Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 15:59

(link to kickstarter update)

Announcing the Dreamfall Chapters Book Two

release date

Hi everyone,

Exciting news! We're finally announcing the Book Two release date this afternoon (Oslo

time) and we wanted you to be (amongst) the first to know.

Here is the full press release we're sending out, plus some additional words for our

backers at the end:

Dreamfall Chapters Book One: Reborn was released late last year, and we're now

almost ready to unleash our second episode.

Dreamfall Chapters Book Two: Rebels arrives on Steam, GOG and the Humble Store

for Windows/Mac/Linux Tuesday March 10th.

The highly rated and Kickstarter funded follow-up to adventure classics The Longest Journey

and Dreamfall, Dreamfall Chapters is an episodic story-driven adventure about

choice and consequence set in parallel worlds: a cyberpunk vision of the future and a

magical fantasy realm.

Book Two continues the story that began with Book One, and follows protagonists Kian

Alvane and Zoë Castillo on their journeys to uncover the conspiracy that threatens the

twin worlds of order and chaos.

In addition to revisiting locations and characters from Book One, Book Two contains a

brand new city to explore: Marcuria, the capital of the Northlands, home to the Azadi

occupying forces and the resistance.

The first full trailer for Book Two will arrive February 24th.

So why March 10th, and not February, as teased on Twitter a few weeks ago?

We initially expected Book Two to launch before the end of February (in fact, February

24th was our set-in-stone release date) but a few days ago we realised that this wasn't

going to happen.

The wait between the first two episodes has been longer than expected. This is due to

a number of factors, including the massive scope of the second episode — up to 50%

bigger than Book One, which took an average of four hours to play through — the

technical challenges in building (and bug fixing) a functioning framework for an episodic

game, and the very, very long test cycle involved in a choice-and-consequence based

game that's now approaching ten hours in length after only two episodes.

It was the (lack of) testing and bug fixing that triggered our decision to delay release a

couple of weeks. Book Two is officially done, and the team is working on Book Three,

but we haven't been able to test it thoroughly enough to be comfortable with releasing it

just yet. With another two weeks of testing, bug fixing and polishing, we will be able to

deliver a much more stable and enjoyable experience.

We do anticipate a more rapid development process for Book Three, however, which is

already well into production. Books Four and Five will arrive later this year, concluding

the story of Zoë Castillo, the Dreamer.

Thanks everyone for your continued support and feedback, and we hope the wait for

Book Two won't be too painful!

Team RTG

• Tina, Chocobo_sage, khh and 16 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#2 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3986 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:03

Good decision to delay for testing/bug fixing purposes. Not long to wait for everyone and a trailer to get us salivating soon! :)
(Except me of course, but i'm a weirdo)
  • popcorngal and Anouk like this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#3 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:03

I have so much more respect for Tina for normally being the one to post these. Formatting that took forever. 

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, khh and 5 others like this

#4 MailMan

MailMan

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:05

Yay!

I don't mind waiting a bit longer. I'm trusting the boys & gals to make the end product that much more polished :)

"Your rat catching skills will matter little in the grand scheme of things."

#5 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:09

Even that i'm dissapointed about a release date and delay i must say that development of Book Two is very transparent and fair so yeah. Keep going!

#6 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:14

I have so much more respect for Tina for normally being the one to post these. Formatting that took forever.

Just wait until you get one with a lot of sections/headings ;) the sizing disappears during the copy/paste. Luckily the bold/italics/pictures gets copied directly. And I've developed a technique of alt+tab + remembering words at the end of the lines. It'll get easier over time!

Also, thanks! I noticed the update via mail and went over to my computer, but saw you were already posting. It's best if my colleagues don't see me taking a break to do these things too often ;)
  • agirlnamedbob and Veen Friend like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#7 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:15

Even that i'm dissapointed about a release date and delay i must say that development of Book Two is very transparent and fair so yeah. Keep going!

…TWO WEEKS!

:P

• khh, Lee-m, Em_TC and 4 others like this

#8 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:16

Yeah. I mean, I'd love the game to have made the February release, but all things considered, I think this is the best option. It could be worse. And I'd much rather have the game thoroughly tested than have it pushed out with a greater than usual number of bugs and performance issues. 

And I definitely appreciate the honesty and transparency as to what's up. :)

EDIT: Hah, yeah Tina. Usually by the time I get to starting to post someone else has posted it, so when I saw I was the only Mod on I was like "Dammit...Well, let's try this again..." And then I was afraid one of you would ninja it in before I finished formatting. :P Hopefully I did alright this time. 

• Mr Moo likes this

#9 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:17

…TWO WEEKS!

