Photo
- - - - -

Very choppy right from start

performance fps choppy

Best Answer khh , 20 December 2014 - 11:08

The problem looks to be your graphics card, I'm afraid. The card integrated in the processor you have is Intel HD Graphics (from Q3'2010), while the minimum requirement is Intel HD Graphics 4000 (from Q2'2012).

Do you have access to any other computer you could play it on?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 prog_frog

prog_frog

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 00:08

Hi, everyone -

I'm starting here in case I can avoid bothering Red Thread support.

I'm late to playing the game because of work, but now that I have downloaded it (just a couple of days ago, 17 Dec 14 I think), I notice that the game is very very choppy. I set visual quality to low and resolution to minimum (1280x720), and restarted and right from the opening sequence, it continues to be very choppy.

I know my laptop is getting old and is close to the minimum system requirements, but it does meet and in some places exceed them. But right now "minimum" doesn't seem to be good enough to actually play the game with even a barely reasonable frame rate (I don't know how to measure FPS but it seems well under 10). Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz

Memory: 4.00 GB (3.80 GB usable) - though I'm also seeing 1696 MB listed for "total available graphics memory" 

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics

DirectX: Version 11 - though interestingly it's listing as DirectX 10 under "Performance Information and Tools"

Hard Drive: 45/75 GB free on C: and D: respectively (the game is installed on C:)

Sound Card: Yes

Oh, and my power settings are set to "high performance" so that's not the issue.

Any thoughts? Looking forward to playing it as soon as I can get this resolved.

Thanks in advance,

~Doug

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:08   Best Answer

The problem looks to be your graphics card, I'm afraid. The card integrated in the processor you have is Intel HD Graphics (from Q3'2010), while the minimum requirement is Intel HD Graphics 4000 (from Q2'2012).

Do you have access to any other computer you could play it on?

• prog_frog likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 prog_frog

prog_frog

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 14:14

Thanks for the reply, khh. This makes sense given that the laptop is about four years old. I guess the good news for me is that I'm on the verge of replacing it with something newer anyway. So this leads me to two follow-up questions:

1) Do you know if there will be a problem with me downloading it again from Humble once I have bought and set up my new computer? Is there anything I need to do to ensure I can still download it (e.g., uninstall from my current one, which I guess I will do anyway)?

2) I'm considering getting a Mac notebook instead of another PC. If I do, would this cause a problem with getting the right version of Dreamfall given that I indicated prior (in Humble I think) that I would be playing it on a PC since that was my assumption at the time?

Thanks very much,

~Doug 

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 December 2014 - 14:26

Thanks for the reply, khh. This makes sense given that the laptop is about four years old. I guess the good news for me is that I'm on the verge of replacing it with something newer anyway. So this leads me to two follow-up questions:

1) Do you know if there will be a problem with me downloading it again from Humble once I have bought and set up my new computer? Is there anything I need to do to ensure I can still download it (e.g., uninstall from my current one, which I guess I will do anyway)?

2) I'm considering getting a Mac notebook instead of another PC. If I do, would this cause a problem with getting the right version of Dreamfall given that I indicated prior (in Humble I think) that I would be playing it on a PC since that was my assumption at the time?

Thanks very much,

~Doug 

1) There is absolutely no problem downloading from Humble again. There's no limit or restriction on downloads.

2) You can download all versions of the game from Humble, it's no problem if you want to play on Mac or Linux later. The survey for was mostly for statistical purposes, I believe.

• Tina and prog_frog like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#5 prog_frog

prog_frog

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 15:26

Great news on both counts. Thank you. Guess I need to do some shopping. :)

• khh likes this

#6 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 20 December 2014 - 20:32

Thanks very much,

~Doug 

The only problem I can think of is that the Unity 3D engine that DFC uses is very likely even less optimized in the OS X version that on the Windows version. The reason is simple, Windows accounts for over 95%  and OS X accounts for less than 4% of all PC gamers, so guess who gets the good stuff first, or at all?

(Data from Steam Hardware Survey, November 2014)

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#7 prog_frog

prog_frog

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 22:22

Thanks, that's worth keeping in mind as I shop around!

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 December 2014 - 22:54

The only problem I can think of is that the Unity 3D engine that DFC uses is very likely even less optimized in the OS X version that on the Windows version. The reason is simple, Windows accounts for over 95% and OS X accounts for less than 4% of all PC gamers, so guess who gets the good stuff first, or at all?

(Data from Steam Hardware Survey, November 2014)

I haven't tried myself, but the impression I've gotten on the forums is that it works fine on macs. I would not consider that when buying a new computer (though if you want to do gaming in general, Windows is better).

April Ryan is my friend,

#9 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:47

Anyone tried using an external video card on a laptop? Like this dodgy thing:

#10 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:44

Well, the PCI-e Mini only support PCI-e x1 transfer speed, so that may be a little problematic. Plus the adapter + card will set you back at least 2000 NOK, won't it? I'm not sure if it's cost effective as compared to getting a laptop with a decent GPU to begin with. Unless it's a specific form factor you want.

April Ryan is my friend,

#11 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:20

I didn't mean that exact one, as it looked more like a prototype.

The Vidock Nano looks OK, but it costs $199 to $279 for the various versions.

#12 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:21

So long as it solves the potential problem with transfer speed, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. The delay from a longer cable should be negligible, since an electric signal travels at about 0.6c in a copper cable.

April Ryan is my friend,

#13 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1325 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:58

I haven't tried myself, but the impression I've gotten on the forums is that it works fine on macs. I would not consider that when buying a new computer (though if you want to do gaming in general, Windows is better).

As a Mac user who got a new 2014 MacBook to play Chapters, I can report that, as of the latest version, performance is just fine. So, no worries there.
  • khh likes this

#14 prog_frog

prog_frog

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 16:00

Thanks, everyone. We actually decided to go with an iMac (27" retina display) and the game works fine so far and looks gorgeous!

• khh and debro like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: performance, fps, choppy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users