Photo

Book 2 Trailer and Screenshots discussion (big spoilers!)

Screenshots Book 2

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#261 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 27 February 2015 - 19:06

No, it won't be like the back to the future game of teltales where you have five sepparate steam games. I really thought I read that somewhere.

DOn't know the technical details but I believe Ragnar or somebody else told that not even the "book" assets will be so modular that it could just be simply added or removed to the architecture as steam DLC, and they will just have to pack the extra book content / assets and we will download the binary diffs, the game will just get bigger from our perspective

#262 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 19:12

Good thing khh isn't my girlfriend. ;)

In all seriousness, I agree that there's a point at which arguing semantics isn't helpful. On the other hand, I don't see anything wrong with friendly debate on these things. 

Read: I'd rather have a girlfriend who doesn't mind sparring on weird random topics from time to time. :P

That is my understanding as well, but I'm not an expert on how all of that works. 

No, of course you can argue semantics, no problem with that.

The problem comes when you start missing the point of the read read because of the discussion.

(Note: "you" meaning anyone, not you).

No, it won't be like the back to the future game of teltales where you have five sepparate steam games. I really thought I read that somewhere.

DOn't know the technical details but I believe Ragnar or somebody else told that not even the "book" assets will be so modular that it could just be simply added or removed to the architecture as steam DLC, and they will just have to pack the extra book content / assets and we will download the binary diffs, the game will just get bigger from our perspective

Yeah I asked that a few months ago, but they just told me they would not be separate entries in Steam (Like BTTF), but even being the same entry in Steam, if it's uploaded as a DLC it won't auto download, while if it's just an update to the game, updates do download automatically.

I'm asking because I want it downloaded when I'm back from work, so I really hope they upload it as an update.

#263 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 19:12

Based on what Ragnar said way back when it was announced (check the FAQ) the goal was to have the whole thing basically be one game once all Books are out. And they've discussed it like it will be a patch / update when asked. 

...But I don't know enough about the difference between how Steam handles patches vs. DLC to know all the technically details for sure. I've been assuming, based on what little we know, that it will be an automagical deal. ...but I could be wrong. 

EDIT: 

No, of course you can argue semantics, no problem with that.

The problem comes when you start missing the point of the read read because of the discussion.

(Note: "you" meaning anyone, not you).

I'm sorry, if you want this discussion to stay on topic, you'll have to take it up with a moderator. 

...Wait... 

;) 

No I get what you mean, I'm just cheeky. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#264 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 19:17

Ohhh Myyy Goood... I wanted to say "real deal", not "read read".

I'm getting stupider... :wacko:

#265 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 19:27

Ohhh Myyy Goood... I wanted to say "real deal", not "read read".

I'm getting stupider... :wacko:

I got what you meant. ;) (And not stupider. Srsly. You want to know how many typos I go back and change later? FFS, Ragnar quoted a typo I made a couple pages back.) 

There's a Neil deGrasse Tyson interview where he talks about how when you get so lost debating the meaning of meaning you lose the ability to be a productive contributor to our understanding of how the world works. I don't agree with everything that he says there, but there is a fair bit of wisdom to parts of it. 

...And I typed up a whole new thing going back to the Perfection argument, but we were trying so hard to rerail this, so I'll just leave it at that. 

~*~

SO YOU GUYS WHAT DO YOU THINK OF BIP!?

• Ringtail likes this

#266 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2322 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 27 February 2015 - 19:43

I think the seaman is leaking quite a lot these days, we might want to fix that door :P

I had totally forgot about Bip, and sometimes I feel like I'm blind because I miss a lot... Good thing there are many of us watching and discussing trailers and stuff ;) :)

• agirlnamedbob and Christoffer Sunrider Grav like this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#267 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 27 February 2015 - 19:44

Well there's different ways that this can work as far as I know.

When I made a mod for portal 2, all you had to do is make a new directory and add some essential game core files so the engine (and steam) detected that I had a new mod, where I could then plug in all my maps that I made, add declarations to some scripts for transfering between the maps.

That's just the epitomy of modular design, a game that recognizes a new dr structure and can see it as a new game from there,

From what I've seen from extracting the shitbot samples everything is somehow being cataloged and compiled to make it playable for the engine. All audio and assets are packs. Something tells me that they have to contain all book 2 assets into some repository and recompile it; after adding structures for the consequential gameplay, adding new ui, replacing the old one etc.

They essentially need to just make their game bgger in design branch, and re export it to steam, and then we will catch the diffs.

