bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 22:26

Fixed it for ya :)

Well, that sort of implies that book one doesn't play well for me. Book one plays well enough for me that if book two plays just as well, I'll be happy with it. If book two plays better than book one, I'll be even happier, but I don't expect major performance issues to be addressed in the book two patch. I just hope book two doesn't include anything new that causes new performance issues. The only reason I thought of this is because RTG has pointed out that they don't have a lot of computers with a lot of different hardware combos, and they don't seem to have many/any outdated computers, so they can't do testing that's anywhere near as extensive as a major development team/publisher can.

• Mr Moo likes this

#63 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 23:16

Well, for book 2 to play the same as book 1 would mean:

1. Delays in deployment for non steam users

2. huge performance issues.

3. many players who can't play on their 32bit OS

4. MAC release broken on day 1

And thus much frustration for all parties until most of the issues are finally resolved a few weeks later.

So yeah, I opt for 'better' than book 1...

#64 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1500 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 19 February 2015 - 23:22

I'm really excited about this, and I feel so good about the March release. Even more so because of the Kickstarter anniversary. Keep up the good work, RTG!

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#65 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 23:22

Well, for book 2 to play the same as book 1 would mean:

1. Delays in deployment for non steam users

2. huge performance issues.

3. many players who can't play on their 32bit OS

4. MAC release broken on day 1

And thus much frustration for all parties until most of the issues are finally resolved a few weeks later.

So yeah, I opt for 'better' than book 1...

I mean I hope that when book two is initially released it plays as well as book one currently plays. I think you mean that you hope that when book two is released it plays better than book one played when it was initially released, and if that's the case we're on the same page.

• Crowboy likes this

#66 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 February 2015 - 23:38

I mean I hope that when book two is initially released it plays as well as book one currently plays. I think you mean that you hope that when book two is released it plays better than book one played when it was initially released, and if that's the case we're on the same page.

In general, Book Two will perform about the same as Book One does right now. It'll be decent. There's not much we can do to improve performance at this point; we're using a third-party engine and pushing that to its utmost limits. Sure, we could go in and cut half the buildings in our cities, reduce textures to a quarter resolution, etc. But I'm not sure that's what people want. We were never aiming for 60+ fps. It's an adventure game; as developers and players, we're happy with 30. But, of course, not less than that.

There are some things that might help — we're upgrading to Unity 4.6 which will enable us to make 64-bit Mac builds. That should help OS-X users. And, in time, Unity 5 might improve everyone's performance. But we don't know yet, it's unknown territory.

Marcuria will be slightly more optimised than Europolis was, simply through experience. We know now what works and what doesn't. But we are doing things that the engine wasn't necessarily made to do. It's insane — our artists and programmers deserve some sort of Nobel prize for their work on this game. It shouldn't be possible, and some things are still not possible; they work through sheer force of will.

So, yeah, expect no miracles — but also don't expect the game to perform worse. It won't. It'll be the same-or-slightly-better, in general.

• Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 10 others like this

#67 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 19 February 2015 - 23:46

We were never aiming for 60+ fps. It's an adventure game; as developers and players, we're happy with 30..

With the trouble shooting over the last 4-5 months, I have always said 30 is fit for purpose. This has been fine on intel cpus since the main performance update. :)

#68 addik

addik

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 February 2015 - 00:23

This will be released right after I take my final exams in college (ever!), so I'm perfectly fine with a March 10 release!

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, Em_TC and 2 others like this

#69 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:00

Honestly, just glad we have an official release date finally.

• Crowboy likes this

jHevh80.jpg

#70 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:52

Marcuria will be slightly more optimised than Europolis was, simply through experience. We know now what works and what doesn't. But we are doing things that the engine wasn't necessarily made to do. It's insane — our artists and programmers deserve some sort of Nobel prize for their work on this game. It shouldn't be possible, and some things are still not possible; they work through sheer force of will.

You Guys deserved Nobel prize for futher optimisation of Book One. It is awesome how you fixed framerate issues and optimised Europolis. Book One is playble for me even that my system is far under minimum requriments.

