This is an overview of the various beta versions of the game that have currently been released.
This topic will be updated as new versions become available and certain issues are fixed. Please refer to this topic to see the beta feedback guidelines.
For instructions on how to enable the beta version through Steam, please refer to this topic.
P.S. Keep in mind that the Steam client most often needs to be restarted after opting into/out of a beta branch for it to be updated correctly with the current beta version.
- Added official support for Russian text language. Fan-made localization done by the WELL-DING team, creators of the unofficial Russian localization patch.
Contains subtitles for the all dialogue, text/subtitles for videos. Give it up for the WELL-DING team, and the rest of our Russian fans for their patience and dedication!
- Minor fixes such as inconsistencies in certain UI elements/menu setups.
This patch will be available only through the beta section on Steam until August 2018. After that, it's going to be moved to be the standard/non-beta version of DFC.
- Fixed major pathfinding issues in Friar's Keep and Marcuria, which could cause the player to get permanently stuck
- Updated lighting in Storytme, Friar's Keep, Interlude II and Marcuria
- Fixed NPC footsteps in Marcuria
- Fixed camera clipping walls in Zoe's Apartment
- Fixed a number of smaller graphical glitches
- Fixed an issue with visual glitches when skipping certain cut-scenes
- Fixed broken reflection probes after using ALT-TAB in full-screen mode. (Please help us test this fix by running the game in full-screen and alt-tabbing back and forth between the game and your desktop. If things look broken or odd after switching back to the game, let us know!)
- Updated lighting in Dr. Roman's Office
- Updated lighting in Journeyman's Inn
- Xbox controllers (both Xbox360 and Xbox One) should now work in all versions of Windows
- Fixed buggy reflection probes
- Fixed all (?) flickering shadows
- Fixed additional character lighting bugs in Europolis
- Fixed colliders in Marcuria
- Fixed some popping animations where characters interacted with items
- Fixed popping assets on Marcuria wall
- Some new lighting fixes broke (damn lighting keeps breaking in Unity 5) a
- Other very minor bugs. Nothing to worry too much about, luckily.
- Engine updated to Unity 5.2.2p4 with fix for memory leaks
- Fixed various gameplay issues reported by testers
- Fix for Xbox One controller (next patch will further improve upon this and make sure Xbox360- and XboxOne controllers works correctly on different versions of Windows)
- Various lighting fixes
- Numerous collision fixes
- Dialogue and lipsync fixes
- Fixed floating NPCs in Marcuria
- Fixed lighting on inventory items in Europolis
- Made sure inactive collision meshes are hidden correctly on scene start. This should fix issues with seeing blue/green/pink walls and boxes found in the previous build
- Fixed blurry camera in Journeyman's Inn
- Fixed various collision issues
- Fixed issue with cinematic camera clipping through the Bellmaster's mesh in Europolis
- Other minor fixes
- Memory leak: we're waiting on Unity to fix their engine. Patch is expected shortly
- Probably some visual glitches here and there, along with lighting issues in some scenes. We're working on it!
- Occasional dodgy collision, with characters clipping into scenery. We're working on this one, too!
Beta v3.2.2 -
Available as of November 10th 2015 (No longer available):
- General updates to lighting and shadows across multiple locations. Too numerous to list in detail!
- General updates to effects and filters
- General updates to collision across the game. Please let us know if you find any more collision issues!
- Fixed cloth physics objects bugging out when unfocusing and then re-focusing the game window while having the in-game menu open
- On the title screen, GUI elements and 3D assets are no longer being rendered in the background while playing videos
- The story recap video can no longer be played multiple times on top of itself by spam-clicking the recap-button
- While the bug report ( CTRL+B ) window is active/visible, forced the input-field to have focus. If this window still loses focus for some reason, click once outside it and then inside the input-field for it to regain focus
- Multiple cameras were rendering light shafts in scenes when they didn't have to. These cameras have received a stern talking-to and will not be rendering light shafts anymore
- General collision fix: characters' step offset limit changed from 0.2m to 0.1m. This means that it should be harder for characters to scale small objects on the ground
- Pathfinding: reduced the chance for Bip to get stuck in the ramp just before arriving outside the National Front meeting
- Pathfinding: an obscure bug could cause NPCs to walk through walls and objects. This should no longer be possible, unless said NPCs are ghosts or using some sort of advanced phasing technology
- Fixed screen effects bugging out (white screen with black outlines of objects) after minimising and then maximising (ALT-TAB) the game window
- Occlusion fixes in multiple locations
- Fixed more shiny materials, including metallic cows
(bulls however, are still rocking the metallic look)
- There should be fewer floating NPCs in the game
- More performance improvements in certain locations, including Dr Roman's office
- Memory leak related to shadows. This is unfortunately a Unity 5.2 engine bug that we are unable to resolve at this point. As soon as Unity submits a fix, we will update the version. Some players may experience memory leaks that makes the game use progressively more memory, possibly resulting in a crash, specifically in larger locations like Europolis and Marcuria. To resolve, try restarting the game or reduce shadow distance to '0'.
- Bugs with lights/shadows in some locations. We are still working to improve lighting across all locations in the game. This task will be ongoing.
- Bugs with effects and full-screen filters. Some visual effects and camera effects are still missing or reduced. The team will continue to make improvements over time.
- Story flags may occasionally not be properly recognised by the game. We're working on an immediate fix for this.
