• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 letssellthekids

letssellthekids

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 20:20

I'm at the point where you need to attach the pillow in Friar's Keep to the broom, but, I can't click on it. The gear icon shows up, and I've moved Kian every which way, but I can't click on it no matter how hard I try. 

I've looked through the forums already, and have gone through a few suggestions. I've restarted the game, loaded from earlier saves, played with different settings, and nothing seems to be working.

I don't want to have to re-install the entire thing, but I'm not sure where else to go from this point.

Any suggestions?

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 20:25

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Just for the sake of clarity and helping us diagnose the problem, can you give us some more information? What OS are you on? Do you have the game on Steam, GOG, or Humble? And what patch are you currently running? Are you using a standard mouse, trackpad, or gamepad?

I hope we can come up with some suggestions for you!

• khh likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 15 January 2015 - 20:57

This post indicates that corrupt files may be the source of this. If you back up your saves and reinstall, you may see the glitch disappear. With a big may.

• Morten, agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:57

I'm thinking the same as  toremygg ; there might be some files that are damaged, corrupt or not being downloaded correctly.

If you're running the game through Steam, before you re-install you can try Verifying the Game Cache. It can be found by right-clicking Dreamfall Chapters in your Steam library.

Click "Properties" and go to the "Local Files" tab. Click the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" button and let the check run its course. It will indicate if there are files that are incorrect, and if so, allow you to fix them through Steam.

Hope this helps with your problem. :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 letssellthekids

letssellthekids

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:30

I decided to cave and uninstall/re-install entirely. Backed up my saves and verified the cache integrity, as per everyone's suggestions. But, it still looks like Kian isn't in the business of grabbing pillows.

As for my info, I'm using Windows 8.1, and I've downloaded the game through Steam. I'm using a trackpad (I have tried an external mouse, though, it doesn't seem to help). I just bought the game a few days ago, so I'm assuming patch 1.1.3? I'm not sure.

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:45

I decided to cave and uninstall/re-install entirely. Backed up my saves and verified the cache integrity, as per everyone's suggestions. But, it still looks like Kian isn't in the business of grabbing pillows.

As for my info, I'm using Windows 8.1, and I've downloaded the game through Steam. I'm using a trackpad (I have tried an external mouse, though, it doesn't seem to help). I just bought the game a few days ago, so I'm assuming patch 1.1.3? I'm not sure.

You're definitively on the latest patch then, yes.

I believe the pillow is the first item you're picking up in the game. When you're attempting to picking it up are you clicking once to bring up the action wheel and clinking a second time to select the gear icon? Cause I believe holding the mouse button down and releasing over the gear icon does not work. Can you pick up the other item on that level?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#7 letssellthekids

letssellthekids

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:59

You're definitively on the latest patch then, yes.

I believe the pillow is the first item you're picking up in the game. When you're attempting to picking it up are you clicking once to bring up the action wheel and clinking a second time to select the gear icon? Cause I believe holding the mouse button down and releasing over the gear icon does not work. Can you pick up the other item on that level?

Yep! I grabbed the broom right before I went into the room with the pillow in it.

#8 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 17 January 2015 - 14:29

Have you tried picking the lock with the makeshift knife first? Not sure you have to...

#9 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 January 2015 - 14:51

Yep! I grabbed the broom right before I went into the room with the pillow in it.

Then I'm very confused as to why it wouldn't work.

April Ryan is my friend,

#10 letssellthekids

letssellthekids

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 17:41

Have you tried picking the lock with the makeshift knife first? Not sure you have to...

I have. I tried it out of sheer desperation, honestly. Thought maybe it would trigger something in the game. 

#11 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 17 January 2015 - 18:11

Ok. Then I'm afraid I'm out of options for the time being. :(

#12 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:12

@ letssellthekids : Would you mind sending me your log file? I might be able to investigate the problem further by looking at what actions are running at that specific time.

You can find the log where you've installed the game (normally in your Steam install folder -> common -> Dreamfall Chapters). In a folder named "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" you'll find a file named "debug_log.txt".

Please make sure that you encountered the bug in question the last time you played, as the log file is overwritten every time the game is restarted.

You can send the debug_log.txt file to me via email (morten@redthreadgames.com). :)

• khh and Em_TC like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#13 letssellthekids

letssellthekids

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 22:12

@ letssellthekids : Would you mind sending me your log file? I might be able to investigate the problem further by looking at what actions are running at that specific time.

You can find the log where you've installed the game (normally in your Steam install folder -> common -> Dreamfall Chapters). In a folder named "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" you'll find a file named "debug_log.txt".

Please make sure that you encountered the bug in question the last time you played, as the log file is overwritten every time the game is restarted.

You can send the debug_log.txt file to me via email (morten@redthreadgames.com). :)

I'd love to! There's only one problem.

According to my computer, this file doesn't actually exist. I physically went into the folder to find the file, and couldn't. I ran a search on my system for the file, and nothing came out of it.

Am I missing something?  :wacko: 

#14 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 January 2015 - 22:26

He probably meant the output_log.txt file.

April Ryan is my friend,

#15 letssellthekids

letssellthekids

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 23:02

Now that one, I have. Thanks!

• khh likes this

#16 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:39

Yeah I meant the output_log.txt file.. Sorry :P

Just to be sure we've been through these options:

Have you tried running Friar's Keep over again up to that save, and to the pillow/broom? (That is, from the previous save, which should be right after the FK's intro cinematic)

I noticed in the log you'd tried loading the savegame just before the pillow room (after Arn Stont decision point). Not that I really think it matters, but it's worth testing. 

