1 reply to this topic

#1 vToMy

vToMy

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 19:49

Just finished Chapter 1. Amazing. Too short. Can't wait for Chapter 2.

To business-

I noticed the camera being a bit cranky. Specifically the camera collision, mostly with Zoe herself (Zoe disappearing when camera gets too close).

As a fellow Unity developer, and as someone who spent too much time optimizing camera mechanics, I think solving this problem would allow players to emerge better in the game.

I have a couple of suggestions regarding the camera. Take what you will:

1. If you ever played Uncharted/The Last of Us you probably noticed how awesome the camera is. Basically the problem with Chapter's Camera is that when the angle around the X-axis is too low (you look up), you collide with Zoe's lower part and she disappears due to her being before the near clipping plane. What Uncharted did is to zoom in on the character when you do that. This achieves 2 things:
    1. You don't collide with the legs.
    2. The camera is in a more natural position, as the player would expect.
  2. In Dreamfall the dialog camera was pretty awesome, You could see the characters speaking from cool angles, like in a show.

I noticed that in Chapters the camera centers around the character. My suggestion is to maybe center the camera target between the 2 speakers, or any other alternative way you can think of to make the conversation more fluid. I found myself sometimes struggling with the angles, wanting to look at Zoe and the other character speaking in turns. Truth be told, Zoe speaks a lot less than others, but I still really liked Dreamfall mechanics in that regard.

I know you're probably in a stage where you're mostly working on gameplay and less about core mechanics, but please consider this as the most major drawback I found in Chapters (and that is a good thing!).

In any case, I'm willing to help in any way should you deem this worthy (tech-advise, beta-test, etc).

• khh likes this

#2 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:12

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

We are, as you said, in an implementing phase, where most core mechanics are basically "set in stone". However, we'll be sure to consider your suggestions as you bring up some good points.

Thanks again, it's really appreciated. Keep it coming! :D

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camera, collision, bug, suggestion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users