Posted 29 June 2015 - 20:36

great

#42 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 13:09

Look for posts from Ragnar on the forum. He's talked about it a couple times in the last few weeks.  Basically, getting DFC onto PS4 is dependent on upgrading the engine to Unity 5 -- and Unity 5 isn't out yet.  They're still hoping for midyear, but it's a little outside their control right now.

I wonder how much better the graphics will look with Unity 5?  

#43 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 July 2015 - 14:15

I wouldn't really expect the graphics to look any different. I assume they'll mostly keep using the same textures and shaders.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#44 Raiden

Raiden

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 14 October 2015 - 14:28

This means that I have to buy this game a second time for PS4 :)

Though I'll still be buying it again on the PS4. 

I'm hoping that maaaaybe they'll be super nice and find a way for the Kickstarter backers to get a PS4 copy at discount. I have this weird issue about not liking to pay for the same thing twice, but I may end up doing so if it's the only way to finally be able to to play the whole game. I'd never expect it completely gratis though, as I can see how much time and effort is going into the porting process, so I'd feel completely justified in paying them something extra for that. 

In sort of related news, I spotted Broken Age available as one of the free games on Playstation Plus this month, which is pretty cool. I haven't actually tried it out yet though, as my PC was able to handle that one without issue when I got the Kickstarter copy, so it seems too fresh to play through again.

#45 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 October 2015 - 22:06

I'm hoping that maaaaybe they'll be super nice and find a way for the Kickstarter backers to get a PS4 copy at discount. I have this weird issue about not liking to pay for the same thing twice, but I may end up doing so if it's the only way to finally be able to to play the whole game. I'd never expect it completely gratis though, as I can see how much time and effort is going into the porting process, so I'd feel completely justified in paying them something extra for that. 

We do try our best to be nice, especially when it comes to those of you who helped us get this game made in the first place, but we're unable to offer any sort of backer discount for the PS4 version. There's no framework for that, and we also don't have the ability to distribute free codes. We'd have to pay Sony for those, and that would be prohibitively expensive.

Hopefully it will be worth paying for...again!

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited and 7 others like this

#46 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 October 2015 - 22:07

I wouldn't really expect the graphics to look any different. I assume they'll mostly keep using the same textures and shaders.

Textures, yes. Shaders (and lighting) won't be the same. I'm not saying it's going to look a lot better, but there will be changes.

• Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 5 others like this

#47 Raiden

Raiden

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 24 October 2015 - 00:45

We do try our best to be nice, especially when it comes to those of you who helped us get this game made in the first place, but we're unable to offer any sort of backer discount for the PS4 version. There's no framework for that, and we also don't have the ability to distribute free codes. We'd have to pay Sony for those, and that would be prohibitively expensive.

I understand. 

The reason I was originally hoping that it might be possible is that I remember back when Assassin's Creed Black Flag launched in 2013, if you bought the PS3 version then Ubisoft put a code in every box which would allow you to download the PS4 copy from the Playstation Store, and pay only $10 instead of the full $60. I guess the circumstances are slightly different though, and Sony might not be so eager to make that more than a one-off arrangement. 

I appreciate the personal reply. :)

• Tina likes this

#48 Chope49

Chope49

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 23:58

Ok . Now that Nov is vastly approaching . What is the release date for Dreamfall Chapters for the PS4? 

And also will it be disk or an download? 

#49 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 October 2015 - 00:22

There is no release date yet. The team is always really hesitant to give release dates until right before release to minimize the chances of delays. But I'd guess it won't be for a bit yet. As per their most recent KS update, they've been having some issues with Unity 5 being buggy and the game needs to be functioning in Unity 5 before they can port it for PS4. 

However, it will be download only. At least at this juncture. 

Sorry, I know that first part isn't particularly helpful, but as soon as there's a release date, the team will likely distribute it across all of their various communication platforms, so we'll know as soon as it's official. 

• Morten, Tina and NeilClaimer like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#50 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2015 - 17:16

Anyone familiar with the speed (or delay) of the Playstation Store publication process?

• Vainamoinen likes this

#51 Chope49

Chope49

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 19:24

853844.jpg

The wait continues .......sigh....

#52 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6104 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 20:11

Anyone familiar with the speed (or delay) of the Playstation Store publication process?

