• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sirow

Sirow

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:48

I've recently completed my first play-through of Dreamfall Chapters (Book One) and I have to say, I'm uncertain about some aspects of the current state of the TLJ-Universe and their characters...
(Btw loved it, especially the intro scene, although it was really sad. Tears have been droped)

The first uncertainty is about Zoë's current state of mind, specifically about what she does/does not remember and about what she remembers/has been told has happened.
I'll try to give a "recap" about what I think I understand so far. I would be happy if you could point out parts that I got wrong or that I missed. 

Here we go: 
Judging from the conversation with Dr. Roman, Zoë does remember everything before the events in DF:TLJ and she also remembers MOST of what happened to her during DF:TLJ, except of what happened in Storytime itself (in DF:TLJ and DF:C).
But she thinks or more importantly was lead to believe (by whom?) that everything about Arcadia (and the "Save April Ryan messages by Faith") aren't real, but where Dreams induced by the Dreamer prototype she hooked up to.

In Detail she knows about Helena Chang being her Mother, Faith being her (biological?) Sister, her father lying to her about her mother, Reza wanting to uncover WATIcorps plans (see below), travelling to Sankt Petersburg, WATIcrop-HQ, New Port, etc.
Does she actually *remember* all this or is that Information given/told to her by Reza, her Father(, the Eye, WATIcorp) after she awoke from her coma?

The second uncertainty is about what part of WATIcorps (or at least Alvin Peats) plans to control people(s dreams) Reza actually published (and Zoë remembers).

So, Damien was used by WATIcorps as a scapegoat for the virus (Faith's doing) and thus for the static. 
Since the Dreamer was released, people are using them and also Zoë only comments on the Dreamer Ads as having a bad feeling about them but does not know why, my understanding is that neither does she remember WATIcrops/Peats plans nor did (fake) Reza publish the full story.
Since it is stated that Reza did publish something about WATIcorp doings, I wonder what he actually wrote about then? 

From what is (rather wagely) hinted at I understand that what Reza published was not the whole truth? Or did he actually uncover the dream-control part and WATIcorp used Damien not only as scapegoat for the static but also for this part?

On the other hand Zoë comments on Olivia’s and Damien's deaths being "convenient". Does that mean she remembers something or is this (like her distrust about the Dreamer) just supposed to be a gut feeling reaction?

Any correction, addition or obvious deduction I missed would be highly appreciated!

#2 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:06

From what is (rather wagely) hinted at I understand that what Reza published was not the whole truth? Or did he actually uncover the dream-control part and WATIcorp used Damien not only as scapegoat for the static but also for this part?

I think this is correct. Evil Damien tried to use the Dreamachine technology to spy on people, the Static was a side-effect.

On the other hand Zoë comments on Olivia’s and Damien's deaths being "convenient". Does that mean she remembers something or is this (like her distrust about the Dreamer) just supposed to be a gut feeling reaction?

I interpreted it as her not consciously remembering anything, but either being smart enough to realise that something stinks (even if she truly remembers nothing -which I doubt) or some part of her subconscious saying "That's a lie".

• SadoMazOMGie likes this

#3 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:02

In Detail she knows about Helena Chang being her Mother, Faith being her (biological?) Sister, her father lying to her about her mother, Reza wanting to uncover WATIcorps plans (see below), travelling to Sankt Petersburg, WATIcrop-HQ, New Port, etc.

Does she actually *remember* all this or is that Information given/told to her by Reza, her Father(, the Eye, WATIcorp) after she awoke from her coma?

Didn't she explicitly deny remembering breaking into WATI in the conversation with Roman? I don't think she remember St. Petersburg either.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#4 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:02

If you listen to all the "inner monologue" Zoë does, she does say she remembers some bits and pieces of what happened.

The thing is, given what not-Reza, her father and eveybody else told her, she doesn't believe it's real.

And as you said, it seems the part she really doesn't remember is what happened in Storytime. Or maybe she does to some level, because she does say that a lot of random people in Propast look familiar.

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#5 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:05

she does say that a lot of random people in Propast look familiar.

That could simply be because they're backers. Or it could be both!

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:49

If you listen to all the "inner monologue" Zoë does, she does say she remembers some bits and pieces of what happened.

