51 replies to this topic

#41 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:46

yeah when i saw that steam have hours on record. i dont want to use it. i really dont want to know how many hours of my life i've spent on playing games.

OK, I've never heard of that reason for not liking Steam: "OK, I know I've wasted tons of hours of my life playing games; just don't tell me how many cause I'll get depressed". Is that about it? :D

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#42 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:15

yeah

#43 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 23:10

ROTFLMAO :D :D

#44 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:06

Gog works fine.  Some may prefer the manual patching because Steam (unless you either play it in offline mode or change the defaults), Steam automatically updates the patch...and once in a while, patches cause problems.  And if you do have problems with a patch, I'm not sure if you can go back to a previous version of the game in Steam...if you uninstall the game it will (I think) only allow you to install the most up-to-date version.  Whereas on gog, you could load the original game and choose not to load the patch.

I use both, but personally, I will use gog or gamersgate in preference to Steam if the price is the same, in part because I'm concerned about Steam becoming a monopoly that will dictate the price and availability of games. One of the advantages of PC gaming over console gaming is the third-party vendors for both hardware and games make for better prices and a greater variety of content.  Also, some games have issues with playing offline in Steam and while I'm always online on my desktop, my laptop is usually not connected to the internet. But Steam is vastly better than the horror that is Uplay, and I've heard bad things about Origin too, though I haven't used it.

#45 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:13

If Origin is a pile of turd, then Uplay is a leaking old septic tank. <_<

#46 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:22

My personal theory is that Kurtz had a glimpse of Uplay at the end of Heart of Darkness .

• Mr Moo likes this

#47 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:45

One sort of odd advantage of GoG is that it's possible to download and keep multiple versions of a game. So, if you wanted, you could load up v1.0 of DFC and play around with the glitches, like walking though a door into the void and walking around where you're not supposed to be able to go. ;)

#48 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:18

One sort of odd advantage of GoG is that it's possible to download and keep multiple versions of a game. So, if you wanted, you could load up v1.0 of DFC and play around with the glitches, like walking though a door into the void and walking around where you're not supposed to be able to go. ;)

Yeah, like you said, odd advantage, a funny one that is XD

#49 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:44

I've heard bad things about Origin too, though I haven't used it.

Meh. For reasons I don't even want to know, there are quite a few Electronic Arts haters, and they'll go on about how bad Origin is without having used it for the last few years.

These days its just a poor man's version of Steam, it manages your EA digital games collection (and if you create an Origin account with the same e-mail address as your Steam account it can even "import" Steam games) and is the only way to get digital editions for all EA games, and little else. Unlinke Steam, It doesn't have communities, or those cards thingies, or the modding. Oh, and it also logs how much time you play the games.

Still, if you want to play say Battlefield 4 or Mass Effect 3 or TitanFall or Dragon Age Inquisition it is pretty much the only way to go. Sure, you can get them on disks (I guess lots of DVDs given how big they are) but then you need to download and install many gigabytes of patches. Origin at least does that automatically for you.

Oh, and sometimes, I don't know how frequently, they do the "On The House", where EA gives you an old game for free.

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#50 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 15:17

No doubt some people had bad experiences with Origin and, likely after considerable effort to get things right, finally gave up and wrote Origin off. At that point, for many people, it's now too late for Origin to make amends. They feel the company doesn't truly have its customers interests at heart and is only behaving better because it has to, not because it really learned any lessons.

I've never used Origin myself, but I can understand feelings like that.

#51 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 15:54

Meh. For reasons I don't even want to know, there are quite a few Electronic Arts haters, and they'll go on about how bad Origin is without having used it for the last few years.

Origin is the only 'game client' I have in fact ever used (I was young and needed to finish that stupid trilogy). "Hating" Orgin didn't make much sense to me. Hating Electronic Arts and their deciders however does make an awful lot of sense to me – as well as avoiding any kind of product they could possibly release, regardless of their PC client.
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#52 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2424 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 December 2014 - 16:35

The only time I used Origin was when a couple of months they offered The Sims 2 for free. I had played it some time ago and then never came back, so just decided to give it a go. I played it a couple of times, then stopped again for a few weeks. When I went back to Origin, the game had just vanished, for some weird reason. And because it was free, I had no proof of purchase for it.

I went online to see if this was a common issue and found many people complaining about games suddenly vanishing from their Origin accounts...

I mean, I just lost a free game which I probably was not going to play much anyway, to be honest, so no big deal. But I will probably never use Origin again after discovering that it seems to be a fairly common thing...

• Mr Moo likes this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users