Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:42

That sounds comprehensive.
My last bet would be a simple reinstall of DF:C.

#22 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:46

Uh... This is an odd one.

Did you check the CPU temperature? If the fan on the CPU heatsink isn't working properly, the CPU can overheat and it will automatically reduce the frequency. This would explain why DFC would peg the CPU at 100%.

Or, since I'm guessing the PC is a few years old, the fans might be working properly but they can be full of dust and no longer do their job.

Give the fans (all of them) a good blow with compressed air and see if that helps -- just do it so that the air pushes stuff out. Or if don't have a problem doing it, see if you can give the CPU cooler (both the fan and the heatsink) a good clean.

I mean, if you've pretty much ruled out a software issue, maybe it's an hardware issue...

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#23 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:09

If you look at what else is working, he ruled out the hardware issue, not the software issue. It really sounds like a broken DF:C install since everything else seems to work great.
  • khh likes this

#24 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:07

Maybe, but it really doesn't hurt go take a peek and give the fans a good dusting -- always blowing towards the outside.

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#25 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 February 2015 - 17:38

Might also check what apps are running in the background.  Notably, some A/V software might take offense at DFC and get into a wrestling match with it.  Recent example I had with another game was Microsoft Security Essestials getting into a fight with the Hackshield program that comes integrated with ArcheAge.  MSE resorted to non-stop writing to the hard drive when that game was launched, until I told it to exclude the Archeage game folder(s).

You might try killing all system tray apps and temp disabling your A/V, then run DFC.

#26 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:31

Could it maybe be that nvidia's "achilles memory" is at cause here, and that cards that don't have this problem also have a performance boost ?

#27 thearkive

thearkive

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:29

Could it maybe be that nvidia's "achilles memory" is at cause here, and that cards that don't have this problem also have a performance boost ?

Nah. That issue is only with the GTX 970. And only when a program tries using the last .5GB of it's 4GB of memory does it begin giving issues. 

#28 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 18:59

Nah. That issue is only with the GTX 970. And only when a program tries using the last .5GB of it's 4GB of memory does it begin giving issues. 

I have a GTX 970.  What is the "achilies memory" that you're talking about.  Google came up with nothing.

#29 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 01 March 2015 - 19:14

I have a GTX 970.  What is the "achilies memory" that you're talking about.  Google came up with nothing.

Its actually an issue Nvida are involved in a Lawsuit over, down to false advertising, and an issue with memory on 970 gtx cards.
The issue is they are advertised as being 4GB cards, but they have a sort of 3.5gb vram limit with some other slower ram to make it up to 4gb.. in a nut shell. Its abit more complex than that, but i'd say that sums up the issue more or less.

There have been problems getting the cards to use more than 3.5gb vram. Its only applies to the 970 and isnt an issue for the OP. It also wouldn't effect dreamfall chapters, as the game doesn't require that much over 2gb vram.

http://www.techpower...mory-issue.html
  • thearkive and CosmicD like this

#30 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 01 March 2015 - 22:26

omg google should pay me for inventing "achiles videoram" as it is very original, i'm gonna patent it :P

Anyways, good that that's not the case (or an issue)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users