Photo
- - - - -

Pink Graphics Error

pink graphics problem error rendering

Best Answer April-An , 02 December 2014 - 22:42

Good news, I found the cause of the problem. It turns out my monitor was plugged into the motherboard and not the graphics card, big error on my part. This explains a lot. So now that I've amended that mistake the game is running perfectly (7x better graphics performance now that the correct card is being used). Relief!  

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 April-An

April-An

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 19:40

So excited to be playing Dreamfall Chapters, but unfortunately I appear to have a big problem with the graphics so help would be greatly appreciated. I have only watched part of the opening scene; several items and character models are being rendered only in bright pink, and the audio is also out-of-sync. The second scene was almost entirely rendered in bright pink. I'm fairly sure this isn't a stylistic choice. I don't have a clue why this is happening or how to go about resolving it. I bought & installed the game via Steam, on Windows 8.1.

#2 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 19:53

You will need to detail your hardware configuration: CPU, RAM, GPU. Also, what settings are you using within DFC? Finally, which version of DFC are you running; which base and which patch?

I suspect we're going to find your system is underpowered and/or your Visuals settings in DFC are set too high.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#3 April-An

April-An

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 20:43

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm running version 1.1.2.0 with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 on Medium visual quality.

Here is my system spec:

My processor is: Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.89 usable)

System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

I also have installed an MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming 2G AMD Graphics Card - 2GB

Motherboard is a Z87 HD3

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 November 2014 - 21:06

You are right in assuming that it's not supposed to look that way.

Make sure you're not forcing the game to run with any particular settings in the Catalyst Control panel, this can produce strange effects in some games. Also try disabling SSAO if you have it enabled in the options.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#5 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1839 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 30 November 2014 - 21:10

you might want to consider using the latest beta drivers from AMD since their stable driver release schedule is so slow, your always running with drivers months and months old otherwise.

#6 April-An

April-An

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 22:04

Thanks for your suggestions. I checked the local files of my installation via Steam, and ran a process called 'verify integrity of game cache' - doing this I found that I was missing 9 files. These have been re-downloaded now and the pink rendering problem has gone away, which is a relief. So it seems there was a problem with my initial download through Steam. The audio is still out of sync however in the introduction, is this a common problem? I'm going to look into all the recommendations too, and thanks for suggesting using the latest beta driver from AMD I'll check that out.

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 November 2014 - 22:07

Some people have experienced some lag. Are you getting any choppiness as well? You may want to try lowering your in game settings after updating your drivers. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#8 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 30 November 2014 - 22:38

The audio is still out of sync however in the introduction

April-An, are you talking about Story Recap playing fast for you?

#9 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 22:46

I, too, had the audio/video sync issue in the opening sequence, particularly when the blue being sings. I was using an nVideo GT 610 GPU. As soon as I swapped it out for a GTX 750 Ti the problem went away. So, based on that, I can say that GPU horsepower can affect the audio/video sync, at least in some situations.

• agirlnamedbob and Mr Moo like this

#10 April-An

April-An

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 00:56

The audio of the story recap plays fine. From the beginning of the intro scene though it is out of sync, most noticeably with the blue being's singing. I played up until Zoe speaks with the first dreamer she encounters, the falling woman, and found that the audio was still very much out of sync. I've updated my graphics driver but the problem persists unfortunately, so I'll look into resolving this tomorrow. I suspect I still have an issue with my drivers somewhere. Graphics are ok, not choppy but seem a little slow. I'll check back. Thanks again for the replies.

#11 April-An

April-An

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 20:13

Unfortunately I've not found a solution to the out-of-sync audio, it's out by several seconds, the animations are very noticeably out of time with the speech. The graphics appear to be running fine, the problem is still there with low graphics settings. I've updated my drivers. Any additional help / recommendations would be really great.

#12 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 20:24

It's really hard to understand why you would have audio/video sync issues with that hardware. I don't know what to suggest.

#13 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 December 2014 - 20:37

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I don't think anyone else has reported the problem either, so it's very difficult to know where to start.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#14 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 02 December 2014 - 22:11

Are there any competing processes (rather than applications)?

#15 April-An

April-An

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 22:42   Best Answer

Good news, I found the cause of the problem. It turns out my monitor was plugged into the motherboard and not the graphics card, big error on my part. This explains a lot. So now that I've amended that mistake the game is running perfectly (7x better graphics performance now that the correct card is being used). Relief!  

• agirlnamedbob, khh, Mr_Russ and 1 other like this

#16 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 22:51

It's funny how often it comes down to the simplest things, the basics. For decades I've had my own 3 rules of IT troubleshooting: connections, connections, connections.

Anyway, glad to hear you've got it resolved. It must kick ass now that you're using the R9 270.

• April-An likes this

#17 April-An

April-An

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 23:12

So true. 

Thanks, it's running so well yeah. Got the visual quality set to Awesome - looks amazing! Such a beautifully designed world / game.

• Mr Moo likes this

#18 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2081 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:02

It's funny how often it comes down to the simplest things, the basics. For decades I've had my own 3 rules of IT troubleshooting: connections, connections, connections.

Anyway, glad to hear you've got it resolved. It must kick ass now that you're using the R9 270.

off_and_on_again.jpg

If our employees could manage this without calling, I could maybe have time for what I'm supposed to be doing ...

• debro likes this

#19 Faxmachinen

Faxmachinen

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 16:45

Good news, I found the cause of the problem. It turns out my monitor was plugged into the motherboard and not the graphics card, big error on my part.

Ha, I did the exact same thing on my first self-built computer. Although in my case the screen was black, so I thought I had bricked it somehow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pink, graphics, problem, error, rendering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users