It's not so simple as just have lets say: make a "book2.cab", where it has a few key basic rules , a config file and the repository for book 2 sepparately.

again I have to add the disclaimer that I might be totally wrong or partially, but I think their design tree is more humanly readable than what the game outputs for me to sift trough :)

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#268 Christoffer Sunrider Grav

Christoffer Sunrider Grav

RTG Art Director

• RTG Staff
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 19:51

I think the seaman is leaking quite a lot these days, we might want to fix that door :P

I had totally forgot about Bip, and sometimes I feel like I'm blind because I miss a lot... Good thing there are many of us watching and discussing trailers and stuff ;) :)

"The seaman is leaking.." Ha ha! I die! 

• Tina, MichaelH, agirlnamedbob and 8 others like this

#269 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 20:02

...Well...I guess as long as it's just the Seaman and not the Private Parts...  :wacko:

• Edreamer Jamil, mrKnask and Bruno like this

#270 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 20:05

Hahaha damn, no pun intended xD

• debro likes this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#271 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 20:21

SO YOU GUYS WHAT DO YOU THINK OF BIP!?

I think this is a question that can't really be answered until we have had a chance to play book 2.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#272 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 20:36

? You might want to try that quote again Dmm ;)

I deleted the double post. I'll assume if there's more he wants to say, he'll add it later. ;) 

I think this is a question that can't really be answered until we have had a chance to play book 2.

I dunno. I've clearly already made up my mind about Anna. :P

You're right, but we can still speculate. I'm still trying to churn over ideas to come up with a good solid theory here. 

• Edreamer Jamil and Mr Moo like this

#273 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 20:50

Heh, OK, I think I'll delete my post as well then, looks kinda weird all by itself up there... Delete-party :P

Back to topic (kinda): Speculation is the fuel that get us throught the waiting, so I would say that speculation is as important as mysteries Señorita ;)

• debro likes this

#274 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 20:55

I deleted the double post. I'll assume if there's more he wants to say, he'll add it later. ;)

I dunno. I've clearly already made up my mind about Anna. :P

You're right, but we can still speculate. I'm still trying to churn over ideas to come up with a good solid theory here. 

My browser got hung up and wouldn't post properly.

Poor Anna. :tear:

It is April's long lost son whom she became separated from due to the Azadi.  So the wild speculation begins.

• agirlnamedbob, mrKnask, pancakeghost and 1 other like this

#275 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 21:01

It is April's long lost son whom she became separated from due to the Azadi.  So the wild speculation begins.

I like the cut of your jib, sir. 

I've actually been wondering if something like that would even be possible... ...But I didn't want to be the one to start that derail. 

• Dmm likes this

#276 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 21:14

I've actually been wondering if something like that would even be possible... ...But I didn't want to be the one to start that derail. 

I think it could be possible, Saga"s parents are quite different from each other. It might help explain a large part of April's attitude in Dreamfall. Some may ask why she never mentioned losing her child in Dreamfall, but I would say it would be a very personal, tragic and painful memory that she didn't have any desire to share with anyone. Like I said it is wild speculation, with nothing at all to back it up at this point.

#277 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 21:20

Bip looks like he's, like, ten, so April would have had to have had him when she was like, 19. Not saying that's impossible, but it seems highly unlikely. Cool idea though.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#278 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

-Snip-

I think that actually would be called rerail or something at this point ;)

Personally I hope not, (depends on the whole saga thought). Feels to much like "everyone important is either family or know each other from before". (Earlier games.) Book one wasn't like that, and I guess and hope book two won't be either :)

• Dmm likes this

#279 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

I mean, it's motherfucking Bip, people!

That's quite a depressing occupation, especially for an orphan.

Actually, let's keep the bip glorification to a minimum until we find out he's not a Damien. :blink:

• agirlnamedbob, Ringtail, Dmm and 2 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#280 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 21:29

I didn't necessarily mean that Bip was related to April in that way, but more is that even possible? The odds of that actually being Bip's backstory seem slim to me, but the idea of a human+dolmari child is interesting. Have we run into any individuals in the game who are of mixed parentage? Are there families out there who are being torn apart by the Azadi occupation? 

Actually, let's keep the bip glorification to a minimum until we find out he's not a Damien. :blink:

1.) Speculation, not glorification. He looks like a little sneak thief, so odds are good he's a little shit, to be honest. Possibly a lovable one, but who knows. 

2.) I'd rather glorify Bip than start another Damien Is The Worst vs. Hey, I Liked Damien debate. 

• Vainamoinen and debro like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Screenshots, Book 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users