Photo

[FANGAME] Dream.Unity demo -> Explore Dreamfall locations in Unity!

dreamfall unity unityengine grubber underground cave guardian guardians realm

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:41

Hi everyone, as an experiment I have been trying to recreate scenes from Dreamfall with Unity for the last week and a half or so. 

For those of you unfamiliar with Unity, it is a game engine that has a free version and a commercial version. The bulk of this project was created with the free version, however I compiled it using a trial version of the commercial version to use cool features such as lighting effects and nice looking water.

Here is a proof of concept of Dreamfall scenes in a Unity game!

This playable demo is up for download, and it should be compatible with any Windows 7 or newer PC with .NET framework.

Unfortunately this probably took me longer than it should have, as I do not know any programming and just started using Unity 1.5 weeks ago..

I am currently uploading the source code to this project (Unity project files), this way others can download/edit/etc the demo or use it for their own projects. 

Like I previously stated, I do not really know any programming nor have experience with video game development.. I hope that someone more talented than myself may be interested in exploring the idea of Dreamfall/TLJ in Unity (and by all means, feel free to use what I have so far).

Edit 2/1/2015: Updated to 0.02! This new update includes 4 additional scenes (The Fringe, The Journeyman Inn, Swamp City, and Alien the Cat (Olivia's shop)). 

You can download version 0.02 here (125MB): http://www.mediafire...amUnity0_02.zip

Spoiler

Note: To run this game, you must have Dreamfall (not DF:C) already installed!!!

In future updates to this project, beyond graphics upgrades I will try to import Marcuria and perhaps Newport or Casablanca.

Below are some screenshots from the game:

guardiansrealm.jpg cave2.jpg oliviashop.jpg fringe1080_1.jpg

fringe1080_2.jpg journeymaninn.jpg swampcity0.jpg swampcity2.jpg

cave1.jpg cave3.jpg cave4.jpg  Attached File  dreamunitymenu.jpg   68.13KB   10 downloads

Attached File  splash.jpg   65.28KB   10 downloads

Current scenes included (as of v0.02.. You can toggle through these scenes via the main menu or by pressing the corresponding numbers on your keyboard):

1. Guardian's Realm

2. Underground Cave

3. Alien the Cat (Olivia's Shop)

4. The Fringe

5. The Journeyman Inn

6. Swamp City

Attached Files

• Morten, Martin, wandrew and 16 others like this

#2 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2419 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:50

This looks amazing!
  • Cory likes this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#3 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:04

That's pretty friggin cool, Cory.

Keep it up! Looks pretty decent after just 1.5 weeks of Unity :)

• Cory likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#4 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:28

Hi everyone, as an experiment I have been trying to recreate scenes from Dreamfall with Unity for the last week and a half or so. 

For those of you unfamiliar with Unity, it is a game engine that has a free version and a commercial version. The bulk of this project was created with the free version, however I compiled it using a trial version of the commercial version to use cool features such as lighting effects and nice looking water.

Awesome work! Keep it up!

• Edreamer Jamil, jlddodger, blaster and 2 others like this

#5 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 28 January 2015 - 13:50

Great. Keep up the good work. 

• Cory likes this

blasted be the balance

#6 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 22:24

Wow thanks guys, I'm so glad that you liked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's another little demo, Olivia's shop!:

hsGX5WH.jpg

Download (17MB): http://www.mediafire...viaShopDemo.zip (and attached to this post)

Like the other demos, this is still unpolished. In the future I hope to improve the graphics and performance! 

I will probably include this and some other scenes in the next release.

Attached Files

• Morten, wandrew, Jana and 4 others like this

#7 Pylons of Light

Pylons of Light

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:52

It never does anything for me after I enter the Dreamfall directory and hit Enter. Maybe the program assumes the game is on the C: drive?

#8 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:29

It never does anything for me after I enter the Dreamfall directory and hit Enter. Maybe the program assumes the game is on the C: drive?

