137 replies to this topic

#101 Cez

Cez

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 December 2016 - 16:32

Cez, unfortunately, unless things have changed, that is not going to happen.  RTG told us long ago that the cost would be too much.  Honestly, I'd prefer for them to be able to make more games and keep their company open than to run themselves into the ground by creating physical copies of their games.

You are saying that the cost would be too much, but there will be box versions for consoles. So it's not impossible. Please explain me why RTG can publish the game in boxes for consoles, but for PC not. I hope that I don't have to explain one more time why PC supporters should get it...

#102 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 04 December 2016 - 16:43

You are saying that the cost would be too much, but there will be box versions for consoles. So it's not impossible. Please explain me why RTG can publish the game in boxes for consoles, but for PC not. I hope that I don't have to explain one more time why PC supporters should get it...

Because almost no one would buy it. Hence its a waste of money. Consoles are very different, and have a very different distribution and pricing model. Maybe you don't get that. Unless we hear something radical about the PC version for the final/directors cut, there will be no change on that front. Not impossible, but very unlikely. Hopefully no one has to explain that again...

#103 Cez

Cez

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 December 2016 - 17:10

I can't see the difference between games for PC and consoles. In my country distribution of these platforms are the same. Player can buy a game for PC or console on phisical disc or digital. This is the player's choice. RTG doesn't give a choice for PC players and I can't accept that. This is something new for me. I used to have a choice when I buy a game.

#104 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 17:15

Accept t it or not, that's up to you I guess. But that is the situation as it is right now. If you wish to play the game on PC, my advice is not to wait for some physical version that most likely will never arrive. Or get the PS4 version which does come in a box.

#105 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 December 2016 - 17:50

The console market hasn't shifted to digital as strongly as the PC world has at this point. And again... The console version was going to be digital only. They haven't come out and said as much yet, but it's probably safe to assume that the physical console version is only happening now because they're working with a publisher who can help with the distribution, logistics, upfront costs, etc. that come with physical distribution.

Yeah a lot of people hate digital versions but it hasn't been a secret that it would be this way. This is how things more or less are now, for better or for worse. And this isn't the first project to do limited physical copies for KS and then go digital only after that.

All that being said... RTG's deal with the Polish version hit a snag when they went episodic. It's possible that now that the game is finished they could renegotiate a translation deal that might include distribution like the German version did.

But I have no idea how likely that is because I have no idea where RTG is at with any of this stuff. (My guess is not very but I tend towards pessimism.) They haven't even posted anything in here since the console release date announcement. So. Until we know more I wouldn't bank on it because there are just too many maybes and what ifs and uncertainties.
  • NeilClaimer likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#106 Cez

Cez

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:07

"The console market hasn't shifted to digital as strongly as the PC world has at this point"

Fortunatly not in Germany and Poland...

"Yeah a lot of people hate digital versions but it hasn't been a secret that it would be this way. This is how things more or less are now, for better or for worse."

But we can oppose to that. We don't have to accept that. We can talk about this and maybe if RTG see this, they will understand that PC players who helped them make a big success should be respected, not ignored.

But maybe is some way to get this phisical version which was promised for Kickstarter backers? It's really not my fault that I've given by Kickstarter to few money. As I said, I was sure that I would finally buy Polish box edition, that's why I didn't want to overpay on Kickstarter. If I knew back then that Polish edition would never happen, I would pay more. So maybe is some way, maybe RTG could sell me box PC edition somehow, those edition from Kickaster? Maybe they have some extra copy in magazine? really need this :( I was searching ebay and couldn't find this, only German editon :(

#107 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2322 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:13

the kickstarter edition isn't out yet. They probably won't press more than enough to give out to the backers but who knows, maybe you're lucky. Wouldn't hold my breath thought...

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#108 Cez

Cez

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:15

the kickstarter edition isn't out yet. They probably won't press more than enough to give out to the backers but who knows, maybe you're lucky. Wouldn't hold my breath thought...

Oh, I thought that this edition was released for backers months ago O_o Ok, so how I can contact RTG? They don't answer e-mails so is there some other way?

#109 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2293 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:16

Cez, the reason that you can't find it is that the KS copies haven't been released yet.  Once it is, there is a possibility that you could find someone who backed the KS to sell it to you...at this point, that is the only sure way of getting the boxed version.  

