Photo
- - - - -

Best game controller for OS X Yosemite

osx game controller

Best Answer agirlnamedbob , 01 January 2015 - 18:49

Yes. There are recommendations from RTG.

I'm on mobile so I can't do a full link post quote thing but in the FAQ (found here:http://redthreadgame...before-posting/) they recommend a 360 controller with the Tattie Bogle driver/mapper tool. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lars

lars

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 01 January 2015 - 18:26

I would like to acquire a game controller for DF on my Mac OS X Yosemite.

There are several posts on this topic, mostly concerning Windows.

Some posts say that it has to be an Xbox controller, others say PS3-4, others yet that it does not matter.

Also it seems that most comments goes like "It can work, with 3rd party drivers, and sometimes additional software".

I suspect that it might be a touchy issue, the DF packet contains a specific plugin for the mouse.

I have past negative experiences with game controllers and would like to avoid to end up with a "decoration controller".

Is there a official Red Thread recommended controller for Mac?

Or a clear guide to a working configuration?

Your comments will be most helpful.

Thanks

Used with Steam version                      Used with HumbleBundle version

El Capitain 10.11 beta 4                                       El Capitan 10.11.2

Macbook 12 pouces                                             MacMini 2012

1,2 GHz Intel Core M                                            2,5 GHz Intel Core I5

8Go 1600 MHz DDR                                            16 GO 1600 MHZ DDR3

Resolution 2304 x 1440 SSD                               Resolution 1680 x 1050 SSD 500 Go

Intel Graphics 5300 1536 Mo                               Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 January 2015 - 18:49   Best Answer

Yes. There are recommendations from RTG.

I'm on mobile so I can't do a full link post quote thing but in the FAQ (found here:http://redthreadgame...before-posting/) they recommend a 360 controller with the Tattie Bogle driver/mapper tool.

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 lars

lars

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 01 January 2015 - 18:59

Cool Thanks for the quick response

PS

Not texting while driving I hope  :P

El Capitain 10.11 beta 4                                       El Capitan 10.11.2

1,2 GHz Intel Core M                                            2,5 GHz Intel Core I5

Resolution 2304 x 1440 SSD                               Resolution 1680 x 1050 SSD 500 Go

Intel Graphics 5300 1536 Mo                               Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo

#4 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 January 2015 - 20:04

Nope! Boyfriend is driving. :P Was on the way to New Year's brunch with some friends. ;)

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#5 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1328 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:23

I'm a Mac user (Mavericks) who can confirm that Xbox 360 controller + Tattiebogle driver works just fine.
  • Morten and agirlnamedbob like this

#6 lars

lars

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:55

Thanks Ringtail

#7 lylecham

lylecham

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 21:31

I am using an XBox 360 controller Tattiebogle driver with OS X Yosemite.  The controller works fine on other games and with the settings in the Control Panel.  However, the game does not seem to see the controller no matter what I do.  I see from other posts that the game should just recognize either the keyboard or the controller, depending on which was touched last.  I don't see any other setting I could change.  I have tried re-installing the driver multiple times.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

#8 te36

te36

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 24 June 2015 - 22:17

I kind grew up on PS1 back in the day, so i continue to like the PS controllers. Been playing DF on MBP with Sixaxxis, no additional driver needed. Tad unhandy for the luggage, but AFAIK still the smallest of the "professional" controllers. Now using it via BT on Win 7 via DS3 tool to play DFC. Haven't tried back on MBP, but pretty sure it would work equally well as it did for DF.

• khh likes this

#9 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 June 2015 - 22:53

I am using an XBox 360 controller Tattiebogle driver with OS X Yosemite.  The controller works fine on other games and with the settings in the Control Panel.  However, the game does not seem to see the controller no matter what I do.  I see from other posts that the game should just recognize either the keyboard or the controller, depending on which was touched last.  I don't see any other setting I could change.  I have tried re-installing the driver multiple times.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

I'm sorry we haven't been able to offer any help here. Most of the users, and all of the mods, use Windows. So I really don't know what else I can suggest you try. Sorry.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#10 te36

te36

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:53

I kind grew up on PS1 back in the day, so i continue to like the PS controllers. Been playing DF on MBP with Sixaxxis, no additional driver needed. Tad unhandy for the luggage, but AFAIK still the smallest of the "professional" controllers. Now using it via BT on Win 7 via DS3 tool to play DFC. Haven't tried back on MBP, but pretty sure it would work equally well as it did for DF.

Need to backpeddle from my prediction. Remembered that i had Dreamfall working via Wine on MBP. SO just checked again native DFC on MBP running 10.8, and the native button-mappings of the sixaxis controller are not working (analogs are fine). Aka: would need to sit down with something like controller mate to re-map buttons so DFC recognized the buttons correctly. Would be nice if DFC had some way to do the remapping itself. But no time to play around with this right now.

#11 amcarter

amcarter

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 16:37

I'm a Mac user (Mavericks) who can confirm that Xbox 360 controller + Tattiebogle driver works just fine.

I have the Microsoft xbox 360 controller with the tattiebogle driver (v0.12) and I am unable to get my controller to work in DFC.  Works fine in other games on the mac but not DFC.  I have tried remapping with Joystick Mapper and still no luck.  Any suggestions on to get this to work on DFC?

#12 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1328 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:10

I have the Microsoft xbox 360 controller with the tattiebogle driver (v0.12) and I am unable to get my controller to work in DFC.  Works fine in other games on the mac but not DFC.  I have tried remapping with Joystick Mapper and still no luck.  Any suggestions on to get this to work on DFC?

I don't know if there's an issue with Yosemite vs. Mavericks - I've never updated the OS on my machine, and didn't do anything special with the installation of tattiebogle. Sorry I can't  be more help - I really have no technical skills!

#13 amcarter

amcarter

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:19

I don't know if there's an issue with Yosemite vs. Mavericks - I've never updated the OS on my machine, and didn't do anything special with the installation of tattiebogle. Sorry I can't  be more help - I really have no technical skills!

tx

#14 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 July 2015 - 18:59

Since tattiebogle is the official recommendation, I'd try creating a thread in the General Support forum - the devs frequent there, and they may be able to give some help

• agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: osx, game controller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users