#101 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 23:31

I'll take your word for it.

Oh, I checked my facts. And my retail version of the game. ;)

ACCEPTANCE OF END USER AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES AND/OR SERVICES REQUIRES AN EA ONLINE ACCOUNT AND REGISTRATION WITH THE ENCLOSED SERIAL CODE.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#102 Thandal

Thandal

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTerra Singularem

Posted 05 February 2014 - 17:09

Oh, I checked my facts. And my retail version of the game. ;)

Interestingly, ME3 does require an EA account and an internet connection to complete the installation/validation process.

Once the install is "authorized", one can play (single-player only, obviously) completely off-line.

#103 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 17:27

Clearly I need to go research GOG's license/TOS and see if I'm allowed to (legally) trade/sell my games.

No, you don't. Strictly online services usually do not provide such options because they don't really make sense. In principle, that's illegal in Germany. But guess what - neither Valve nor the gog.com guys can allow themselves to care. It pains me having lost that opportunity (of all the PC games I ever owned as a retail version, I must have resold about 75%), but I readily concede that in the digital age, these reselling rights are a bit anachronistic. The opportunities for abuse are just_plain_too_many.

Well, I couldn't help myself and checked anyway.  You are indeed right-- when you buy a game on GOG, those games are not allowed to be resold, traded, or given away to anyone else...just like Steam.  It seems like I've wasted my breath saying that Steam is DRM because you can't trade/sell your games.  Either that or GOG is also DRM.

There is still a distinction between Steam and GOG, of course:  the fact that Steam can remove your game from the Steam library any time it wants (preventing further downloads), and/or decide to take down their servers and move to the Bahamas, laughing at us all.  [Well, I guess GOG could do that too, though in theory we've already downloaded an installer.]

But for that handful of games on Steam that do not use the CEG component of Steamworks (run-time license checking) and can be zipped, copied, and moved without an installer (because Steam doesn't provide installers), then I have a hard time considering that DRM-- I'm sure others will disagree and I need to be enlightened.  It still requires an account with Steam (just like GOG) and installation of a client to download (unlike GOG), but a client downloader that validates that you bought the game doesn't in itself strike me as DRM.

Ready to turn in my gold star to the authorities.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#104 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 05 February 2014 - 17:37

There is still a distinction between Steam and GOG, of course

and you get the installer. That is a major factor. You are in no way reliant on a service to reinstall it, access it or otherwise. I guess you have to draw the line somewhere, and most ppl decide GoG isnt really managing your access rights after you download the game. Its not the same as steam where you basically paying a one off subscription to a game for the life time of steam. Or until valve says you cant have it anymore.

Not being able to resell the file is more down to the publisher/ip owners imposing restrictions.

#105 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 18:12

Yes, but as long as:

1) the dev doesn't use the CEG ("copy-protection") component of Steamworks, and

2) the game folder can be zipped, copied, moved, and installed on a non-Steam computer (as I've seen with a few games)

then that meets your "You are in no way reliant on a service to reinstall it, access it or otherwise" criteria.

At that point, Steam and GOG are equivalent, except that

1) you need to install the Steam client for the initial download (possibly annoying/immoral/etc, but not DRM), and

2) Steam can take away your right to re-download it (although again, as long as you've downloaded it once, you can re-install at will).

The latter is DRM, but I'm not sure why Valve would take your game away.  To me, that means it's possible for Steam to sell games that are "virtually" DRM-free.  Yes, if you buy one of these games, never download/install it (or have an HD crash), AND Valve decides it doesn't want you to have the game anymore and removes it from your library-- then you're caught in a DRM scenario that couldn't happen with GOG.  But that's a pretty minor edge condition, no?

Steam/Valve and GOG share the DRM-ish trait that either could go away and move to some Mediterranean island (oh wait, they're already there :) ) and you wouldn't be able to re-download.

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#106 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 05 February 2014 - 18:29

Being able to zip them up and move them isnt the same as getting the actual distribution package. Also im not sure if you would be breaking steams terms by doing so. That would be duplication.
It must certainly violate steams game support agreement. One of steams main jobs is that it agrees with publishers to distrubute and update/patch games, track game time etc.

#107 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 18:43

I agree that zipping and moving might not work for some games...it might create a save directory in your My Games folder, and of course it might register DLLs.

But if it does work, I'm not sure that it matters whether I zip/move/copy the game directory or I zip/move/run an installer.

As for breaking Steam's TOS, yes, that would be worth knowing.  If so, then you'd need the Steam client for any/all installations, not just the first.

#108 Mivey

Mivey

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 20:12

Being able to zip them up and move them isnt the same as getting the actual distribution package. Also im not sure if you would be breaking steams terms by doing so. That would be duplication.
It must certainly violate steams game support agreement. One of steams main jobs is that it agrees with publishers to distrubute and update/patch games, track game time etc.

You mean just copying the raw data, right? You can do that right now, right-click on any game in Steam and just select "Backup Game Files". Allows you to put everything in an external HDD, for example. Never used that myself though, no reason to.

#109 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 20:18

We mean copying the entire game, such that you can copy it to another machine and run it.

The game files you mention can only be restored when logged into the Steam client, online, at which time it validates your license.

You can't just install from your HDD.

#110 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7390 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:12

The DRM on the game is Dag Ragnar and Martin will bring you the game to your house personally! :P

The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users