Photo
- - - - -

Patch 1.1.2 removed Propast street music?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 01 December 2014 - 15:48

They only talk trash anyway.

*drum roll*

• WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob, Jana and 4 others like this

#22 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 December 2014 - 15:55

Thanks for the update, Ragnar! :) 

I actually had a moment on the way to work where I wondered if maybe this bug was related to testing / trying to implement the music folder for putting in our own music situation.  :wacko: If so, I feel bad for bringing it up. If it's unrelated, then I hope it's an easy thing for you guys to sort out. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#23 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 01 December 2014 - 16:10

Really happy the music wasn't intentionally cut, that would have made me a sad panda. I really like all the extra music in Europolis as well as the main tune.

I imagine the beta/testing team isnt exactly a big group, guess its not not like RTG just send the game off to an EA style super lab to be tested on all known hardware, but they do seem to miss an awful lot of really obvious stuff.
  • Em_TC likes this

#24 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 17:26

Not to beat a dead horse, but I still believe this is an argument for using backers/volunteers to Beta test. A bigger net would catch a lot more bugs.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#25 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 18:08

Not to beat a dead horse, but I still believe this is an argument for using backers/volunteers to Beta test. A bigger net would catch a lot more bugs.

This is a minor issue if I ever saw one. :mellow:

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#26 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 December 2014 - 18:16

Don't jump to conclusions. Nothing was (intentionally) removed from Europolis. Our optimisations were more elegant — and a lot more complicated — than that. No, this is probably a bug that, unfortunately, was not caught by our testers.

As far i know you removed NPCs on bridges in upper level of Europolis so i thought that you may remove extra music to reduce use of RAM. I'm happy that it was turned out to be just a glitch.

#27 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 01 December 2014 - 18:21

That's not universal, Pawlo_86. If you play on Awesome, all of the NPCs are still there.

• Pawlo_86 likes this

#28 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 December 2014 - 18:21

Yeah...I know I'm going to sound like I'm white knighting in here to defend RTG, but I honestly do still stand behind RTG not using backer/volunteer beta testers. It makes sense for games that have more action oriented mechanics, but with games like this the story and the plot is the main feature of the game. Information leaks would be bad for their business model. 

• Edreamer Jamil and Pawlo_86 like this

#29 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 December 2014 - 18:32

Yeah...I know I'm going to sound like I'm white knighting in here to defend RTG, but I honestly do still stand behind RTG not using backer/volunteer beta testers. It makes sense for games that have more action oriented mechanics, but with games like this the story and the plot is the main feature of the game. Information leaks would be bad for their business model.

Not using backers as beta testers for new books I agree with 100 %.

But giving backers (or possibly everyone) the ability to opt-in for beta access to patches (this would have to happen through Steam - sorry V :P) makes a whole lot of sense, as it would give them access to more hardware and more testers who knew what to expect. That would probably have allowed them to catch this bug, and it might also help with identifying the problems with translation that we've seen. Note that I'm not saying that RTG should absolutely do it, there are probably more things I'm unaware of that would have to be considered - but it is something to consider.

• agirlnamedbob, Em_TC, Mr Moo and 1 other like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#30 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 December 2014 - 18:36

But giving backers (or possibly everyone) the ability to opt-in for beta access to patches <snip for space>

That's not a bad point. And one I hadn't considered. 

• Mr Moo likes this

#31 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1627 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 01 December 2014 - 19:11

People - meaning many backers - still wouldn't get it though. For every person happy to help and beta test a patch there'd be 5 or 6 at least posting their anger on the forums and kickstarter comments that the latest patch was still bugged

I mean that happens now anyway, but imagine if there was something game breaking that only became evident on a quick playthrough...

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#32 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 December 2014 - 19:25

That is why I specified that it would have to be opt in. But the concept of opt-in beta work for many other games.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#33 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 01 December 2014 - 20:04

I've done NDA beta before.

#34 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 December 2014 - 20:20

Administration of the participants and their feedback may just be too much to handle for a small team? It does sound like it could be useful though.

• agirlnamedbob, khh and Em_TC like this

#35 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 22:35

Just to be clear, I wasn't thinking of an open Beta, where everyone can opt-in to test a patch. And I'm not talking hundreds of testers. I was thinking of several dozen, who are selected based on their hardware/software configuration, to attempt to cover as many different configurations as possible.

• khh, toremygg, Mr_Russ and 1 other like this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#36 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 December 2014 - 22:56

Actually Patch 1.1.2 removed in Propast:

- all background music,

- strong noise of space cruser,

- female voice about sun,

All those things are gone!

• khh likes this

#37 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:58

Yeah, I was just about to remark on the sun having shut up as well. ;)

• Tracido likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#38 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:15

Patch 1.1.3 should fix the missing sounds and music

http://redthreadgame...ing/#entry54447

• agirlnamedbob and Em_TC like this

#39 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:36

Honestly didn't even notice until you guys pointed it out xD

jHevh80.jpg

#40 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 December 2014 - 16:51

I imagine the beta/testing team isnt exactly a big group, guess its not not like RTG just send the game off to an EA style super lab to be tested on all known hardware, but they do seem to miss an awful lot of really obvious stuff.

I have to say I STRONGLY disagree with that statement. While we don't have a lot of testers, they ARE meticulous. The trouble with these sounds was that a) they were there until the last build we made, and B) it's the sort of thing that's incredibly easy to miss, unless you're specifically looking (listening) for it. During testing, we tend to focus on the bugs that we've fixed and that the game is playable all the way through without any blockers or serious glitches. Sound is one of the most difficult things to spot, unless it's very obvious, like missing spot effects or voices.

Unfortunately, every time we make a new build, there's a chance something can go wrong — as it did in this case — and we have to test it thoroughly from beginning to end. We were already running late on version 1.1.3 and we wanted it out before Thanksgiving weekend, and thus the final testing round was rushed. Still, I'm not sure this particular bug would have been caught even with more time to test: when someone's played the game a thousand times already, it's easy to miss things like this.

Given the size of our team, I don't think we miss "an awful lot of really obvious stuff". It's a big game, there will always be bugs. We catch most of them and fix them right away. The rest we hear/read about and fix as soon as humanly possible. Have you played any recent AAA games? Those guys have hundreds of testers, and still...

• Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 6 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users