If this approach yields no results, I'd try jumping backwards step-by-step to see if it might be related to a savegame in your specific playthrough, or maybe try starting a new playthrough. That's pretty much a long shot, but might be worth a try if you're willing.

I also wanted to make sure you've run the Cache Integrity verification without re-installing. From what you wrote, it looks like you re-installed first, then did the verification. The verification runs through your currently installed files to check them for errors, so a re-install first and then a verification might not yield any results at all, as the files are just recently installed. I should have been a bit more specific about this before, but I'd try to run the verification tool again, just to make sure. However, it might not make a difference at all..

Other than that I cannot see any obvious errors within the log or anything that strikes me as odd behavior. The only thing is that I don't see anything about trying to pick up the pillow, but that's the problem here of course..

The fact that you can pick up other items than the pillow initially led me to believe there was something wrong with the files referring to the pillow of some sort, as it is an issue specifically for this item. But if the Cache Integrity verification tool doesn't report any errors, I'm currently at a loss to what more to do at this point other than trying to click it from every different angle (you can get up on the bed too). But I'm sure this is something you've tried in a lot of different ways.

I'm sorry I cannot give you anything more definite at this point, but please report back to me if anything should yield any results. :)

• letssellthekids likes this

#17 letssellthekids

letssellthekids

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 18:02

Yeah I meant the output_log.txt file.. Sorry :P

Just to be sure we've been through these options:

Have you tried running Friar's Keep over again up to that save, and to the pillow/broom? (That is, from the previous save, which should be right after the FK's intro cinematic)

I noticed in the log you'd tried loading the savegame just before the pillow room (after Arn Stont decision point). Not that I really think it matters, but it's worth testing. 

If this approach yields no results, I'd try jumping backwards step-by-step to see if it might be related to a savegame in your specific playthrough, or maybe try starting a new playthrough. That's pretty much a long shot, but might be worth a try if you're willing.

I also wanted to make sure you've run the Cache Integrity verification without re-installing. From what you wrote, it looks like you re-installed first, then did the verification. The verification runs through your currently installed files to check them for errors, so a re-install first and then a verification might not yield any results at all, as the files are just recently installed. I should have been a bit more specific about this before, but I'd try to run the verification tool again, just to make sure. However, it might not make a difference at all..

Other than that I cannot see any obvious errors within the log or anything that strikes me as odd behavior. The only thing is that I don't see anything about trying to pick up the pillow, but that's the problem here of course..

The fact that you can pick up other items than the pillow initially led me to believe there was something wrong with the files referring to the pillow of some sort, as it is an issue specifically for this item. But if the Cache Integrity verification tool doesn't report any errors, I'm currently at a loss to what more to do at this point other than trying to click it from every different angle (you can get up on the bed too). But I'm sure this is something you've tried in a lot of different ways.

I'm sorry I cannot give you anything more definite at this point, but please report back to me if anything should yield any results. :)

That's alright! I appreciate you taking the time out to even do that.

The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried yet is starting a new game completely. I'm gonna give that a whirl and see what happens. :)

• khh likes this

#18 letssellthekids

letssellthekids

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:11

Well, no such luck.

Started a new game entirely, and Kian still won't grab the pillow. I've stood at every possible angle known to man, and nothing.

Is there anything I maybe haven't thought of to try out yet?  :wacko:

Not that it means much, but there are two things I keep noticing when I try to grab the pillow - for one thing, the gear icon does, in fact, show up. I just can't click it. And for some reason, if I hit escape to get to the options menu, my cursor keeps bouncing around the screen, making it fairly difficult to click on anything for a little bit.

#19 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:56

Hmm yeah. That may be the culprit right there. Maybe there's something with your mouse acting up exactly at that point in the game.

Seems weird and I don't know what causes it, but I bet if that "bounce"-thing is fixed, you'll be able to click the pillow.

I was just thinking, have you tried playing in Windowed mode? (From the output_log.txt file you sent me, I assume you are playing in Fullscreen mode).

Also, do you use multiple monitors? If so, make sure that when in Fullscreen mode your mouse does not suddenly appear on the second monitor / goes out of bounds of the game monitor (that the game is not running on) while playing and dragging the mouse towards that second monitor. I've seen this happen some times in other Unity games as well. Especially after alt-tabbing out and then into the game again. If the mouse shown on the other screen, make sure the game has focus, hit Escape to open the menu and drag your cursor to the center of the game's screen and click once. When hitting Escape to resume the game once again, the cursor should not be visible on the second monitor when dragging the mouse towards it.

You can try to do this even if you have only one monitor. However, it is a long shot. Just trying to actually get to the bottom of the problem by testing different things. :)

By now, I also assume that you do not have a controller that you can connect to your computer. I guess that would work, but it's not really a fix. Just thought I'd mention it.

That's what I've got for you at the moment (hope it was somewhat understandable). I'll post another reply if I come up with anything else for you to test.

Please report back with any results if you got the time. :)

#20 dalikamikaze

dalikamikaze

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 14:21

I am having a similar problem. I have picked up all of the pieces in this level. Have tried to use the shiv, it doesn't work. Have assembled the broom and pillow, but Kian will not take it. I have tried multiple angles, clicking different places, etc. He will take the shiv, and try it, but he will not take the broom and pillow combo. I have tried to restart the level multiple times, altered the order in which I've picked things up, but it will not work. I am using Mac OSX, trackpad and keys. I dled the humble version I believe, via the bittorrent link. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users