Nope, 4 months and 17 days :P

• ChrisR likes this

#10 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:17

…TWO WEEKS!

Two weeks?  :P  :unsure:

• NeilClaimer and Moto200 like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#11 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:21

As I said in the other thread I suspected it might be pushed back from a February release. I think it's probably a good idea - the bugs did mar the Book 1 release a little for some people. And we're good at waiting :)

Also, thanks! I noticed the update via mail and went over to my computer, but saw you were already posting. It's best if my colleagues don't see me taking a break to do these things too often ;)

I also went to see if anyone was working on the update, and saw that Erika was already plugging away at it. It's nice that we have this redundancy.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#12 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:23

So, you mods can spy at each other? Or are you simply connected into a big hivemind?  :D

• agirlnamedbob, trentjaspar and NeilClaimer like this

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#13 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:25

I'm announcing that my slilence will fully end soonTM

#14 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:31

So, you mods can spy at each other? Or are you simply connected into a big hivemind?  :D

Being connected to the hivemind is part of the great Moderator initiation ceremony. The details of which are a well kept secret, so I can't tell you more. 

(But I can tell you that you can see who's browsing what topic or posting where from the "Who's Online" list/by hovering over someone's username, unless they've set their browsing to private.)

• wandrew likes this

#15 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:32

EDIT: Hah, yeah Tina. Usually by the time I get to starting to post someone else has posted it, so when I saw I was the only Mod on I was like "Dammit...Well, let's try this again..." And then I was afraid one of you would ninja it in before I finished formatting. :P Hopefully I did alright this time. 

Yeah, you did great! :D

As Erika said, I just looked at the "who's online" list. It said "Erika is posting in Announcement and News" or something ;) I always check that before posting a new update, if there are other mods online :)

• agirlnamedbob likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#16 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:45

As Erika said, I just looked at the "who's online" list. It said "Erika is posting in Announcement and News" or something ;) I always check that before posting a new update, if there are other mods online :)

You're just ruining the mental image I cooked up that mods could see exactly what forum posters are doing "live" (I mean literally watching the words getting typed and stuff), in the "spy" scenario, or the "I feel a disturbance in the Mod, as if Erika is posting about a new update" alternative, in the hive-mind scenario. :)

(Sorry for the derailment, I'll shut up about the mods now)
  • agirlnamedbob and NeilClaimer like this

#17 pancakeghost

pancakeghost

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:45

Siiiighhhhhh I am a bit disappointed because March 9th I start an intense month-long CELTA course to become a real life teacher and turn my life around etc etc, and will essentially become a hermit. I was excited about the February release bc it would mean I could play the game before that. But that's my personal grumble-grumble. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to play it anyway and not wait another month like it happened to me with Reborn. Tsssk, universe, stop playing with my heart.

But still, thank god for a definite release date, we can now make plans accordingly :) Excited about the trailer next week.

• Mr Moo and PoltoraIvana like this

#18 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:49

You're just ruining the mental image I cooked up that mods could see exactly what forum posters are doing "live" (I mean literally watching the words getting typed and stuff), in the "spy" scenario, or the "I feel a disturbance in the Mod, as if Erika is posting about a new update" alternative, in the hive-mind scenario. :)

Yeah, we definitely can't do that. Sorry to disappoint. ;) 

(And I'm glad for it. The last time the whole "Spying on who's where doing what" thing came up some people freaked out. :P

Siiiighhhhhh I am a bit disappointed because March 9th I start an intense month-long CELTA course to become a real life teacher and turn my life around etc etc, and will essentially become a hermit. I was excited about the February release bc it would mean I could play the game before that. But that's my personal grumble-grumble. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to play it anyway and not wait another month like it happened to me with Reborn. Tsssk, universe, stop playing with my heart.

But still, thank god for a definite release date, we can now make plans accordingly :) Excited about the trailer next week.

Good luck with that! I hope it goes well. And hey, look at it this way. Book Two will be there, waiting for you, when you need a short break to destress. Or as a really great reward when you're done with the course. You'll have to let us know how it goes!

MORE ON TOPIC ISH!

...Can we get high res versions of the new Key Art with the Book 2 trailer? ;) 

• khh, Antiheldin and pancakeghost like this

#19 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 19 February 2015 - 16:50

I guess its a longer wait than everyone would want. But it doesn't matter. Everyone has the release date, and that's the main thing. Happy about this :)

…TWO WEEKS!

..now im gonna have to watch Total recall (the original)
  • Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, popcorngal and 2 others like this

#20 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1565 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 19 February 2015 - 17:14

:D

I look forward to Book 2 with anticipation. BoUT2 release is tomorrow, which will give us something to do in the meantime.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, book 2, book two, rebels, release, release date

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users