Photo
- - - - -

Patch 1.1.2 removed Propast street music?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 December 2014 - 23:42

I don't see why beta testing of patches (not books!) should be restricted. Opt in beta via Steam should technically be no problem.

Whether RTG wants public betas is another question.

Technically, it's definitely doable. But coordinating something like that is time-consuming. Gathering bug reports and feedback isn't trivial. And, of course, once you give players potentially buggy code, some people are going to complain when shit breaks. Human nature and all that.

It might be a good idea. We will discuss it. But, yeah, not simply a question of flipping a switch and rolling out beta versions.

• khh and Em_TC like this

#62 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 23:50

Right on Ragnar, to both of your previous posts. I think a lot of people believe that Beta testing is some kind of dream job, that it's cool. I've found that the best Beta testers are people who are truly interested in seeing a better end product, not those simply wanting to get an early peek or being part of some membership-only 'club'. They need to understand that Beta testing is time-consuming, and you have to keep going even when you're really tired of playing the game. Also, most of the good Beta testers I've known have also been good note takers; they're people who take specific, detailed notes about what they encounter.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#63 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:29

...gets a star in our book.

yay I get a star :)

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, myself and I am sure everyone else on the forum will find that an extremely interesting read.

A fair few of us here on the forum were trouble shooting performance issues with 1.0 with what seemed like people with every type of cpu, and gfx card. It just seemed to be such a universal problem I had a hard time understanding how it couldn't have been spotted. It is really extraordinary how that issue didn't happen on any of your hardware. Be interesting to know the specs for future trouble shooting lol But I guess it would be a long list, and take too much time.

I won't go into the points further I think its all been covered.

I can say I thought the launch went very well overall. Definitely better than WoW: WoD lol, and as you say, the new Assassin's Creed was a mess (that was unity too wasnt it ?). I do follow gaming news quite closely.

Thanks again for the reply, and I am very much looking forward to book 2.

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#64 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:57

This whole Screed Unity thing is very confusing. From what I've gathered AC:U uses their in house engine, BUT there is a different (handheld?) game in the AC series that did use the Unity Engine. 

I also think it's kind of important to remember that if you go by the forums it's going to seem like a large number of people are having issues because beyond the regulars and hardcore fans, the majority of people who hunt down a forum for a game are people who are having issues with said game. So even though a relatively high number of people are raising their voices about issues, they might make up a smaller percentage of people playing the game than one might think. It's really hard to say without all of the data.

RTG probably has a better idea how many people have bought the game vs. how many people have had serious issues. 

Not to say I'm not with you, Lee. Immediately post launch, I was definitely worried because it seemed like everyone was having issues from my perspective over here. But I also haven't followed that many game releases as closely as I've followed this one, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. Things got sorted quickly and RTG was great and now that I have a bit more perspective and information I feel much less concerned than I did in the thick of things. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#65 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:58

I believe Assassin's Creed: Unity is just the name of the game, not that it uses the Unity engine.

• Em_TC likes this

#66 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:21

I believe Assassin's Creed: Unity is just the name of the game, not that it uses the Unity engine.

I don't follow the Assassin's Creed games too closely, im sure one of them used the unity engine. I could be mistaken on that however. As far as I know the new one is on some Anvil engine or something.

#67 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:30

Looked it up. All the big console releases use the in house Anvil/AnvilNext engine, but AC: Identity for iOS was done with Unity. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#68 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:32

but AC: Identity for iOS was done with Unity. 

maybe that's it, I remember it being mentioned some place, maybe on jimquisition :)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#69 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:04

I don't know Assassin's Creed really at all, but I recall hearing about AC:Unity and wondering about the engine, so I looked it up and found out it was the game's name, not its technology.l

#70 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:03

Technically, it's definitely doable. But coordinating something like that is time-consuming. Gathering bug reports and feedback isn't trivial. And, of course, once you give players potentially buggy code, some people are going to complain when shit breaks. Human nature and all that.

It might be a good idea. We will discuss it. But, yeah, not simply a question of flipping a switch and rolling out beta versions.

I was thinking more of a "last beta", not of sending the really untested out.
In the moment, most bugs are found by gamers on steam before the patches even arrives on the other release platforms. This way they are already some kind of testers, you "just" need to make it official.
My suggestion would be to first move patches you already validated to Steam beta, wait for the input as usual and then decide whether to move them to the release channel. This would also enable you to have nearly simulatinous release on the different release-platforms since you could delay the steam release until humble is ready, because whoever wants the patch earlier could get it already via the beta channel.

#71 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 16:16

OK, but it's the validating part that we're talking about; how to Beta test patches early on. The way I see it, once a patch is working in-house, it would go to the fan-based Beta testers for more in-depth testing. The Beta testers would submit bug reports, presumably using a form to classify the bugs so that RTG could more easily find out which bugs are being encountered most frequently and tackle them first.

• toremygg likes this

#72 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 04 December 2014 - 16:26

With Cyan, we had a (hidden) beta test forum.

#73 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2014 - 22:23

Morten went ahead:
http://redthreadgame...e-through-Steam
  • Em_TC likes this

#74 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:37

So is there any chance that the patch 1.1.3 brings back he talking bins and the music from Propast bars and lounges or is it too late to apply them ?

#75 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:45

So is there any chance that the patch 1.1.3 brings back he talking bins and the music from Propast bars and lounges or is it too late to apply them ?

It will. That's one of the main goals of that patch.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#76 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:25