Hmm.. It should work with any drive. Make sure that you are pointing to the directory that contains Dreamfall.exe.

For example, if my PC has E:\Program Files\Dreamfall the Longest Journey\Dreamfall.exe, I would type "E:\Program Files\Dreamfall the Longest Journey\" as my directory in the program.

Make sure that you have the "\" at the end of your input! Also if you have a lengthy installation directory (such as a Steam install) you could browse to it in Windows Explorer and then copy&paste the directory from the address bar. Hope that helps! Also, was this on the Dream.Unity program or the demo for Olivia's shop? Thank you!! If there's a problem with the program I will try to fix it as soon as possible.

#9 Pylons of Light

Pylons of Light

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:34

The ending slash did it I guess.

• Cory likes this

#10 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 697 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:15

I was watching and all like "jump! jump into the abyss!" I was so glad when you did.
  • toremygg, NeilClaimer, Bruno and 3 others like this

#11 Martin

Martin

RTG Designer

• RTG Staff
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:24

Woah! This is great! :D

• Edreamer Jamil, NeilClaimer and Cory like this
:cannon:  Cannon stroker   :cannon:
        :crow:  OrNOThologist   :crow:

#12 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 697 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:00

I just downloaded it, and it's very cool! Excuse my ignorance, but it just translates DF's assets to unity, and it's able to do so fairly easily? It looks like you've assigned a few neat effects to things, though.

I'm completely unversed in this sort of thing. Could you briefly work through your process?

#13 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:11

I just downloaded it, and it's very cool! Excuse my ignorance, but it just translates DF's assets to unity, and it's able to do so fairly easily? It looks like you've assigned a few neat effects to things, though.

I'm completely unversed in this sort of thing. Could you briefly work through your process?

Unfortunately that's not the case :( ... If I learn how to actually code, maybe I can get to that point some day lol... Generally I am exporting resources from Dreamfall, converting them, modifying meshes (subdividing), modifying textures, modifying bump maps, and then recreating the scenes with new lighting in Unity. Here's a quick run through of the process:

1. Export DF scene with DreamView as a DirectX (.x) file

- Note: This will also export .PNG textures to the same folder

2. Import .PNG textures into a new Untiy project

3. Convert the .X file to a Collada .DAE file with this online tool

- After this step you may also wish to edit the mesh with 3DS Max or other software

4. Import the .DAE to your Unity project. It should now load with the .PNG textures mapped.

5. Recreate the scene in Unity!

- For this step you may need to correct textures, create lights, etc..

I hope that someone else can try this as well..

Imagine what fans could make..

SFW6UmT.jpg

• wandrew, NeilClaimer, Bruno and 1 other like this

#14 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:29

Dream.Unity version 0.02 Update!

Link to download: http://www.mediafire...amUnity0_02.zip

(If anyone has any problems with this hosting site, please let me know so that I can reupload it elsewhere.)

This update has 6 total scenes from Dreamfall, although they are still unfinished.

These scenes are selectable from the Dream.Unity menu, but they may also be toggled by pressing the numbers of your keyboard (1-6).

Here are the scenes included:

1. Guardian's Realm

2. Underground Cave

3. Alien the Cat (Olivia's shop)

4. The Fringe

5. The Journeyman Inn

6. Swamp City (part of it)

In addition to finishing these scenes and working on other scenes, I'll also try to get a better "MouseLook" script.. The default script that comes with Unity is somewhat shaky/choppy.

Attached Files

• wandrew and NeilClaimer like this

#15 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 01 February 2015 - 20:52

I just want to thank Cory for this fantastic work, and it just works fine for me too. :) I have already been exploring the Underground Cave and the Guardian's Realm for quite some time. I'm impressed how big the maps really are and to explorer the landscapes in full capability. ...And finally I have found the Prophet! The moment we all have been looking for, and I'm trying to make the jump over to him, to confront him.  :angry:

Perhaps a simple save function could be implemented. Really useful when you have walked to the mountains in Guardian's Realm and you don't want to miss the journey home.

