#41 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 25 March 2015 - 22:35

That captures that 50s style quite brilliantly. ;)

The profile views may be easy on the artistic requirements, but the hands are extremely difficult to get right even in that view. If you clean up, get your guy to do some ref shots together. B)

I don't usually repost, but today... I do. :mellow:

Actually - to me the style in game is more 1940s than 50s.  When you think about 50s you get those stupid drive-ins and poodle skirts and grown women running around looking like little girls.  No thank you.  The 40s had style, they had tailoring and it's just distinct and awesome.

• Dmm and Clintonevomb like this

#42 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 00:10

Actually - to me the style in game is more 1940s than 50s.  When you think about 50s you get those stupid drive-ins and poodle skirts and grown women running around looking like little girls.  No thank you.  The 40s had style, they had tailoring and it's just distinct and awesome.

Magnus definitely mid to late fifties in hairstyle and clothing and Etta hair style 1940's, clothing mix of late forties and mid to late fifties. Why I say this, is, because I am old enough to remember the entire 1950's. I don't remember any women running around looking like little girls and the only ones I remember wearing poodle skirts were girls(there may have been some adult women wearing them but it would have been pretty uncommon). I have nothing against drive-ins, cool is the only word I can think of concerning them. Like any period of time, styles are constantly changing and getting snippets from old photos, movies and TV shows can only give you an idea of what it was like back then - not incorrect but not a full enough picture.

• agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen, khh and 1 other like this

#43 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:42

Magnus definitely mid to late fifties in hairstyle and clothing and Etta hair style 1940's, clothing mix of late forties and mid to late fifties. Why I say this, is, because I am old enough to remember the entire 1950's. I don't remember any women running around looking like little girls and the only ones I remember wearing poodle skirts were girls(there may have been some adult women wearing them but it would have been pretty uncommon). I have nothing against drive-ins, cool is the only word I can think of concerning them. Like any period of time, styles are constantly changing and getting snippets from old photos, movies and TV shows can only give you an idea of what it was like back then - not incorrect but not a full enough picture.

I think I really just don't like iconic 50s style at all.  That's the problem.  It didn't look bad on Magnus but for women I didn't care for it, or those little scalloped collars you'd see on I Love Lucy.  I just don't like the overall style of that period, with pearls and everything.  I also do understand your point about styles blending but...you get certain iconic impressions, like in the 80s with the shoulder pads (which I also didn't like)

#44 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 18:15

I think I really just don't like iconic 50s style at all.  That's the problem.  It didn't look bad on Magnus but for women I didn't care for it, or those little scalloped collars you'd see on I Love Lucy.  I just don't like the overall style of that period, with pearls and everything.  I also do understand your point about styles blending but...you get certain iconic impressions, like in the 80s with the shoulder pads (which I also didn't like)

From a iconic viewpoint I am more in agreement with you - I actually prefer the clothing style's of the latter half of the1930's and of the '40's over most of the styles since that time.

Magnus has a style that was known as greaser. The word used in this way usually carried a note of condescension. Most people whether they were young adults or teenagers still in school did not wear this style. The greaser style became iconic along with that new fangled music, rock & roll,  because of what it stood for - trouble and youthful rebellion.

• khh and loranna238 like this

#45 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:20

The Collapse Memorial

IMG.jpg

• agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen, khh and 13 others like this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#46 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:25

More Moleskine watercolor stuff?! Oh I am so down with that!

The black ink holds up well, what are you using?

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#47 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:27

This one is not Moleskine, it's a rather cheap imitation bought in a Portuguese supermarket. I do use Moleskines as well though.

The black ink is from a uniball UM120 gel pen, I love these pens.

• agirlnamedbob and Vainamoinen like this

#48 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:29

This one is not Moleskine, it's a rather cheap imitation bought in a Portuguese supermarket. I do use Moleskines as well though.

The black ink is from a uniball UM120 gel pen, I love these pens.

So do you lay down the color and then pen over it once it's dry? I've been experimenting with this one myself and none of my pens, short of a basic ballpoint, hold up once Watercolor gets involved. 

Also, I really really like that! :D

• Bruno likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#49 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:33

No, the other way around. Sometimes pencil first if I want to lay out the basic shapes (sometimes I don't feel comfortable starting with pen...), then pen, then watercolours. Though this time I added the text on the base of the Memorial after painting (I had forgotten to write it first).

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#50 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:36

I need that gel pen, then.  :blink: All of mine either completely distort the colors or run like a mess the second watercolor touches them. Huh. 

The More You Know! .:*・°☆

*Realizes probably no one else is going to get that*

*Leaves it anyway*

#51 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:44

I need that gel pen, then.  :blink: All of mine either completely distort the colors or run like a mess the second watercolor touches them. Huh. 

*Realizes probably no one else is going to get that*

*Leaves it anyway*

The only problem I have with the pen is that there used to be two models, the 0.5mm and the 0.7mm. 0.7 is too thick for me, but 0.5 is perfect. Unfortunately I am not able to find 0.5 anymore - I suspect they stopped producing it and only have 0.7 now. I still have one, but it's the last one.

I need to try out some of their other models. There is a Uniball UM100 which is 0.5, it may be more or less the same...

#52 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:44

er......... 

...nope :-|

#53 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:49

I need that gel pen, then.  :blink:

Yup, that was why I asked. Ink first, watercolor afterwards. ;)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#54 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:52

Regular Bic ballpoints tend to be good as well. But I prefer gel pens - much more comfortable :)

#55 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 19:54

Yup, that was why I asked. Ink first, watercolor afterwards. ;)

That's what I usually do, it just usually runs, which is why I was surprised. Especially my gel pens. 

#56 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:15

Hey, I got it now!!! I love Google! :D

(off to bed - good night!)

• agirlnamedbob and Starseeker like this

#57 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:37

Got enough requests for a pin, so it's been pinned. 

I'll have a thing (maybe even things...I'm working on two...) to post here, Soon™. ;) Been too damned busy to finish either of them. 

• khh, Bruno and Abnoxious like this

#58 Abnoxious

Abnoxious

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFofation, Lolation, Monation. LOCATION!

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:09

Still waiting for a graphics tablet loan so I can finish my "I'm a grown ass Zhid who's had lots of men" pic... 

Abnoxious, empowering spritely Zhid ladies since 2015

• agirlnamedbob, Mr Moo and Bruno like this

just a forum ghost

#59 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 19:17

That sounds, uhm, like a rule 34 kind of picture. :ph34r:

#60 Abnoxious

Abnoxious

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFofation, Lolation, Monation. LOCATION!

Posted 29 March 2015 - 19:31

That sounds, uhm, like a rule 34 kind of picture. :ph34r:

haha, it's more of a... slightly medieval underwear research inspired not quite risque enough to be a rule 34 kind of picture ;)

just a forum ghost

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fan art, art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users