#110 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:18

Why were you so sure that you would be able to buy a boxed edition without pledging at a tier that enables you to get a boxed edition? It was made extremely clear on many occasions that these would be the only boxed versions of the game that would ever be created. When RTG explained this, they explained that the reason why is because they are a very small developer which only employs about 13 people, and they have to publish the game on their own. Mass distribution of physical copies of the game is a logistical impossibility for such a small company. RTG also made it clear that the console versions will be digital only. The only reason why this has changed is because they have hired a publisher to publish the console versions of the game months before they will be published. The fact that the complete PC version was released this past June means that it would be a huge waste of money for them to hire a publisher to publish a game that's already been published. It's not going to happen, and I really don't understand why you're so surprised by this. They couldn't have been clearer about this issue, and they've made numerous statements about it over the past four years, all of which stated that no physical copies of the game will be produced, aside from the Kickstarter boxed sets.

• NeilClaimer likes this

#111 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:21

They probably won't press more than enough to give out to the backers but who knows, maybe you're lucky. Wouldn't hold my breath thought...

I sure hope they don't lol That would totally devalue the exclusivity of the kickstarter reward if everyone  else can just buy them for £20-30 after the fact.

• mrKnask and magic88889 like this

#112 Cez

Cez

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:23

Why were you so sure that you would be able to buy a boxed edition without pledging at a tier that enables you to get a boxed edition? It was made extremely clear on many occasions that these would be the only boxed versions of the game that would ever be created. When RTG explained this, they explained that the reason why is because they are a very small developer which only employs about 13 people, and they have to publish the game on their own. Mass distribution of physical copies of the game is a logistical impossibility for such a small company. RTG also made it clear that the console versions will be digital only. The only reason why this has changed is because they have hired a publisher to publish the console versions of the game months before they will be published. The fact that the complete PC version was released this past June means that there it would be a huge waste of money for them to hire a publisher to publish a game that's already been published. It's not going to happen, and I really don't understand why you're so surprised by this. They couldn't have been clearer about this issue, and they've made numerous statements about it over the past four years, all of which stated that no physical copies of the game will be produced, aside from the Kickstarter boxed sets.

As I said, market in Poland is different, we were supposed to have Polish edition, published by Polish developer - cdp.pl. There were a lot of news about this on Polish games websites. Unfortunatly after the game was launched and Kickstarter project was finished, cdp.pl annouced that they won't publish box edition in Poland... It was too late for me to give more money on Kickstarter :/ That's why I'm feeling cheated by Polish developer. They changed their mind and in result, I've lost a chance to get box edition.

This is the reason I would like to get it in some other way.

#113 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:39

As I said, market in Poland is different, we were supposed to have Polish edition, published by Polish developer - cdp.pl. There were a lot of news about this on Polish games websites. Unfortunatly after the game was launched and Kickstarter project was finished, cdp.pl annouced that they won't publish box edition in Poland... It was too late for me to give more money on Kickstarter :/ That's why I'm feeling cheated by Polish developer. They changed their mind and in result, I've lost a chance to get box edition.

I get that, but again... that's not really something RTG has a lot of control over. They had to do what they had to do to get the game finished at all. If they hadn't gone episodic, there likely wouldn't be a game or it would be a quarter of what it is. And the shifts there are what made these deals difficult.

Thus far the only physical copies that are out there were German ones but that was because of a deal with their German distributor. I don't think it's something RTG pushed for so much as it's something the distributor decided to do to drum up sales. Because yes. The market in Germany and a few other places is different. I do understand and appreciate that. 

But the fact of the matter is, all RTG has to do to launch a digital version is press a button to upload it onto Steam or GOG or wherever. That's why so many small developers go that route. It's easy, the cost is just the percentage of sales that the platform takes. For physical distribution, you need infrastructure, logistics, sales agreements, cash upfront to pay for the printing of all of the product (and you better hope it sells, because if you don't sell enough copies to make up the cost of printing, you've lost money)... It is an enormous undertaking. The console version is happening because the publisher they are working with already has the connections to make that happen. RTG doesn't. They're a relatively new company and they're very very small. Trying to get t-shirts printed for the Kickstarter backers who ordered them turned into a huge ordeal and that's why. It isn't easy to do. You don't just push a button and it happens. It takes work and time and money. 

