51 replies to this topic

#1 adventure_lover

adventure_lover

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 19:20

Hey guys,

I plan on purchasing the Dreamfall Chapter Series on GoG.com, just because the Special Edition is off by 15% (matching the price of the normal version), plus the previous two games (longest journey, dreamfall) are much cheaper compared to Steam currently.

But there is one major headache: GoG seems to have a very primitive patching system in place, everything has to be downloaded manually, they don't even offer to download a client that will check for updates on games and notify you accordingly, as steam does.

This thread shows ( http://redthreadgame...ers-patch-info/ ) that the patches are up to date on all publishers, maybe GoG not as fast as Steam, but that doesn't matter.

I'm hoping to find a user here that purchased the game on GoG and perhaps can elaborate on the difficulty of the whole patching process - is it necessary to redownload the whole game for these small patches? (Who knows what will come with the next episodes)

Currently, I'm tending towards just buying the old games (Longest Journey and Dreamfall: LJ) on GoG and buying Dreamfall Chapters on Steam, just for the sake of easier management. The older games are not getting constant updates, so no need to act, while Chapters (great game!) will get constant and automatic care by steam.

Can anyone add to this or give advice?

Thanks in advance. :)

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#2 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 19:58

The patching process on GOG is "primitive" only in the sense that the method has been around for decades. The developers supply an executable file to the publisher that exchanges old game data for updated files, and alakazam, your game is patched. Presently, these patches on GOG are in the 300 MB range, whereby older patches are substituted for the newer ones (it seems like you don't have to apply patches 'in order' if you missed one, just the last uploaded one is relevant).

The process on Steam is the very same, in a sense, with some features Ragnar has called "automagical". There's no need for you to "download and install patches" yourself, as Steam will essentially do exactly that for you. The same thing is happening on your computer as it would on GOG, but less attention is drawn to the update process. Which is great for developers whose games require constant patching because they've been rushed out the door far too early, but not so great for users often experiencing the now common "WTF did just update" confusion. It's an open secret that what developers find so damn great with 'clients' only feels like a downside to me.

Thankfully Red Thread Games is still patching fairly transparently – and traditionally – by annoucing their update, supplying patch notes and clear version numbers. The real downside on GOG is that patches take considerably longer to emerge on the platform. That has been a problem particularly for the first patch we've seen, with a whole weekend wasted and a bit of a fuckup on the side of GOG. And of course the first episode was only available a day later than the Steam version. As more patches solving less pressing issues emerge, and as present patches solve issues that would have emerged in future episodes, the whole patching process and its swift execution can be expected to be less of an issue more and more. Also, with each new episode I'd rather expect RTG to 'get it right' and handle simultaneous platform releases as actual, well, simultaneous platform releases. As you haven't yet bought DFC, I would even say that you already missed the greatest issues with GOG. :)

What you seem to want for your games – a single executable installer – does not work well with episodic games 'in schedule'. It is, however, something you can expect to eventually emerge on GOG, but never on Steam.

That is the advice I have to give. It's a biased advice, certainly, because I'd rather throw my PC out the window than install Steam on it, but I do hope that all of what I wrote up there is factual. B)

• agirlnamedbob, khh and Riaise like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 December 2014 - 20:06

Yeah, what V says here is pretty spot on. Patching works fine on GOG, but tends to be about a workday behind patches on Steam. I would expect the future books to be released simultaneously on all platforms.

In the end I'd say it really comes down to preference. If you prefer having the game on GOG rather than Steam, just get it there. If you prefer Steam, or if the automatic updates are very valuable to you, get it there. Both options should work well.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#4 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 December 2014 - 20:12

Steam users will likely never get the books or patches later than GoG, but if that doesn't bother you, or DRM bothers you, then by all means buy the game on GoG. :)

#5 adventure_lover

adventure_lover

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 20:15

@Vainamoinen

Thanks for the extensive answer. I myself am not entirely against steam, the effortless usability appeals to me. Additionally, I have no problem with applying patches manually, it's just a question of efficiency. Plus the prospect of having patches or even episodes later on GoG than steam is troubling, but I hope you're right and they will (especially with episodes) release them an the same date.

As for now, I just bought the first two games on GoG and am downloading them right now. Let's hope they're really as good as advertised - considering I love adventures, I will love these games, though. For DFC, I'm holding off until maybe steam has it on sale, or I'll just buy it in GoG. According to your testament, the updating progress isn't that big a headache as I thought.

edit: Adding to the other reply of @Moohouse:

Dreamfall Chapters itself is DRM free (either on steam or GoG), so I guess you're referring to the general policy of each publisher, when you speak of DRM? I guess in this sense it would be more "ethical" to buy the game at GoG. Well, let's see. ;)

• agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen and khh like this

#6 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 20:21

Actually, 20% off Chapters is something that happens on GOG these days during their 'in and out' sales. All of us here, however, are big fans of people who are willing to buy the game full price. I myself don't like sales while not all episodes of an episodic series have released...

But that music is all in the future if you're all new to this series. Get those combined 30 playing hours of TLJ + Dreamfall behind you, then come back with the usual "okay, which of these games is Dreamfall Chapters like?!" question, and we'll talk again. ;)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#7 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 20:29

wow if you're just starting dreamfall TLJ AND the longest journey now before youre going to play DFC, it's going to take a long time buddy.

