#1 Nancy Brown

Nancy Brown

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Stark

Posted 14 December 2014 - 20:46

Hey! I felt so excited when playing DF I was vising TLJ locations - in better graphics quality and with more details and same happened with HOAW in DFC!

However, when I tried to recall how the location looked like in original TLJ, it was very difficult to find quality screenshots to compare - what is the same, what has changed...

How about posting screenshots here of same locations in TLJ, DF and DFC (which I am sure will be more fruitful soon)?

Maybe someone is re-playing TLJ/DF now and can printscreen and post location comparisons? :)

#2 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:19

I noticed that in Dreamfall Chapters, the fireplace is thinner and there are two spaces for bookshelves (even though the second is just empty) instead of one to the left of the fireplace. But I'm sure the house goes through a lot of renovations between the time when Saga's a baby and when Lady Alvane is telling her stories.

The hospital room, Friar's Keep and the tower looked pretty much the same to me.

• DevilDoll likes this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#3 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:41

Here are a few screenshots.

ZPstAaX.png

PmY7rTo.jpg

kIANUul.jpg

jbHsYzC.jpg

01KlR1n.jpg

byfd4wB.png

fl9xciE.png

pwsRpEk.jpg

• Laura, maDSaint, Retodon8 and 1 other like this

#4 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:31

TLJ still amazes me, it looks very beautiful 15 years later... it's gorgeous!

Dreamfall TLJ looks stunning when running maxed out too!

And what to say about DFC... i often load the game just to walk around Propast and admire the beauty of it.

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Riaise and 4 others like this

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#5 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:29

And what to say about DFC... i often load the game just to walk around Propast and admire the beauty of it.

THIS!

Too bad that i can't use Visual Quality Awesome and 1280x800 resolution and i can't use all extra visual options.

#6 Nancy Brown

Nancy Brown

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Stark

Posted 23 August 2015 - 21:56

I think worth quoting this here:

http://redthreadgame...nshots/?p=95641

#7 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 21:27

N9TEGaA.pngv7Jonpm.png

ZdxmzKv.png

• Ringtail, Riaise, Laura and 4 others like this

#8 charmed23

charmed23

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Posted 01 January 2016 - 16:54

Dreamfall TLJ still looks gorgeous after all these years. Chapters is a brazen step down in visual quality.

#9 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 17:51

Dreamfall TLJ still looks gorgeous after all these years. Chapters is a brazen step down in visual quality.

Disagree, DFC is significantly superior in visual quality to Dreamfall.

#10 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 18:35

Hmmm, looking at those 2 screenshots of April and Zoe outside the Journeyman, it's hard to see that Chapters is a step down. I am making an assumption that the shot of Zoe is from Chapters. I'm basing that on her outfit, but I could be wrong.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#11 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 18:49

Aw, come on. Dreamfall looked positively gorgeous, for 2006 at least, but Chapters beats the predecessor in every respect. Hub size, lighting, detail, design, resolution, texture, variety, you name it, Chapters is better at it. And that's just the locations – if we compare the new character models to the old, Chapters easily wipes the floor with Dreamfall.

• khh and Dmm like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#12 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 01 January 2016 - 19:26

Dreamfall went for the cartoonish rather than realistic look. DFC took it a step towards the more realistic look through the use of more detailed textures and models.

I think both are top notch for their respective eras. Extremely difficult to make a true comparison. Tech has improved a lot since then but that doesn't really count when you're making art ;)

EDIT: AH! Happy new year to everybody! ^__^

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#13 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 19:42

As with all video stories the question is, does the suspension of disbelief work? When you are playing the game, to you accept the game world  or do the graphics continual pull you out of the game? In that regard, all three TLJ games worked for me. Look at Broken Sword 5 where the game has gone back to the 2D graphics of the original trilogy. From my perspective, isolating the playability of the game just to those machines that have the latest and most powerful GPUs, is a big mistake. I would gladly trade "look" for a move forgiving game engine.

#14 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 19:54

Tech has improved a lot since then but that doesn't really count when you're making art ;)

Absolutely, art is art; the tech used to create it is irrelevant. True, improved tech can make it much easier for an artist to create their vision, but in the end it's the vision that counts.

I think photography is an area where tech improvements have had some of the greatest impact. The advent of digital photography, particularly newer, higher resolution cameras, along with vastly improved post processing software, have made it possible for many people who have vision, but not so much artistic skills, to finally be able to express their vision.

• Hellegennes and the red of the kin like this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#15 charmed23

charmed23

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:56

Hm, maybe I should have said the art direction and diversity in DF are better than in DFC. I find the latter bland and non-distinctive. Probably due to the limited budget.

#16 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:30

Hm, maybe I should have said the art direction and diversity in DF are better than in DFC. I find the latter bland and non-distinctive. Probably due to the limited budget.

Regardless if you prefer DF graphics to DFC, the difference shouldn't be attributed to limited budget. I think RTG had plenty of budget to achieve their artistic goals. Not 100% sure, but pretty much ;)

I think a lot of it has to do with the game engine and lighting.

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: screenshot, comparison, tlj, dreamfall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users