The thing is, given what not-Reza, her father and eveybody else told her, she doesn't believe it's real.

And as you said, it seems the part she really doesn't remember is what happened in Storytime. Or maybe she does to some level, because she does say that a lot of random people in Propast look familiar.

Yes, but not that bit

Roman: And you still remember nothing of going to Japan, breaking into WATIcorp?

Zoë: Nope. I exposed a global conspiracy and all they gave me was a lousy coma. Aside from you, Reza and my dad, no one even knows I was involved. Reza left me out of his exposé. And even he doesn't know what really happened during the week I was gone. Maybe my friend Olivia knew something, but she… passed away.

You're right that she's confused about what was real and what wasn't, but that seems to be Arcadia in particular.

Relevant part of the transcript

Spoiler

• agirlnamedbob, NeilClaimer and DollyDagger like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#7 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 14:40

Zoë is a particularly unreliable narrator here, and that can have many reasons. It was formerly noticed how everyone with answers, with the questionable exception of Reza, seems to be out of her reach.

Is the question really what she knows and not rather what she wants to know?

Gabriel has answers, big time. He's somewhere else and Zoë doesn't want anything to do with him right now. Wonkers at least knows about Helena Chang and could fill in some blanks. But his battery is shot, conveniently. The circumstances of her former friends' deaths would be a an appropriate thing for her to investigate. She doubts the official stories, but doesn't exactly try to find out the truth. It's all spotty when she retells the past. She seems to remember quite enough to know she was the heroine of that story, but wouldn't quite remember some gruesome details like the WATI breakin... seriously?

And then there's Reza. Who supposedly uncovered the conspiracy, but "left Zoë" out of it. I'd love to read those articles, really. Was it Reza who exposed Damien as a traitor? What exactly DID he expose, if not that? WATI's reputation certainly seems unharmed by whatever the scriberling put down. Jesus, Zoë, take a look at that coverage, because it probably isn't.

Instead, Zoë focuses on her new job, her boyfriend and politics. It's a life, certainly. But not hers.

"Waking up" can mean a lot for Zoë, including, of course, the revelation that she is in fact dreaming herself into Stark, still in a coma. In this case, it's only natural that her subconscious would try to suppress the moment she came into that kind of dream, giving her a more plausible start into life. At the moment and at the very least, I would argue that her recollection of the past has some very oddly placed holes, and those could very well be purposeful.

• agirlnamedbob and DollyDagger like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#8 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 00:54

That could simply be because they're backers. Or it could be both!

Well, they did have to give names to all the people she saved in Storytime...  :)

#9 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:56

To me Zoë believes most of what she does remember from the "missing week", which is actually a lot more that she admits to herself, are false, implanted memories, she even mentions the little girl in the screens, and that happened right from the beginning of DF:TLJ, it happens 2 times, or 3, if you accept Olivia's invite to see the cool new thing she has to show you, before even meeting Reza, or being inside a "building full of drug addicts", and that also happened before she was ever connected to a Dreamer. I don't see any reason she wouldn't remember those things, and all the details from them. In the case of the "building full of drug addincts", why doesn't she remember seeing "the drug addicts" actually connected to prototype Dreamers?

The way I undestand that is that she actually remembers most of what happened if DF:TLJ, but doesn't believe most of it, because "they filled in the blanks". I think that whoever "they" are, and not-Reza is one of them, "they" used a combination of lies (Damien being the mastermind behind it all), the fact that some of the things she does remember are quite far-fetched (Arcadia), some things she remembers and are confirmed in not-Reza's exposé (the fact that the Dreamer can be used to implant false memories) and that she was in a coma for 1 year and a half (which can do strange things to one's memories), to convice her not to believe most of it.

In short: "they" conviced her to only believe the parts that do match not-Reza's exposé.

The thing is, that's not really the part she need to remember. What she needs to remember is what happened in Storytime. And she only vaguely remembers that, that's why a lot of people seem oddly familiar, like she met them before somewhere else, but she has no idea from where.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, unless someone comes up with a better idea  :D

• Ringtail, Pawlo_86 and DollyDagger like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book One, Zoe, Zoë, Reza, Memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users