#1 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 28 January 2014 - 22:23

Has there been much discussion internally within RTG about how the game is to be distributed? I know that with DF the SecuROM protection caused quite a few issues - to this day I can't get the game to run until I apply the patch that removes SecuROM.

I guess there's some assumption that the game will be distrubuted electronically via Steam or similar - the physical copies not withstanding. Has anything been decided on this front?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#2 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 January 2014 - 22:37

So this isn't an RTG answer, and I have no idea what they've been discussing internally. But anyway, here's what I do know:

I don't think we know (or I don't know, at least) if there will be Steam keys for pledgers. It has been greenlit on Steam though, so people will be able to buy it there. RTG also wants it on gog.com but I don't know how that works (it's on the gog.com wishlist with lots of votes, at least).

We've been promised DRM free, so we'll get that. Just not sure exactly what/how they will distribute it.

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#3 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 28 January 2014 - 23:03

Has there been much discussion internally within RTG about how the game is to be distributed? I know that with DF the SecuROM protection caused quite a few issues - to this day I can't get the game to run until I apply the patch that removes SecuROM.

DF used Starforce copy protection. As far as I know there will be no physical copy's of the game, other than the kickstarter rewards.

I guess there's some assumption that the game will be distrubuted electronically via Steam or similar - the physical copies not withstanding. Has anything been decided on this front?

We already know how it will be distributed. We know it will be on Steam, its already gone though green light.
DRM free versions will be available to download for kickstarter backers that qualify. There might be steam keys for backers, but dont hold your breath.

#4 Rexx

Rexx

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 28 January 2014 - 23:09

Backers will get a DRM-free version and/or a Steam key, but you will be able to choose anyway.  :)

See Ragnar's answer on a similar topic   http://www.theundrea...-pledgers/page2

• Tina likes this

#5 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 23:26

Backers will get a DRM-free version and/or a Steam key, but you will be able to choose anyway.  :)

See Ragnar's answer on a similar topic   http://www.theundrea...-pledgers/page2

They also said we would get t-shirts, forum badges, short story's and a map? I have none of them a year on.
*shrug* i'm not holding my breath on it.

#6 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 January 2014 - 23:31

Physical items and forum badges aren't really comparable to getting digital game distribution up and running smoothly when the game is finished. The latter would be a top priority, while the other things are not.

And hey, at least the t-shirts are in boxes now!

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#7 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 23:42

Physical items and forum badges aren't really comparable to getting digital game distribution up and running smoothly when the game is finished. The latter would be a top priority, while the other things are not.

And hey, at least the t-shirts are in boxes now!

We'll it going on steam, so they really don't have to do anything.
Hosting a server to distribute the DRM Free copy's to kickstarter backers isnt a major deal. and all stuff they dont have to sort out yet anyway. or at least not in the last year.

#8 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 00:23

I kinda figured it'd be on steam as that's the most likely distribution but I'm glad that it may also be on gog - it'd be my prefered choice if I have one :) Steam's nice an all - I have a lot of games on it - but it's not necessarily going to be around forever and if the authentication servers ever disappear (*cough* EA */cough*), then you're dead in the water.

And I stand corrected on the Starforce thing :) Had SecuROM stuck in my head

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#9 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 January 2014 - 13:25

This has probably, sort of, been answered, but we'll be on Steam and GOG and Humble Store and possibly a few other places, too. Steam has DRM, of course, but we'll be publishing the game DRM free wherever we can. No reason to make things difficult for anyone. The original Dreamfall was a nightmare. Worst copy protection ever. Never again!

• Tina, Teller, Edreamer Jamil and 8 others like this

#10 Kazoo

Kazoo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:16

Hah!  Ragnar almost doubled his 'likes' with that one post. ;)

"... so many things are possible, just as long as you don't know they're impossible."

-- The Phantom Tollbooth

#11 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:26

Hah!  Ragnar almost doubled his 'likes' with that one post. ;)

Hey, he listens to the people ;)

#12 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 January 2014 - 17:17

Hey, he listens to the people ;)

That is also one of the reasons for this new forum. The developers were unable to see normal threads in the last one as it drowned in deleted spam posts.
  • Nilaii and DiskJunky like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#13 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 17:21

Steam has DRM, of course, but we'll be publishing the game DRM free wherever we can. No reason to make things difficult for anyone.