RTG has been having issues with their email, so yeah. Emailing them may not be the best route. You can try reaching out to them on other social media. They will eventually see this thread. But I'd also recommend contacting the companies that might act as distributors in Poland. There isn't much RTG can do if they can't find a distributor that will get on board. If a distributor knows that there is a demand, they may be more willing to make a deal. 

• TalkingOak, GistOfSpirit, bongboy and 1 other like this

#114 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7390 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:53

Game stores here in the UK don't even have a PC section anymore.

They do but they are just cards with codes that you redeem on steam. If RTG could find a way of getting that kind of thing out there it would be cool. :)

The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#115 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 18:59

RTG has been having issues with their email....

For about the last 2 years lol

They do but they are just cards with codes that you redeem on steam. If RTG could find a way of getting that kind of thing out there it would be cool. :)

The last time I went to a 'Game' store, was to buy Alice Madness returns. They had the consoles versions all over the shop. When I asked where the PC version was, they just shrugged and said we dont have any. The guy pointed to the corner at a sort of bargain bin with old games in it, and said they are they only PC games they have. No shelf at all with PC games on. I promised my self I would never set foot in there again. Digital distro all the way I say. Saves on fuel and mileage too :)

#116 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 December 2016 - 19:10

For about the last 2 years lol

Truth. 

Re: PC games in Store - It's really rare to see here. Stores like Game Stop don't really sell PC games anymore at all. They might do preorders for big name special edition releases that have a PC version, but I'm not even 100% sure about that.  :wacko: Most of the other generic department stores or electronics stores only sell cards with time on MMOs, Steam Gift Cards and maybe a card with a key for a specific game. Maybe. And they may have a few PC games but they're like... Bejeweled, Ultimate Poker, and Generic Hidden Object Game Collection #365.

I did buy my GotY copy of Dreamfall as an impulse buy at a Game Stop, but that was a decade ago at this point. And even at that point they'd started to cut down on how many PC games they carried at a lot of places. Because that's around when I finally sold my soul to Valve. :P

• Mr_Russ likes this

#117 Leonard Zelig

Leonard Zelig

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCologne (Germany)

Posted 04 December 2016 - 19:12

So maybe is some way, maybe RTG could sell me box PC edition somehow, those edition from Kickaster? Maybe they have some extra copy in magazine? really need this :( I was searching ebay and couldn't find this, only German editon :(

The German edition only features a Steam key (and a useless disc ;) ), so you still have a boxed version and be able to play it in English.

#118 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 04 December 2016 - 20:56

So, release date is March 24.

Interesting that RTG works with Deep Silver on that - new publisher has been found...

Lovely to see the trailer for PS4, though I will probably not play it on PS4. All the console genre I have always blocked out, both to bye and to play. The PS4 version looks fantastic, and is in good health I can tell. :)

I'm in the process of replaying DFC, and I have come to the mouse-trap. Because it has become a process. :P Btw. I just love the bartenders shoes.

#119 charmed23

charmed23

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:12

question, why does this exciting news (of PS4 & XOne release) not have its own thread over at DFC General discussion??! Is the forum that dead? 

• MisterMetropolis likes this

#120 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:26

question, why does this exciting news (of PS4 & XOne release) not have its own thread over at DFC General discussion??! Is the forum that dead? 

Whenever RTG releases news of this magnitude, they always release it in a Kickstarter update, and the thread regarding the Kickstarter update is where we discuss it. This time, however, RTG chose not to release a Kickstarter update, so the topic doesn't have its own thread. It's not that the forum is so dead, so much as the fact that RTG has been almost completely ignoring the forum. Also, whenever they release an official Kickstarter update, it sends out an e-mail to backers, who then come to the forum to discuss the Kickstarter update. This time, there was no Kickstarter update, so there was no e-mail to backers, so the usual bump in activity on the forum didn't happen. Why RTG decided not to release a Kickstarter update is far beyond me. At this point, it appears that they care about us just barely enough to not shut down the forum for good. Their PR is basically non-existent, and they've been unwilling to even bother to tell us why.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: play station, ps4, console, ps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users