TLJ can goes around 20 to 30 hours. and dreamfall TLJ, i cant remember, but more than 10 hours maybe. i finished dreamfall TLJ before dreamfall chapters was released. if i haven't play it today, i just play DFC first.

if you dont have a lot of time, i'd say play dreamfall chapters first. and then TLJ.

you'll have plenty of time playing TLJ while waiting for book 3 to be released.

For GOG, no need to redownload the entire game. you only need to download the patches.

patch that's released in friday afternoon will come to GOG after the weekend. i didn't pay attention what day exactly but it's after the weekend.

#8 adventure_lover

adventure_lover

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 20:33

Well, I guess over the holidays I will have enough time. Quite impressed with the duration of "The Longest Journey", 30 hours? Guess I have a lot to look forward to. :)

Besides, there is no reason to rush this: Dreamfall Chapters is far from finished, and to fully understand the story it's better to play the old games, especially if they are considered classic adventure games. So I'm playing it slow.

Besides, considering that the Kickstarter Campaign gathered 1.8 times its goal, it's not that far a stretch to think that even the five episodes of Chapters won't be the last we will see of this universe. Another reason why I want to get more invested at this time.

• Tina and agirlnamedbob like this

#9 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 20:33

I prefer GoG too. The patch process is not a big deal AFAIC. You sign into GoG, it lets you know you have updates, you go to your library, find the patch, download it, install it.

• agirlnamedbob and Riaise like this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#10 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 December 2014 - 20:56

A GoG Client was already teasered:
http://www.gog.com/galaxy
Chances are we will see a steam like client including auto-update before DFC ist finished.

#11 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 20:58

Besides, there is no reason to rush this: Dreamfall Chapters is far from finished, and to fully understand the story it's better to play the old games, especially if they are considered classic adventure games. So I'm playing it slow.

The Longest Journey is a "classic adventure game", yes.

Dreamfall, by no measure. ;)
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

#12 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 December 2014 - 21:22

The Longest Journey is a "classic adventure game", yes.

Dreamfall, by no measure. ;)

It's an adventure game and some people would consider it "a classic" in the "having lasting significance or worth; enduring" sense. 

[insert your own "close enough" meme]

;)

Seriously, though, thanks for clarifying the process everyone. It's been a while since I've had to patch a game on GOG so I was a little hazy on the process myself. I'm sure this will be useful information to have on hand. 

And adventure_lover, I hope you enjoy the games! And, you know, check back in and let us know what you think. Re: TLJ's length... The joke is trite at this point, but it isn't called The Longest Journey for nothing. It was actually criticized by some for being so long, IIRC. Though, you know, most of us here would say that's nonsense. 

• khh and Em_TC like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#13 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 December 2014 - 21:29

Dreamfall Chapters itself is DRM free (either on steam or GoG), so I guess you're referring to the general policy of each publisher, when you speak of DRM? I guess in this sense it would be more "ethical" to buy the game at GoG. Well, let's see. ;)

I can't find a link now, but the Steam version of Dreamfall Chapters uses Steam DRM since first patch was released. It can't be run at all without Steam. If that bothers you, then don't buy the Steam version.

• adventure_lover likes this

#14 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 21:48

I can't find a link now, but the Steam version of Dreamfall Chapters uses Steam DRM since first patch was released. It can't be run at all without Steam. If that bothers you, then don't buy the Steam version.

I presume you can still play the game in offline mode after the initial installation??

#15 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 December 2014 - 21:51

I presume you can still play the game in offline mode after the initial installation??

I have no reason to believe otherwise, but as I don't use Steam offline mode, I really can't say for sure.

#16 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:58

Steam users will likely never get the books or patches later than GoG, but if that doesn't bother you, or DRM bothers you, then by all means buy the game on GoG. :)

Well, I'm able the play my steam games offline... (is that a DRM then) (by the way, Origin from EA doesn't let you play a game offline, so that is a true DRM)

#17 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:01

It's DRM in the sense that you have to be logged into Steam in order to install the game, and to get any patches.

#18 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:37

It's DRM in the sense that you have to be logged into Steam in order to install the game, and to get any patches.

You have to be logged into GOG to get your patches too no???

#19 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:29

As far as I know you do. I mean, it happens automatically, without you even knowing it, so how could that happen if you're not logged into Steam?

#20 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:51

As far as I know you do. I mean, it happens automatically, without you even knowing it, so how could that happen if you're not logged into Steam?

more importantly guys, the main problem with Steam is all the data they are retrieving from all the hours they know each of their players base is playing...

It's very close to industrial espionage if you think about it...  (This is the main reason to hate valve if you hate it...)

I have an option to not download the patch in todays version of steam, so it happen automatically if you want so. (Parameter of each game, just say you don't want the patch and voila...)

I was also able to install patch from outside of steam for steam games.

If you want your patch, you have to connect to GOG like I'm obliged to be connected to steam.

GOG now let's you download the .exe without installing right away... that is maybe better than having the game automatically install in the hard drive of your choice.

(Who download a .exe without installing it?)

Well, that is my complete opinion. I want a reply on this, I'm starting to like this debate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users