The DRM aspect of Steam is an optional Steamworks component for developers-- implementing it is not required to distribute a game on Steam or to use other Steamworks components.  I've played several games without launching Steam.  You still need the Steam client to install the games in the first place, so I guess that's part of "making things difficult" as well.

[Edit: I should clarify-- the copy-protection aspect of Steam is optional.  However, any time you buy from Steam it's DRM in the strictest sense because you're buying a non-transferrable license to play the game, not the game itself.]

Edited by trentjaspar, 30 January 2014 - 19:52.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#14 Kazoo

Kazoo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 17:54

The DRM aspect of Steam is an optional Steamworks component for developers-- implementing it is not required to distribute a game on Steam or to use other Steamworks components.  I've played several games without launching Steam.  You still need the Steam client to install the games in the first place, so I guess that's part of "making things difficult" as well.

Are you saying that, once installed, I could zip up the directory and put it on another machine and be able to run it under a different steam account?  (No.. I have no intentions of that, but I'm trying to understand what happens with a Non-DRM Steam application.)

"... so many things are possible, just as long as you don't know they're impossible."

-- The Phantom Tollbooth

#15 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 18:21

Are you saying that, once installed, I could zip up the directory and put it on another machine and be able to run it under a different steam account?  (No.. I have no intentions of that, but I'm trying to understand what happens with a Non-DRM Steam application.)

TBH, my best guess is that it will depend on the game...I certainly wouldn't assume that all games that don't use the DRM component of SteamWorks are simply zip-n-play-anywhere.  For one thing, I don't know that the actual game installer is necessarily available on your HD when you install on Steam-- maybe certain DLLs won't get installed/registered if you just zip up and copy a game directory.

Further, I'm not sure that "run[ning] it under a different steam account" would actually be DRM-free, since it requires a Steam account and client.  I'm pretty sure the anti-Steam folks would say no.

But all that said, I did just zip up two (fairly small/simple) games, copy them to a computer without even the Steam client installed, and ran them perfectly.

I should also mention that, of course, if the game itself has any form of non-Steam DRM, then that will be enforced.

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#16 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 18:35

As an aside, to me, needing to create a Steam account and install the Steam client in order to install my games isn't a problem to me (even if it is DRM, and a lot of people don't like any trace of DRM and I can respect that).  To me, it's a reasonable way to protect their intellectual property, and the Steam client provides enough value-add IMO (updates, game organization, time tracking, Steam overlay, community, etc) that it's worth the install.  What is a problem to me is if a system requires authentication with a server every time you want to run the game, so if the Steam authentication server is down, you can't play.  Thank goodness for Steam's offline mode, even though I doubt it's always faultless and seamless, usually you can play a game off-line (unless the game itself requires a connection of course).  I know this doesn't protect me from the Steam Apocalypse when Valve decides it's a good business move no longer to license these games for us to play and I can no longer install my games and I'm SOL.  Then I'll have to fall back on my few disk-based games and the games I've bought from GOG. :)

#17 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 18:59

Kind of. There's a backup option for local content which you can restore onto another machine but in order to actually RUN the games on a new computer/account, you must have bought them against the steam account. In a nutshell, you can transport the files but Steam will still check to see if you're allowed to play them

#18 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 19:00

Then I'll have to fall back on my few disk-based games and the games I've bought from GOG. :)

Yup, that's why I've started buying games on Humble Bundle and GOG. No need to worry about the Steam apocalypse ;)

#19 Kazoo

Kazoo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 19:10

You can be DRM free and still require Steam.

DRM is designed to protect against piracy and copying.  No one would have issues with DRM is it always worked and never gave anyone issues or problems.  Requiring a support library is not DRM.

I understand many DRM-haters still think of that as DRM, but it really isn't.  It's like saying a game that requires Windows 8.1 to run is DRM protected because I can't play it on Windows 7.

-- The Phantom Tollbooth

#20 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 19:16

Kind of. There's a backup option for local content which you can restore onto another machine but in order to actually RUN the games on a new computer/account, you must have bought them against the steam account. In a nutshell, you can transport the files but Steam will still check to see if you're allowed to play them

Actually, in the cases I'm talking about-- games that don't use the DRM Steamworks component (not its formal name)-- Steam does not check to see if you've bought the game.  See my example above where I just zipped, copied, and unzipped.  I imagine that using the backup option for local content feature always validates that you own the game.

• aeonfluxx75 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users