102 replies to this topic

#101 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:22

Actually, I mean... to a point, yes? If a piece is clearly overly stylized, that's one thing, but while this piece does have a painterly aesthetic, the style is still quite realistic. Artists generally need to have a pretty firm grasp of light, reflections, etc. And if they were going to go to the trouble of putting a reflection in her eye, I'd think they'd want to get it right. 

I don't think asking an artist to be proficient in physics and the laws of nature is a valid request, however you want to put it.

#102 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:50

You're really gonna apply optics on an image/painting?

Just the usual. Optics/physics, anatomy/biology, perspective, composition etc. Everything connected to light is, of course, THE foundation for an artist.

Picasso is turning in his grave as we speak...

I don't agree. Picasso could and would use optics in his paintings. It's just that he often, very visibly, broke the rules for artistic effect.

Now that I think about it, that photo shouldn't exist since the only way it can exist optically is if someone took a picture of Zoe, which was not the case because otherwise she would smile to the camera...
:rolleyes:

Who said it is a photo? ;)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#103 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 17:58

LIke I said, however you want to say it, if you want to say "laws of physics do not allow this image/painting/whatever to contain this or that", I say very simply, that such a claim is irrelevant.

But if you REALLY want to go there, here's a simple explanation, this scene is most likely set in Arcadia, so magic is involved :P

Who said it is a photo? ;)

I think my point is clear...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, development, book two, screenshot, christmas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users