51 replies to this topic

#21 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 15:46

Not here though, because it would be way off topic.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#22 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 December 2014 - 15:53

It's DRM in the sense that you have to be logged into Steam in order to install the game, and to get any patches.

And to play the game.

#23 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 16:08

We never stay on topic. And as soon as we try to move off topic discussions people are enjoying to their own thread, the conversation dies. ;)

We can start a thread though if people want to continue the great digital distribution platform debate. But the last time it came up there didn't seem to be a lot of interest in starting said thread since several of the regulars have already gone rounds on it here and there already.

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#24 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 17:00

And to play the game.

Well, playing offline is playing offline, the real difference like I said, it's the fact that valve, the next time you connect your steam to the internet, they will know the exact time  you have played.

So industrial spying like I was suggesting.

I'm sure we can find another reason to don't like steam, It's just that connecting to a offline software don't appear to me like something bad, where as when you reconnect this software to the net, there may be lying a real reason to not like this platform...

And anyway, I think you all aggree that we all prefer physical distribution.

Edited by ct2651, 07 December 2014 - 17:05.

#25 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 07 December 2014 - 17:36

What I found odd was I toggled to play DFC in offline mode, yet at the end it was able to tell me percentages of who else had chosen what. How could it possibly know that if it was offline? Does the game come pre-loaded with stats and just uses them if you're offline?

#26 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 17:49

What I found odd was I toggled to play DFC in offline mode, yet at the end it was able to tell me percentages of who else had chosen what. How could it possibly know that if it was offline? Does the game come pre-loaded with stats and just uses them if you're offline?

Probably, just like steam remember stats the software have put in advance in your computer

#27 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 December 2014 - 20:14

Well, playing offline is playing offline, the real difference like I said, it's the fact that valve, the next time you connect your steam to the internet, they will know the exact time  you have played.

So industrial spying like I was suggesting.

I'm sure we can find another reason to don't like steam, It's just that connecting to a offline software don't appear to me like something bad, where as when you reconnect this software to the net, there may be lying a real reason to not like this platform...

And anyway, I think you all aggree that we all prefer physical distribution.

If you uninstall Steam, then any game with Steam DRM (which isn't every game on Steam, but apparently a lot) will stop working. They can't be played without Steam installed, and you (or whoever owns the game) logged in. Sure, you may put Steam in offline mode, but Steam has to stay installed, with an appropriate account authenticated, or it won't work. As I said, if it doesn't bother you, then it's not an issue. It sure doesn't bother me, but I like people to make informed choices. :)

That said, I don't use GoG, and don't plan to. Except for Battlefield and a handful of other exceptions, all my games are on Steam, because that's what I prefer.

I surely don't prefer physical distribution. Producing and shipping physical goods destroys our environment, gives less back to the content creators etc. Only reason I sometimes buy physical releases, is that they're often cheaper than digital :blink:, at least where I live, and I only buy them if they have a steam key included.

• ct2651 likes this

#28 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 December 2014 - 20:17

I would assume there are some default numbers, possibly updated in patches (or not?) which are used in offline mode?

#29 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 20:33

If you uninstall Steam, then any game with Steam DRM (which isn't every game on Steam, but apparently a lot) will stop working. They can't be played without Steam installed, and you (or whoever owns the game) logged in. Sure, you may put Steam in offline mode, but Steam has to stay installed, with an appropriate account authenticated, or it won't work. As I said, if it doesn't bother you, then it's not an issue. It sure doesn't bother me, but I like people to make informed choices. :)

That said, I don't use GoG, and don't plan to. Except for Battlefield and a handful of other exceptions, all my games are on Steam, because that's what I prefer.

I surely don't prefer physical distribution. Producing and shipping physical goods destroys our environment, gives less back to the content creators etc. Only reason I sometimes buy physical releases, is that they're often cheaper than digital :blink:, at least where I live, and I only buy them if they have a steam key included.

Thanks, that was a very good summery of any argument I may have tought out later and before, I think you are very good at this, let's find another subject for debate soon then, I like talking with you like that.

Of course, if we find another subject, all of you are invite to the discussion!

• Mr Moo likes this

#30 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 22:06

As I understand it, you do have to have the Steam Client installed, and a valid account, but you do not have to be logged in to play in Offline Mode.

As far as the stats about who chose what in the past, it could be that DFC is still going out and getting the stats from another source. The GoG version has the feature too, and it doesn't have a client at all. So, it seems possible that DFC could reach out to a non-Steam source for the stats even when playing the Steam version.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#31 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 22:14

AFAIK, the data for choices is stored on a shared server so that it can be aggregated en mass. I believe RTG said at one point htat the PS4 version data would be reflected in the overall percentages as well, though I could be wrong about that...? 

So it's possible that if you're playing DFC in offline mode, the game has preloaded data that is updated to reflect the most recent numbers at the time of the patch. I don't know for sure, though. It'd be nice to get an official answer from RTG on that. 

#32 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 December 2014 - 22:20

Whether Steam is in offline mode or the active game is offline are two totally different topics. A game can still go online while steam is in offline mode and vice versa.

#33 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 22:20

I was thinking Offline Mode really only applies to Steam itself, not that the game can't get onto the Internet.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#34 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 22:37

I was more clarifying because some people, like Happy Tree want to play DFC in offline mode. Not in Steam offline mode. The game itself in offline mode. DFC is supposed to have the option to play offline and opt out of the social aspect thing, so if you've done that and you're still seeing social/online numbers, that may be a little alarming. 

I agree that they're different topics, but we're already way the hell off topic. 

#35 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 December 2014 - 23:18

As I understand it, you do have to have the Steam Client installed, and a valid account, but you do not have to be logged in to play in Offline Mode.

As far as the stats about who chose what in the past, it could be that DFC is still going out and getting the stats from another source. The GoG version has the feature too, and it doesn't have a client at all. So, it seems possible that DFC could reach out to a non-Steam source for the stats even when playing the Steam version.

It is not possible to put Steam into offline mode without logging in, and you have to log in (automatically) to use Steam in offline mode. If you choose not to save credentials in Steam options, then offline mode will not work. It even states as much on the option page. :)

#36 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:10

AFAIK, the data for choices is stored on a shared server so that it can be aggregated en mass. I believe RTG said at one point htat the PS4 version data would be reflected in the overall percentages as well, though I could be wrong about that...? 

So it's possible that if you're playing DFC in offline mode, the game has preloaded data that is updated to reflect the most recent numbers at the time of the patch. I don't know for sure, though. It'd be nice to get an official answer from RTG on that. 

Actually, is the asker of the question was completely offline or only offline trough steam... this is really two different state XD

#37 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:16

Actually, is the asker of the question was completely offline or only offline trough steam... this is really two different state XD

Three offline states may apply to DFC, actually.

Computer offline, as in no internet access

Offline set within the game

Steam in offline mode

None, one, some or all of these may be in effect simultaneously. :D

• ct2651 likes this

#38 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:30

Three offline states may apply to DFC, actually.

Computer offline, as in no internet access

Offline set within the game

Steam in offline mode

None, one, some or all of these may be in effect simultaneously. :D

Yeah exactly... So confusing.

#39 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:52

I believe that the DFC options offline mode just means that your choices won't be uploaded to the server, it will still connect to the server and download the percentages if you click the wheel.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#40 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:07

does steam log your playing hours even when you're offline?

didn't read the previous post.

yeah when i saw that steam have hours on record. i dont want to use it. i really dont want to know how many hours of my life i've spent on playing games.

• magic88889 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users