#1 Roseweave

Roseweave

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 00:53

CPU: Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz
GPU: Radeon HD5770

An ageing Rig but Dreamfall chapters is the first game I've played that has stuttered like this. Playing on medium, I get very low FPS and it looks worse than the original Dreamfall(in terms of texture resolution, etc). 

It would help for one if the texture quality was independent from other options as that's often more VRAM dependant which isn't much of an issue these days.

I'll try installing new drivers but really it's pretty disappointing how inefficient this game is. I can't really afford to upgrade my PC anytime soon and even if I do it'll be the GPU and it seems like DFC is CPU-bound more than anything.

#2 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:01

Where did you get the game: Steam, GoG, Humble?

If not Steam, which patch level are you at?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#3 Roseweave

Roseweave

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:16

It's Steam. Tried updating graphics drivers.

From what I've read this is an optimisation issue. Does the game use Multithreading ny default? if not can I force it?

#4 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:24

Your CPU seems to barely meet the minimum system requirements, while your GPU should perform better than the minimum Intel HD 4000.

In other words: DFC should work on minimum settings (low graphics and everything off), and maybe slightly above mininum. Minimum is a good starting point, however.

It's Steam. Tried updating graphics drivers.

From what I've read this is an optimisation issue. Does the game use Multithreading ny default? if not can I force it?

It supposedly uses multithreading and multiple cores? Nothing you can do about the CPU usage, apart from not running other things at the same time.

#5 Roseweave

Roseweave

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:26

Steam. Latest patch. Tried updating graphics drivers, no difference. 

Checked CPU usage, never goes over 30% or so. Running a Triple Core CPU so perhaps the game isn't multithreading properly. Regularly hovers around the 12-20% mark, so who knows, maybe some form of throttling. Running Game booster to clear any tasks that migt be slowing the game down, set to high performance etc.

There's something seriously wrong with the game that isn't related to processing power.

#6 Roseweave

Roseweave

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:27

My CPU is quite a bit stronger than a Core2Duo actually :/

Maybe Unity games are just inherently inefficient? Idk...

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11175 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:36

The game is CPU intensive, but I believe that's partly due to the Unity engine? All that is a little above my depth, to be perfectly honest. I didn't think Unity 4 had multithreading...? Or had issues with it? Again, this is a bit above my depth.

What settings are you running the game on? Does lowering them make any difference at all?

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#8 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:37

By "high performance" do you mean you've set the Windows Power Settings to High Performance?

#9 Roseweave

Roseweave

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:40

Yes.

Settings make zero difference.

#10 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:48

Not sure what you're sayin "yes" to.

BTW, there is another patch, 1.1.3,  coming very soon. Not sure it'll have enough changes to help you though.

#11 Roseweave

Roseweave

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:56

... yes to the question you asked me directly preceding my post.

#12 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1805 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:05

My CPU is quite a bit stronger than a Core2Duo actually :/

Its not stronger than most core 2 duos. Its 3 cores might be about equal to the dual core of a 7200. Per clock and per core the intel is faster, and I think thats the issue here. The game doesn't seem to leverage much over 2 cores, which would essentially put that cpu below the minimum spec Intel's quoted for the game.

Which is unfortunate. RTG's really need to have the AMD sepcs listed along side. If they had, im guessing it would be at least a Phenom II or even an entry lvl fx cpu.

Thats my reading of the situation here anyway. Not much help I know.

#13 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:17

The game is really unplayable if you have a HD4000 GPU.

That's what the Surface Pro I'm using right now has, and it also has a Core i5-3317U CPU and 4GB of RAM, so it largely exceeds the minimum spec.

Dropping the resolution from the native 1920x1080 to 1366x768 helps a bit, but not enough.

So I don't think there's a lot Roseweave can do with that hardware, unfortunately.

Maybe hope that RTG eventually ports the game to Unity 5?

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#14 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1805 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:24

The game is really unplayable if you have a HD4000 GPU.

That's what the Surface Pro I'm using right now has, and it also has a Core i5-3317U CPU and 4GB of RAM, so it largely exceeds the minimum spec.

This is off the top of my head so, I could be wrong, but that i5 is really a low power dual core APU that allows 4 threads I think?. So im not sure its thats what RTG had in mind when they quoted an i5 in the system spec. Pair that up with the min spec gpu and I can see that being an issue.

Aside from trying the power setting suggestion thats already been brought up, All I can say is check the official FAQ performance issues thread for suggestions.
http://redthreadgame...ng/#performance

#15 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 10 December 2014 - 19:17

I can't remember for sure but I don't think DFC supports multiple cores. Europolis is CPU-bound but the rest of the environments are GPU-bound. At 1.1.2, Mira's workshop had the lowest FPS.

#16 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7066 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 December 2014 - 20:32

Dreamfall Chapters does use multiple threads, and if you force it to run on a single core you will see the performance decrease. But it does not split the work evenly across the threads. As far as I know even on a dual core processor you will have one thread running on one core which execution speed limits the framerate, while the other core will easily be able to perform the work in all the other threads (all of this assuming your CPU is weak compared to your GPU).

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#17 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 10 December 2014 - 22:52

This is off the top of my head so, I could be wrong, but that i5 is really a low power dual core APU that allows 4 threads I think?. So im not sure its thats what RTG had in mind when they quoted an i5 in the system spec. Pair that up with the min spec gpu and I can see that being an issue.

Aside from trying the power setting suggestion thats already been brought up, All I can say is check the official FAQ performance issues thread for suggestions.
http://redthreadgame...ng/#performance

Yeah, the i5-3317U is, as the U at the end indicates, a Ultra Low Voltage CPU, designed for laptops, and like all "mobile" Core CPUs only has 2 cores (even the mobile Core i7 only has 2 cores). However, it easily outperforms the Core 2 Duo that's stated in the minimum specs.

The HD4000 GPU that comes bundled with it is, on the other hand, very weak, and unable to run most recent games. DFC isn't an exception to that. Even DF:TLJ looks funny, while it does get a decent frame rate, you can see the 3D grid structure of the objects as you move around, as if the grid moves faster than the textures -- or maybe this happens because I'm running Windows 10 TP on it, and all kinds of things don't work as they should... 

• Mr Moo and ct2651 like this

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#18 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2025 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 23:42

Yeah, the i5-3317U is, as the U at the end indicates, a Ultra Low Voltage CPU, designed for laptops, and like all "mobile" Core CPUs only has 2 cores (even the mobile Core i7 only has 2 cores). However, it easily outperforms the Core 2 Duo that's stated in the minimum specs.

The HD4000 GPU that comes bundled with it is, on the other hand, very weak, and unable to run most recent games. DFC isn't an exception to that. Even DF:TLJ looks funny, while it does get a decent frame rate, you can see the 3D grid structure of the objects as you move around, as if the grid moves faster than the textures -- or maybe this happens because I'm running Windows 10 TP on it, and all kinds of things don't work as they should... 

Well, even when microsoft come with a new finish OS, it does possess many bug.

So a not already finish OS is probably even worse...

#19 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:16

While I agree that a pre-release version of an OS is not as bug-free as a release version, it's also completely unfair to single out Microsoft. Every OS, every single one, has thousands of bugs upon release.

#20 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3531 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 13 December 2014 - 22:31

People also fail to grasp the point that a bug can be anything down to the line around a selected item in a dialog being truncated. It doesn't have to affect usability in any way, but be purely cosmetic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users