#1 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 21 November 2014 - 23:17

I introduced this parallel in another forum, and, thought it would be an interesting topic. Zoe's exit from Story Time appears, in some ways, to parallel April's exit from the Guardian's Realm at the end of TLJ.

I recall reading an interview with Ragnar where he says that April lost faith. Zoe also lost Faith at the end of Dreamfall. Is the theme of "faith" playing out in Chapters? Does Zoe's misfortune parallel Aprils? 

• Dmm and DollyDagger like this

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 November 2014 - 23:59

I actually think this is a really good call out. There seem to be a lot of parallels between Zoe and April's stories, right now. Both of the last two games ended on sort of an odd note. An inversion of the typical ending for a hero. April finds out she isn't who she thought she was (the next Guardian). 

Zoe finds out she also isn't quite who she thought she was...with the reveals about her family. And she ends up in a coma. 

April's encounter in the Banda hut is also similar to Zoe's storytime confrontation with herself. 

I think there are a lot of parallels, if you look for them. And most of them seem to revolve around the faith cycle thing that Ragnar and Dag came up with for Dreamfall that I remember reading about on the Wiki. 

• WorldsReunited, khh, Dmm and 1 other like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:20

I think there are a lot of parallels, if you look for them. And most of them seem to revolve around the faith cycle thing that Ragnar and Dag came up with for Dreamfall that I remember reading about on the Wiki.

(Let me just drop in here with a link - then I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled broadcast)

• agirlnamedbob and DollyDagger like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#4 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:38

I actually think this is a really good call out. There seem to be a lot of parallels between Zoe and April's stories, right now. Both of the last two games ended on sort of an odd note. An inversion of the typical ending for a hero. April finds out she isn't who she thought she was (the next Guardian). 

Zoe finds out she also isn't quite who she thought she was...with the reveals about her family. And she ends up in a coma. 

April's encounter in the Banda hut is also similar to Zoe's storytime confrontation with herself. 

Yes! I had forgotten about the Bak-Baar.

(Let me just drop in here with a link - then I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled broadcast)

I would like to play the Director's Cut.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:53

Thanks for digging up the link. I was running out the door, so I was too lazy to find it. As also evidenced by the fact that I was too l lazy to look up the word "Bak-Baar."

Yes! I had forgotten about the Bak-Baar.

Honestly, I probably would have forgotten about it, too, had I not finished replaying TLJ *and* watched a stream of it literally a couple of days before playing DFC. So it was fresh and the parallel between those two scenes struck me immediately. 

Though this does make me wonder if Kian will have some sort of similar him vs. himself confrontation. Seems to be a theme. 

#6 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:48

Though this does make me wonder if Kian will have some sort of similar him vs. himself confrontation. Seems to be a theme. 

I wish we could view the parts of Kian's story that had been cut from the game. In Dreamfall there just wasn't enough to get a feeling about his internal conflicts, weakness or issues. To me he was just 2 denominational - he moved the story along and added some complexity.

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:56

I think it says a lot that he's already so much more likable and human in DFC and we've only seen him for a little bit. Granted, those who haven't taken the time to really listen to his thoughts on all of the clickables in that book might not feel that way, but I feel like his personality is already shining through much more. We know he's an important character to the series. I hope we'll see much of what was cut from DF now in Chapters. 

Though speaking of literary / story telling conventions, I was listening to the archives of Pop Culture Happy Hour on NPR and one of the guys on there was talking about how he wanted to read a story where the character goes through all the classic hero's journey stuff and is built up to be the hero only to get to the bit where (s)he'd becoming the hero and then have the grand high wizard or whomever be like "Uh...So about that. You're actually not the chosen one. You can go home..." and the rest of the story would be about them dealing with not being the one or just going home and having some ice cream or whatever.

I was basically like "Uh, did you mean The Longest Journey...?" 

• wandrew, khh, Ringtail and 4 others like this

#8 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:32

Though speaking of literary / story telling conventions, I was listening to the archives of Pop Culture Happy Hour on NPR and one of the guys on there was talking about how he wanted to read a story where the character goes through all the classic hero's journey stuff and is built up to be the hero only to get to the bit where (s)he'd becoming the hero and then have the grand high wizard or whomever be like "Uh...So about that. You're actually not the chosen one. You can go home..." and the rest of the story would be about them dealing with not being the one or just going home and having some ice cream or whatever.

I was basically like "Uh, did you mean The Longest Journey...?" 

To bad you weren't listening in real time.

I am glad there are no true "antiheroes". I cringe every time I meet an anti-hero law enforcement officer  I do like the Michael Keaton Batman. So, I need to give some thought as to why I can accept Batman but not antiheroes in general.

#9 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:51

I wish we could view the parts of Kian's story that had been cut from the game. In Dreamfall there just wasn't enough to get a feeling about his internal conflicts, weakness or issues. To me he was just 2 denominational - he moved the story along and added some complexity.

I didn't realize that there had been more Kian planned though it makes sense.  Perhaps I'd have gotten more invested in Kian's story if it had formed a larger part of the game.  I have to say that I found the Stark side of the Dreamfall story much more compelling and better developed than the Arcadia side.  Although now that I think about it, most of what I remember from TLJ (it's more than ten years since I played it) is from Stark, too,so maybe I just connect with that world better.

#10 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:39

I didn't realize that there had been more Kian planned though it makes sense.  Perhaps I'd have gotten more invested in Kian's story if it had formed a larger part of the game.  I have to say that I found the Stark side of the Dreamfall story much more compelling and better developed than the Arcadia side.  Although now that I think about it, most of what I remember from TLJ (it's more than ten years since I played it) is from Stark, too,so maybe I just connect with that world better.

When I think of TLJ, I tend to remember Marcuria and the World of Magic, and, April's friends and the  Border House in Stark. I didn't like the rest of Stark.

#11 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 December 2014 - 18:06

I recall reading an interview with Ragnar where he says that April lost faith. Zoe also lost Faith at the end of Dreamfall. Is the theme of "faith" playing out in Chapters? Does Zoe's misfortune parallel Aprils? 

Faith and "faith" are mentioned in Book One many times. I pretty like it - little reference to Dreamfall.

• Veen Friend likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users