A teensy bit, from all those Telltale episodes. Grains of salt here.

Basically, you hand in a game build you consider final and wait for two weeks or longer for Sony's evaluation to be finished. When you get the OK from them, you may publish any time... if it's the correct weekday, that is, which differs e.g. from PSN Europe to the US.

When you DON'T get the OK, it's back to the keyboards for the team.

• Idinyphe likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#53 Leonard Zelig

Leonard Zelig

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCologne (Germany)

Posted 15 November 2015 - 16:04

Ok . Now that Nov is vastly approaching . What is the release date for Dreamfall Chapters for the PS4? 

And also will it be disk or an download? 

I would assume a release in spring 2016. There's a disc-version for PC here in Germany, so they could also publish a PS4-version. But we will see.

#54 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6104 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 16:17

I would assume a release in spring 2016. There's a disc-version for PC here in Germany, so they could also publish a PS4-version. But we will see.

No relation, at all, unfortunately. 

There will NEVER be a console disc version of Chapters. Ragnar has declared the cost to be prohibitively expensive. It's just not a popular enough game, sadly.

The PS4 release is PSN only, and will remain that way.

As to the exact date, if the last plan we've heard of is unchanged, Books One to Four could still land on PSN this year.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#55 Leonard Zelig

Leonard Zelig

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:39

No relation, at all, unfortunately. 

There will NEVER be a console disc version of Chapters. Ragnar has declared the cost to be prohibitively expensive. It's just not a popular enough game, sadly.

The PS4 release is PSN only, and will remain that way.

As to the exact date, if the last plan we've heard of is unchanged, Books One to Four could still land on PSN this year.

There are even PS4-disc-versions of The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, Legend of Kay, Shovel Knight and Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. Not very popular, too. How expensive can it be? We don't live in the N64-era, a disc is much cheaper than a module. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey was released for Xbox as Microsoft already had skipped the platform for Xbox 360.

#56 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:14

How expensive can it be?

More than they can realistically afford. Thats all we need to know I guess.

We don't live in the N64-era, a disc is much cheaper than a module.

Back when n64 games cost between £40-£60.... oh wait.. thats about what a AAA game costs these days :)

On a serious note however, if anyone wanted a physical copy they were up for grabs in the kickstarter. After that, I wouldnt expect to see any more, which is perfectly reasonable IMHO.

#57 Leonard Zelig

Leonard Zelig

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 19:43

Back when n64 games cost between £40-£60.... oh wait.. thats about what a AAA game costs these days :)

It was more about if you don't sell all modules, you are fucked. Because Nintendo charged too much for them.

I already own the retail version for PC, but as a collector I would also like to own the PS4-version on disc. Today I pre-ordered the Limited Edition of Life is Strange. That's an adventure game about a schoolgirl. So there seems to be a market for niche titles or they just can afford the risk.

#58 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 November 2015 - 20:09

Life is Strange has the benefit of Square Enix backing it up. It's also been pretty well received. 

To be perfectly honest, more and more markets are moving away from physical distribution because it's costly. It makes sense for bigger titles, but I've already started to see games I like for handheld moving to digital only releases. It's just more cost effective for niche titles that way. 

It's unfortunate, but the answer to "how expensive can it be?" is often much more than one would think. Not to mention it's usually a logistical nightmare for a small company to do print runs of physical items. I've seen it screw over Kickstarters time and time again. There's almost always a minimum print run and a huge upfront cost. And no guarantee that you'll sell all of your product. (The reason why so many smaller publishing projects have gone Print On Demand and PDF is because of the up front costs and the fact that they can't afford to mulch hundreds if not thousands of books if they don't sell. Major publishers can.)

So yeah... I know it sucks, but I'd say unless something changes down the road, a physical PS4 disc isn't going to happen. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#59 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 November 2015 - 20:52

I already own the retail version for PC, but as a collector I would also like to own the PS4-version on disc. Today I pre-ordered the Limited Edition of Life is Strange. That's an adventure game about a schoolgirl. So there seems to be a market for niche titles or they just can afford the risk.

The collectors edition of Life is Strange only happened because of massive fan demands and unexpectedly good sales, though, it was planned to be digital only. And still the PS4 and Xbox versions were €10 more than the PC version, probably because of licensing costs.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#60 Chope49

Chope49

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 19:14

Any news yet?