• Veen Friend likes this

#71 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:59

Some people are interested about PS4 version so this is what i found in comments of Kickstarter #75:

RedThreadGames

@Panos: It's coming, but we're delayed with the PS4 for reasons out of our control. It'll happen when it happens, hopefully by Book Three!

• Tina and CosmicD like this

#72 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:17

Some people are interested about PS4 version so this is what i found in comments of Kickstarter #75:

On that subject, I think this quote from Ragnar is quite enlightening

PS4 version is still hamstrung by in-development Unity support: we can't finalise that until Unity-for-PS4 supports everything we need, which means porting everything to Unity 5.0, and that's not happening yet. Fingers crossed, it won't take long. We really do want to get books one + two out for console this spring.

Also, remember me promising that the PS4 version wouldn't negatively affect our PC/Mac/Linux timelines? So that's still the case. It wasn't bullshit. The two are NOT connected and the desktop versions will release as soon as they are ready, polished, tested.

• trentjaspar likes this

#73 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 February 2015 - 16:27

You Guys deserved Nobel prize for futher optimisation of Book One. It is awesome how you fixed framerate issues and optimised Europolis. Book One is playble for me even that my system is far under minimum requriments.

The annoying thing is that this varies so much. A lot of people with low specs are enjoying the game, while some players with really powerful hardware are having a hard time (or claiming to; it could be some players expect 100fps and no glitches, which will never happen). We don't know why this is, and there's not a whole lot we can do, since we're using a third-party engine and we can't test on EVERY single configuration in the world.

Glad to hear that the game is playable for you, though :)

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, khh and 1 other like this

#74 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 February 2015 - 16:28

This will be released right after I take my final exams in college (ever!), so I'm perfectly fine with a March 10 release!

That was admittedly our biggest reason for delaying the game. We knew your exams were coming up and we figured we'd wait. You can thank us later!

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited and 12 others like this

#75 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 16:37

That was admittedly our biggest reason for delaying the game. We knew your exams were coming up and we figured we'd wait. You can thank us later!

Most credible explanation since Telltale's "the TWaU episode is not very long because we respect you guys". Thumbs up! ;)
  • Edreamer Jamil and trentjaspar like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#76 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 February 2015 - 16:52

The delay will also make my "clean out apartment and move into new one before March 1st" a lot easier, so I have absolutely no complaints about waiting a bit more :D

• Chocobo_sage and Em_TC like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#77 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 20 February 2015 - 18:24

....so I have absolutely no complaints about waiting a bit more :D

Given the 8 year gap between games, a few months between episodes is nothing :)
  • Tina, WorldsReunited and Em_TC like this

#78 lars

lars

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 20 February 2015 - 21:04

Hi everyone,

Exciting news! We're finally announcing the Book Two release date this afternoon (Oslo

time) and we wanted you to be (amongst) the first to know.

Fantastic, great, insane news.

Doubts are gone carried by the wind, hope has never been higher.

Waiting until ... has no importance.

Book 2 exists, and it will be mine to explore.

Thanks for posting this news

Used with Steam version                      Used with HumbleBundle version

El Capitain 10.11 beta 4                                       El Capitan 10.11.2

Macbook 12 pouces                                             MacMini 2012

1,2 GHz Intel Core M                                            2,5 GHz Intel Core I5

8Go 1600 MHz DDR                                            16 GO 1600 MHZ DDR3

Resolution 2304 x 1440 SSD                               Resolution 1680 x 1050 SSD 500 Go

Intel Graphics 5300 1536 Mo                               Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo

#79 CrimsynSeraph

CrimsynSeraph

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 23:12

Any chance of early access for those of us who Kickstarted?

He who runs in front of a car gets tired.
He who runs behind a car gets exhausted.

Proud Scion of Dynamic Chaos.

#80 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 February 2015 - 23:27

Ragnar said there is a tiny chance on 24H early access through Steam.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, book 2, book two, rebels, release, release date

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users