(it's my first time post here - and my first post in english - so please be patient with me )
In the past few Weeks I had the urge to replay The Longest Journey and Dreamfall - sort of an preparation for Dreamfall-Chapters. I had such fond memories of these games and I am really glad, that these memories still hold up to reality and that I backed the new game on kickstarter!
So - back to the topic:
In my replay of these games I noticed heavy parallels and/or nods to the TV Show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I don't know if this was discussed or if this is just know around the fan base, but I was really pleasantly surprised by this. It would be cool to collect some of the references here and to disscuss them.
BTVS is one of my most favorite shows ever (besides everything else from Joss whedon - whom I am a HUGE fan of, especially Firefly and BTVS) and it hit me with a stone, when I discovered, that one of my most favorite games series (TLJ and Dreamfall) has so much in common with the other stuff I love. Perhaps this is the reason WHY I like both of these things so much
- The Protagonis is a girl. It's not just girl - it is a strong female CHARAKTER that is real and that you can relate to. Sometimes they are self-refertential and sometimes they throw in some pop-cultural references.
- The name "Faith" (for the girl in Dreamfall) and the word-play with it parallels a similar thing to buffy. First: there is a character named "faith" in BTVS and secondly - the Sister of Buffy is named Dawn - and she is referenced in a dream sequence by "be back before dawn" (before you know, that she exists) - which is almost the same thing, that happens in Dreamfall, where the white of the Kin says something like "Faith will lead you".
- Zoe discovers, that she has a sister, that she didn't know - exactly like Buffy
- Zoe/April have some special power that they didn't wish for. They are normal human beings - that struggle and accept these powers and are helped by friends and the world around them, to help save the world
- Magic exists in both universes (TLJ and Buffy)
- there exist a guide/someone that always knows what to do: Buffy - Giles; TLJ - Cortez; Dreamfall - Olivia
and some more stuff. Which references did you spot?
and - A thing where I had to laugh: I watched the beginning of the Playthrough of Dreamfall by the Red-Thread-Team - and suddenly somebody starts to sing "where do we go from here" from the Buffy-Musical
Is it just me - or are there some Buffy fans over there in Norway
(I really really love the Works of Joss Whedon - for they are character driven and tell personal stories mixed with fun. And he manages to create REAL human worlds (with BOTH men and women - and gay people) - just like the TLJ-Saga did. I think this is - besides the heart that was put into these creations - the reason, why TLJ and Dreamfall feel real to me) please Red-Thread-Games: don't screw this up. You could use themes from firefly this time (family, trust, faith,...)