• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 November 2014 - 23:28

About the languages, there is bound to be some overlap when you make up new words. There are so many people on earth, so many languages, and most ways of putting together syllables sounds kinda like something someone  understands. And sometimes the thing it sounds like will be insulting or derogatory - we're just too fond of those kind of words so there are a lot of them. But you really can't hold that against against a work of art.

I mean it already happens with the languages that exists, but due to the context you understand that it's not supposed to mean everything it may sound like. 

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#42 April_R.

April_R.

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationA lake

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:10

About the languages, there is bound to be some overlap when you make up new words. There are so many people on earth, so many languages, and most ways of putting together syllables sounds kinda like something someone  understands. And sometimes the thing it sounds like will be insulting or derogatory - we're just too fond of those kind of words so there are a lot of them. But you really can't hold that against against a work of art.

I mean it already happens with the languages that exists, but due to the context you understand that it's not supposed to mean everything it may sound like. 

It's being used in the context of a race of people who are being sent to concentration camps. I have no doubt that the choice was subconscious and entirely innocent, but the link definitely seems to be there. Maybe someone on the writing team read it in a novel or a news story or saw Everything is Illuminated at some point. It may become an issue if the game gains popularity in an Eastern European market. 

#43 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:42

It's being used in the context of a race of people who are being sent to concentration camps. I have no doubt that the choice was subconscious and entirely innocent, but the link definitely seems to be there. Maybe someone on the writing team read it in a novel or a news story or saw Everything is Illuminated at some point. It may become an issue if the game gains popularity in an Eastern European market. 

Nope. When we came up with this particular word NINE years ago, we found nothing to suggest this was a potentially controversial word in some countries. The word was chosen for how it sounds and how it relates to their language.

It's unfortunate that this word may suggest otherwise to some players, but it's hard to avoid this completely, without doing exhaustive Google searches for every word and name you conjure up. And we usually do this, but in some cases — almost a decade ago in this case — we didn't find anything.

• WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob, khh and 1 other like this

#44 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 23 November 2014 - 17:20

I think they more meant that the teaser trailer isn't ready yet because it's not supposed to come out until next week. Same with the patch.

Ah, I should have read the official tweets, there it kinda confirmed they're working othe "book 2 trailer". so yes. yay.

#45 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 17:47

of course, I have'nt read the description of the character... want to have a surprise.

But I don't mind knowing the names, even more don't mind because Hannah was pretty much certain to be there in book 2.

#46 MailMan

MailMan

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 01 December 2014 - 19:40

This reminds me of Frank Herbert's Dune books, which had a character named Farok. In Hungarian, 'farok' means d*ck. (No, not duck, deck or dock.) You simply can't avoid these things, not all the time.

• khh and Bruno like this

"Your rat catching skills will matter little in the grand scheme of things."

#47 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 December 2014 - 13:49

This reminds me of Frank Herbert's Dune books, which had a character named Farok. In Hungarian, 'farok' means d*ck. (No, not duck, deck or dock.) You simply can't avoid these things, not all the time.

What is a dack? :-/
  • khh likes this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#48 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 16:28

What is a dack? :-/

He obviously means a dæck.

• Bruno likes this

#49 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3557 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 02 December 2014 - 16:39

He refers to the dyck, a Dutch waterfowl.
  • WorldsReunited and Bruno like this

#50 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 December 2014 - 16:45

You guys are assuming it's a single character, but the glob commonly matches any string not terminated by a new line. So it may well be 'double check'.

• Indrid Cold, spyked and Bruno like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#51 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3557 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 02 December 2014 - 17:03

Or if its RegEx, then dck or just ck?

• spyked, Crowboy and Bruno like this

#52 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 17:04

Or if its RegEx, then dck or just ck?

Good point, it could be ddddddddddddddddddddddddddck as well.

• toremygg, Crowboy and Bruno like this

#53 spyked

spyked

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBucharest, Romania

Posted 02 December 2014 - 17:25

It's a "d\x69ck", of course.

#54 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 23:38

Interesting that the correct ASCII value in hex is 69 :)

• Mr_Russ likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spoilers, Kickstarter, update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users