#1 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 29 January 2014 - 18:59

Somewhat random question for the developers using the Unity engine - and one not even relevant to me apart from professional curiousity. So feel free to ignore I guess :)

I've been keeping posted on another game also funded by Kickstarter over a year ago which is making a successor (not clone!) of the old Dungeon Keeper games. This is being built using the Unity engine but they've been having trouble creating a stable build the game for OSX (Macs basically). See https://wftogame.com...o-wednesday-55/.

My curiosity lies in that I was wondering if RTG have had similar issues when testing for OSX (if there's been any testing on OSX?) as the underlying cause seems to be an issue with the Unity engine itself?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#2 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 29 January 2014 - 19:43

Wonder if that issue (whatever it is), also effects Linux builds.

#3 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 January 2014 - 23:50

We build for both PCs and Macs all the time, and I personally test every build on a Mac. We've never had any issues, and Unity's worked perfectly cross-platforms. We haven't started testing the Linux version yet, but I expect it'll be just as painless.

Could be those guys are using shaders or plugins the Mac doesn't like. Hard to tell without taking a look at their project.

• DiskJunky and BummsGeordy like this

#4 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 23:56

We build for both PCs and Macs all the time, and I personally test every build on a Mac. We've never had any issues, and Unity's worked perfectly cross-platforms. We haven't started testing the Linux version yet, but I expect it'll be just as painless.

Could be those guys are using shaders or plugins the Mac doesn't like. Hard to tell without taking a look at their project.

Good to know :) Chances are i'll want to play it on Linux at some point.

#5 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:28

Good to know :) Chances are i'll want to play it on Linux at some point.

I definitely will - the only reason I still use windows is the number of games that only run on it :)

As an aside, when Valve was porting their code (Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead...) to linux they found they were actually getting better graphics performance - which they weren't expecting. It made the news there about a year ago. I'm curious to see the Unity build on Linux to see how it compares

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#6 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:29

Good to know - I was curious to see if the issue they'd encountered was specific to them or a more general issue with Unity

#7 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 13:41

As an aside, when Valve was porting their code (Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead...) to linux they found they were actually getting better graphics performance - which they weren't expecting. It made the news there about a year ago. I'm curious to see the Unity build on Linux to see how it compares

I doubt that is down to the OS. Its more likely valves coding style and choice of API. Still, I've been doing more gaming on my Xubuntu install where possible, so it interests me.

#8 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 15:52

I doubt that is down to the OS. Its more likely valves coding style and choice of API. Still, I've been doing more gaming on my Xubuntu install where possible, so it interests me.

Well, it was mainly down to the OpenGL library; http://www.theregist...aster_on_linux/

Which presumably is what Unity uses when compiling against Linux. As I said, it'll be interesting to compare.

But what the Valve developers didn't expect, they say, was how much of the performance gain was attributable to OpenGL, the cross-platform graphics API that they used to implement the game on Linux.

#9 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:48

I was just reading the latest update from WFTO here: https://wftogame.com...the-os-x-build/. It seems that the issue has to do with the size of the packaged assets. When they reach over 1.5Gb this seems to prevent them loading. The developers are working with Unity but there isn't a timeframe for fixing it. If DFC hasn't already run up against this issue, it sounds like they might as the game grows.

#10 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 20:14

humm, interesting. Sounds like it is just a bug in unitys OSX code base. I take it that 1.5gb issue is for an individual or set of assets, and not necessarily the limit for whole project, cos that would really suck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users