• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 December 2016 - 14:40

Whenever RTG releases news of this magnitude, they always release it in a Kickstarter update, and the thread regarding the Kickstarter update is where we discuss it. This time, however, RTG chose not to release a Kickstarter update, so the topic doesn't have its own thread. It's not that the forum is so dead, so much as the fact that RTG has been almost completely ignoring the forum. Also, whenever they release an official Kickstarter update, it sends out an e-mail to backers, who then come to the forum to discuss the Kickstarter update. This time, there was no Kickstarter update, so there was no e-mail to backers, so the usual bump in activity on the forum didn't happen. Why RTG decided not to release a Kickstarter update is far beyond me. At this point, it appears that they care about us just barely enough to not shut down the forum for good. Their PR is basically non-existent, and they've been unwilling to even bother to tell us why.

You're making a lot of assumptions here, many of which aren't true. 

At this point, it's safe to say they don't always release things as a Kickstarter update. Some things they've posted here first. Somethings we've found out randomly elsewhere and started discussing here and then an update came eventually. 

The Dreamfall Chapters News subforum has traditionally been for official updates from the team because it is locked and not just anyone can start a topic there. As such, about the only thing Mods have been posting has been KS updates. Though we can look to change course on that if things demand it. 

Fact of the matter is, this thread here was started in Feb of 15 to discuss the PS version announcement back then, so it seemed like a natural place to continue the discussion. The reason why it was started here and not there can be chalked up to what I said before about general members not being able to start threads in that subforum. 

We're generally not in the habit of starting new threads when there's already a perfectly good one open. So. Here we are. 

As to why the team has basically no PR and them not bothering to explain why... ...that's also not true. Unless something has changed, their PR team is Ragnar. Who is also a whole lot of other things. And he's super busy. And that's why the communication is kind of lacking sometimes. And he's admitted to that multiple times over the years. ...More or less every time we start getting upset over a lack of communication. And that's also why they were trying to hire someone to help out with all of that. At a guess, I'm going to say it hasn't worked out yet, seeing as we've not seen a new face popping in here with news. But hard to say for sure. 

Now. I'm not saying that excuses the lack of updates, the lack of an official announcement to KS backers about this news, the lack of any word about the patch we were supposed to get in October, etc. I'm just saying I know why we haven't gotten it, at least in a broad sense. 

The forum clearly isn't dead. Even if we factor out the Seaman, there's been plenty of chatter here and in other threads about this news lately. I could have started a thread in the other forum. I thought about starting one with the press release. But since we were already chatting here and I'd doubled down on the info in the RTG updates thread that many people follow for those sorts of updates...I figured it wasn't a huge deal just yet. 

• Andreas, khh and NeilClaimer like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#122 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 06 December 2016 - 15:01

Console ports of the game had noting to do with the kickstarter. No reason there should be a ks update at all for this news.

• Edreamer Jamil and Ringtail like this

#123 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 December 2016 - 15:22

Console ports of the game had noting to do with the kickstarter. No reason there should be a ks update at all for this news.

The counterargument would be that since the Kickstarter helped fund the game in the first place, they would want to know about these sorts of developments.

I think the last time there was a console announcement it was mentioned in a KS update and there are backers who ask about it all the time.

Regardless, there are certainly other things it'd be nice to hear about.

#124 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:02

That's true, but there a quite a few people who backed the Kickstarter who assume that whenever there's news of this magnitude, they're going to get an e-mail telling them about it, and there are a decent number of people who backed the Kickstarter who plan to also buy it for a console system. This is why I'm surprised that there's no Kickstarter update. It's PR for a company that chooses not to do hardly any PR for itself. I know Ragnar's busy, but it's not like it takes a lot of time to quickly write up something on Kickstarter or these forums telling us what's going on. It's not like he has to call a press conference or anything.

• charmed23 likes this

#125 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:25

It's PR for a company that chooses not to do hardly any PR for itself.

They did absolutely loads in the first 6 months of the kickstarter popping up. It was aimed at PC gamers. Now it isnt.

If you want to reach console gamers putting PR into places like kickstarter and this forum is a total waste of time. I've seen a bunch of announcements about the game in the dark dank console type places on the internet, so I'd say they are doing fine. I would have posted the links here, but I couldn't find the old thread we had for that.

I'd expect it to be mentioned via KS whenever they next do a PC/Rewards update. For the most part, the PC version and the KS are done with and people have moved on.

#126 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:51

They did absolutely loads in the first 6 months of the kickstarter popping up. It was aimed at PC gamers. Now it isnt.

If you want to reach console gamers putting PR into places like kickstarter and this forum is a total waste of time. I've seen a bunch of announcements about the game in the dark dank console type places on the internet, so I'd say they are doing fine. I would have posted the links here, but I couldn't find the old thread we had for that.