The reflections in floors or ground could be better or more complete. For example those seen in Journeymann Inn or in The Fringe. Then I'm really glad Unity engine is a possible opportunity to get into 3D-programming, and to see how the problems are, and to find out how they might be solved.

Thanks for all, this is great.  :)

#16 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 21:19

I just want to thank Cory for this fantastic work, and it just works fine for me too. :) I have already been exploring the Underground Cave and the Guardian's Realm for quite some time. I'm impressed how big the maps really are and to explorer the landscapes in full capability. ...And finally I have found the Prophet! The moment we all have been looking for, and I'm trying to make the jump over to him, to confront him.  :angry:

Perhaps a simple save function could be implemented. Really useful when you have walked to the mountains in Guardian's Realm and you don't want to miss the journey home.

The reflections in floors or ground could be better or more complete. For example those seen in Journeymann Inn or in The Fringe. Then I'm really glad Unity engine is a possible opportunity to get into 3D-programming, and to see how the problems are, and to find out how they might be solved.

Thanks for all, this is great.  :)

Lol, I'm really glad that you (and others on this forum!) are enjoying it!!!! It is possible to jump to the hooded figure, but sadly he does not interact with the player yet lol. I will definitely look into implementing a save feature, until a couple of weeks ago I was completely new to Unity, scripting, and many other aspects of this project.. I also have a rigged Grubber model with animations (basic things like running, moving, jumping) that I need to implement as well..

I will definitely work on improving materials as much as I can! I just learned how to make bumps/reflections several days ago, and I may have gotten a bit carried away! I will still work to perfect these scenes (in hindsight I think that I need to revamp the underground cave a lot). 

If anyone's interested, here's also a standalone demo of the Dark Peoples' Library Interior (attached to this post, <16MB):

darklibraryinterior3.jpg darklibraryinterior2.jpg darklibraryinterior1.jpg

Attached Files

• wandrew, NeilClaimer and Veen Friend like this

#17 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2015 - 19:05

Soon...

hmSwNWh.jpg

Attached Files

• wandrew, WorldsReunited, khh and 2 others like this

#18 jannar85

jannar85

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMosjøen, Norway

Posted 19 January 2016 - 00:54

Impressive, downloading it now! Commenting later! Is there any more news about this?

** edit **

Stunning! Is it just me, or does these scenes look more amazing than in-game Dreamfall? I'd love to play Dreamfall in this way ;)

• Veen Friend likes this

#19 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:52

Impressive, downloading it now! Commenting later! Is there any more news about this?

** edit **

Stunning! Is it just me, or does these scenes look more amazing than in-game Dreamfall? I'd love to play Dreamfall in this way ;)

I'm glad that you like it!!! I was hoping that this post might inspire some people to play around with Untiy or some other tools.. It's not toooo hard, but I wish that I had made more progress since I started this thread.

The scenes were sort of recreated in Unity (especially with things such as lighting, particles, etc), so that might explain why they look a bit different. This was all made in Unity 4 as well (Unity 5 is currently out), and if these were revamped with the new engine they'd probably look a bit better...

I might be able to revisit these scenes and upscale the graphics a bit in Unity 5. I made some textures during the summer that I can easily apply to geometries to get some cool effects. Here is a scene in Unity that I made this way with somewhat minimal effort: 

GYfcgjz.png

Full resolution (1080p)

... It would be a dream of mine for some of the community to collaborate to create some digital worlds/stories/etc... Perhaps some community-driven tales in Arcadia would be fun.

If anyone is curious in such an attempt, I'd highly recommend playing with Unity or Unreal engine (both free!!!!)!!!

• khh likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dreamfall, unity, unityengine, grubber, underground cave, guardian, guardians realm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users