- Game controllers (such as Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers) may not function properly, due to changes in Unity 5. We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. (Might be related to using such controllers on Windows 10 systems only, but not verified)
Bug Report tool is not working due to incorrect stripping of some API functionality. Shiny cows were actually fixed, we just forgot to fix the bulls (male version).
Link to the full Steam announcement post can be found here.
Because of the non-functional Bug Reporting tool, we will be releasing a newly updated version shortly (today Nov 10th).
New version submitted with fixes to Bug Reporting tool. Version number is still 3.2.2.
Beta v3.2.1 -
Available as of November 3rd 2015 (No longer available):
- Cinematic sync issues have been fixed. Audio/video should now be in perfect harmony again
- Bloom and tone-mapping has been corrected for all (?) scenes in the game. This affects the lighting and general appearance of our beautifully scenic...scenery
- All characters and creatures now feature updated Unity 5 shaders. There should no longer be shiny or metallic organic beings (unless they are tin men or Silver Surfers ... or cows apparently!)
- No more blurry characters/scenes (and no, you don't need glasses) - (still reported to be present in Journeyman's Inn Book 3)
- Directional lights in House of All Worlds have been fixed
- Missing monitor has been brought back to the bio lab
- All scenes have refreshed and rebaked lighting, making them much (hopefully) prettier
- Some scenes have been further optimised
- Something about physics and non-convex colliders. Yeah, I dunno. (Collision in StoryTime - Girl's Bedroom - was fixed, but somehow got through internal testing without being properly synced with new changes. Sorry.)
- Ulvic's hair planes now match his hair! (Or the other way around)
Beta v3.2.0 -
Available as of October 29th 2015 (No longer available):
Follow this link for the official beta announcement with details and changes contained in this version.
Beta v2.0.2 -
Available as of March 19th 2015 (No longer available):
Changelog (contains all changes from v2.0.1 plus the following):
- Fixed a shader problem that could cause glowing corneas ('laser eyes') on ATI video cards. Please note that this is a work in progress and there may still be issues with this shader.
- Fixed an issue where players could get permanently stuck in Zoë's apartment in Book One.
- Brought back missing NPC atmospheric conversations in Europolis. These conversation were present in version 1.x but disappeared in version 2.0.
- Ensured that the game will default to English text/voice if there are missing German/French subtitles or voice files.
- Fixed an issue where interaction points on the shank and key in Friar's Keep in Book One could get offset in a save game.
- Fixed an issue where the mouse pointer could get hidden when application focus was lost during dialogue options.
Beta v2.0.1 -
Available as of March 19th 2015 (No longer available):
- Fixed an issue with jittering animations occurring during cinematic sequences on lower spec OS-X systems.
- Solved a problem where the game would occasionally crash during startup on certain Mac systems with AMD GPU. (Please note that this fix is not verified, and we’re looking for feedback from affected users.)
- Fixed a bug where the game crashed in the Enclave soon after starting the episode on some Mac systems with AMD GPU. (Please note that this fix is not verified, and we’re looking for feedback from affected users.)
- Fixed a problem with the WATI adbot getting stuck in Chapter 4.
- Solved some bugs with the Bip escort mission in Chapter 3. Bip should now reappear and/or reposition if he gets stuck or disappears during the mission. If the player exits the location and re-enters (e.g. by going in and out of the Rooster and Kitten) Bip will also reset, which should solve all problems with this mission. Please let us know if it doesn’t!
- Fixed an issue with the Azadi runner getting stuck or disappearing during his rounds in Chapter 3. Like Bip, the runner will also reset if you exit and re-enter the location.
- Fixed an issue where if you talk to Reza before visiting Dr Roman in Chapter 4, you get an extra goal that never disappears.
- Fixed an issue where if you go to the Pandemonium and speak to Mira before meeting Baruti in Chapter 4, you will always get the introduction for the neural programming career path, regardless of your actual career path.
- Solved a problem with a duplicate dialogue line in the Mr London confrontation from Chapter 2.
- Modified geometry collision in the Enclave and Marcuria, to avoid players getting stuck inside scenery.
- Fixed a problem on MacBooks where the game would be frozen after the laptop goes to sleep and wakes up again.
- Added a new icon for apprehending the Azadi collaborator in Chapter 3, to avoid false arrests. This icon will only be available if you start a new game.
- Zoë’s journal in Chapters 4 and 5 has been expanded to fill in more of the story. To see the new journal entries, you will have to replay the chapters in question.
- Fixed a problem with the inventory GUI getting stuck after being caught by the patrolling dock guard in Chapter 3.
- Added missing German subtitles. There’s still some German text missing: this is arriving together with the German voice overs next week.
- The ‘Continue' button in the main menu is now disabled when the ‘Start Book Two’ option is available, to avoid confusion. ‘Continue’ always loads your last save game; it does not start a new episode.
- All new save games will now be preceded with the chapter number, to make save game organisation a bit easier. Existing save games will not be updated.
- And, finally, the much requested consequence/important dialogue toggle has been added to settings. This is on by default, but can now be switched off.
Beta v1.1.3 -
Available as of December 12th 2014 (No longer available):
- Added back missing ambient sounds in Europolis.
- Slightly improved memory usage in Europolis.
- Changed Fullscreen Mode to "Exclusive Mode" (actual Fullscreen instead of Fullscreen Windowed).
- Added V-Sync enable/disable option under Visual Settings.