I'd expect it to be mentioned via KS whenever they next do a PC/Rewards update. For the most part, the PC version and the KS are done with and people have moved on.

There are still a ton of Kickstarter rewards to come, and the in-game rewards are going to be a part of the "complete edition", which will be released at the same time as, or shortly before, the console versions, so a release date being set for the console versions is definitely relevant to PC gamers.

#127 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:13

It's possible that something to do with the distributor is holding them back from making a Kickstarter update just yet.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#128 charmed23

charmed23

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Posted 21 December 2016 - 15:30

I'd argue without us, DFC wouldn't have even been possible. So any development of DFC, even if it is after the complete delivery of the PC version--which some of you have argued as the final Kickstarter promise, should have been communicated to us backers first and foremost. It's simply a manner of simple respect to backers, and I think we wholeheartedly deserve that.

That's true, but there a quite a few people who backed the Kickstarter who assume that whenever there's news of this magnitude, they're going to get an e-mail telling them about it, and there are a decent number of people who backed the Kickstarter who plan to also buy it for a console system. This is why I'm surprised that there's no Kickstarter update. It's PR for a company that chooses not to do hardly any PR for itself. I know Ragnar's busy, but it's not like it takes a lot of time to quickly write up something on Kickstarter or these forums telling us what's going on. It's not like he has to call a press conference or anything.

Totally with you here.

It's just a bummer that due to the lack of official Kickstarter updates on the series itself (hence my previous comment on the forum "being dead," I could have been more clear here) I actually had to resort to Google News once every three weeks or so, to see if there was any news. So I was both ecstatic and disappointed to find out about the console ports from other websites instead of from an official Kickstarter update (should have just checked my Twitter regularly though, cuz RTG account was so active on that channel).

Does anyone know when we can start pre-ordering the console ports?

#129 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 24 December 2016 - 15:47

Don't worry, man, they just released a Christmas KS update.

Which says nothing. Great job, guys!!

• Chocobo_sage and charmed23 like this

#130 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 12 April 2017 - 16:12

So apparently May 5th is console release day. :)

Took long enough lol :P

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#131 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 13 April 2017 - 21:35

I just pre ordered on ps4 and at least here in Belgium, they release exactly may 4th, 23h. We can play it an hour before anyone else yaaay :P

#132 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3981 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:20

I ordered a disc version, which means i'll own a physical copy of the game before I get my boxed KS edition. lol :lol: :rolleyes: :evilwonk: :P

• CosmicD likes this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

#133 phvolt220

phvolt220

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:42

If I purchase the physical copy of this game, will I be able to play it in the US?

#134 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:31

If I purchase the physical copy of this game, will I be able to play it in the US?

To the best of my knowledge, the PS4 is region free. (Quick spot check shows all of our games are and I know people who import games for theirs.) A quick Google search seems to indicate the Xbox One is region free as well, so... I think you should be good to go either way. 

#135 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:50

Do PS4 games have regional locks?
In general, neither digital nor disc-based games will be region locked, but PlayStation recommends that all users purchase games at the region of their residence to guarantee the best overall experience and customer service. In certain instances, a software publisher may choose to region lock a game title for specific reasons, but Sony Computer Entertainment expects these instances to be uncommon.

To put the whole thing in a nutshell, putting a region lock on a PS4 game would be an express dick move by publishers. Which would be just a peachy situation if Koch Media wasn't be known for dick moves.

Better to get official confirmation, either from Koch/Deep Silver directly or from Red Thread Games support!

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#136 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3981 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 13:00

PlayStation games aren't region locked unless the publisher requests it, i've never had issue sine i have a couple US games for ps3 and a japanese ps2 game. Though digital/ps store items are revion locked.
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

#137 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 04 May 2017 - 16:47

PlayStation games aren't region locked unless the publisher requests it, i've never had issue sine i have a couple US games for ps3 and a japanese ps2 game. Though digital/ps store items are revion locked.

Interesting to hear you can run a Japanese PS2 game

I've still got a US and UK PS2 from back in the day, and have been using each to play Tales of, Yakuza and Drakengard games of late. Those ones at least appear to be region locked and I'd assumed that was the case for all PS2 games.

• Chocobo_sage likes this

#138 Raiden

Raiden

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 03 November 2017 - 00:50

Hey peeps, long time no see!

Just bumping this to say that Dreamfall Chapters is currently on sale in the PlayStation store for only £7.99, from 01/11/17 to 23/11/17.

I believe you have to have an active PS+ membership to get the deal, as it's part of their Double Discounts event, but it's 68% off the RRP.

• Philip likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: play station, ps4, console, ps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users