22 replies to this topic

#1 Puggity

Puggity

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:39

Presently, 2,000 yuan is 326.56 U.S. dollars. Average inflation is about 3 percent annually, at least for the dollar. It seems a fairly reasonable prediction for the yuan, as well. The year 2220 is 206 years from now. Plugging numbers into this thing, it looks like:

Spoiler

But of course, it gets a little more complicated. One dollar may equal 6.12 yuan, but what does 6.12 yuan buy in China? Here's a handy site with a wealth (no pun intended) of information on cost of living around the world.

Right now, it lists a mid-range bottle of wine at $13.07 (converted to dollars). In the U.S., it lists the same at $12. So the yuan isn't quite as good at buying wine as the dollar, but it is very close.

Obviously it's impossible to really know what is going to happen in politics and central banking in the next 206 years. The yuan has replaced the euro, after all. ;) I was just curious about the maths. It would seem, however, that we are seeing almost no inflation and probably periods of deflation.

Spoiler

In my experience with haggling in markets (though I haven't had much and it's been many years) you might expect those "transient" prices to come down by 50%. Is that about right?

Spoiler

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 November 2014 - 22:12

Well, it's not plain old Yuan though. Baruti specifically states that he's loaded it with 2000 MiYuan - which is presumably different from the NuYuan Zoë mentions in her journal. We don't know if these conversion rates apply there.

• Puggity likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Idinyphe

Idinyphe

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 23:55

@Puggity

I think you are presuming that currency does never have any currency reforms.

It may be disturbing for you that money is not the "save" thing you may think, where everything is going on as "business as usual" over decades. If you look in history the chance to suffer from an monetary reform once in lifetime it is very high. The outcome of such a reform is uncertain.

So this "Yuan" may not be the Renminbi of our days. :)

• Mr Moo likes this

Unfortunately that's the story of revenge. It's messy. Never really works out the way you want it to.

#4 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:08

@khh

is MiYuan like... the bitcoin side, and NuYuan is the New paper money?

because what i get from baruti's talk is that, the chinese market don't accept credit cards but they accept encrypted money. (i might be very wrong. i sort of speedplay my 1st playthrough)

#5 Puggity

Puggity

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:01

@Puggity

I think you are presuming that currency does never have any currency reforms.

It may be disturbing for you that money is not the "save" thing you may think, where everything is going on as "business as usual" over decades. If you look in history the chance to suffer from an monetary reform once in lifetime it is very high. The outcome of such a reform is uncertain.

So this "Yuan" may not be the Renminbi of our days. :)

You sound awfully condescending and pleased with yourself for someone who didn't finish reading my post.

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:11

@khh is MiYuan like... the bitcoin side, and NuYuan is the New paper money?

because what i get from baruti's talk is that, the chinese market don't accept credit cards but they accept encrypted money. (i might be very wrong. i sort of speedplay my 1st playthrough)

That was definitively the vibe I got, yeah (except that all money is probably paperless by that time - it's almost phased out already here). But we don't really have any compelling proof of it being so.

April Ryan is my friend,

#7 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:11

The NuYuan may be the currency introduced by the corporations, when they bailed out and basically took over the world's governments?

#8 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3558 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:14

I'd suppose that after China took over the domination of world economics, the Yuan became the de facto common currency. If the NuYuan and possible de/revaluation came with the corpos or not, is something I think we have to leave to RagDag. ;)

#9 Idinyphe

Idinyphe

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:19

@Puggity

Maybe that is an effect of bad translation from my side. I just pick the words out of the translator that may fit :)

This is a problem of my english as there are words with a meaning that is somewhat correct but does not really fit to words a native speaker would have used to not sound arrogant.

I agree with most posters here that this was not an effect of "politics or central banking" but of trusts and companys. But I do not agree with "toremygg" as we do not know if this new "Yuan" is the common currency. Maybe the normal currency for the people in Europolis is still Euro... but they do not use cash anymore and currency calculation is fully automated. We don't know... Maybe there are a lot of different currencys around for different things. In the chinese market you have to pay with those Yuan.

Unfortunately that's the story of revenge. It's messy. Never really works out the way you want it to.

#10 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 15:04

I'd suppose that after China took over the domination of world economics, the Yuan became the de facto common currency. If the NuYuan and possible de/revaluation came with the corpos or not, is something I think we have to leave to RagDag. ;)

I always considered the use of the Yuan odd in the game of Dreamfall, simply because I am given the impression that the truly prosperous area of the world is Africa and all other areas,including China are in an economic and social upheaval. Since Africa has the most stable economies, you'd think the currency of the country in Africa whose economy is the strongest would use be used internationally, it would be the most trustworthy. Obviously there are reasons why the Yuan came to dominate and  I get the impression he had something to do with the collapse.

• Mr Moo likes this

#11 Tarquinius

Tarquinius

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationBruges, Belgium

Posted 12 November 2014 - 16:08

It's all very unrealistic anyway. There's no reason to think the Euro wouldn't survive another 200 years... Har har.

• toremygg and Dmm like this

#12 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 November 2014 - 17:01

I always considered the use of the Yuan odd in the game of Dreamfall, simply because I am given the impression that the truly prosperous area of the world is Africa and all other areas,including China are in an economic and social upheaval. Since Africa has the most stable economies, you'd think the currency of the country in Africa whose economy is the strongest would use be used internationally, it would be the most trustworthy. Obviously there are reasons why the Yuan came to dominate and  I get the impression he had something to do with the collapse.

I wouldn't be so sure that Yuan is used globally - dollars were still the currency of America in TLJ. It might just imply tight trade between China and Europe.

April Ryan is my friend,

#13 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 21:43

I wouldn't be so sure that Yuan is used globally - dollars were still the currency of America in TLJ. It might just imply tight trade between China and Europe.

This is from the TLJwiki:

The base unit of Chinese currency. In Dreamfall it appears to have become the dominant currency in Africa and the US, as Jama Mbaye describes the activities of the EYE are often focused around the Yuan, and Zoe's proposed payment to Marcus was in the currency.

This is a departure from TLJ, where the US currency was the dollar.

#14 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:31

In reference to Puggity's initial post, did anyone else try and obtain a Receipt, or was I the only one?

#15 Tarquinius

Tarquinius

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 13:49

In reference to Puggity's initial post, did anyone else try and obtain a Receipt, or was I the only one?

In my case, it was more the realization that "oh shit, I didn't get a receipt. This will affect me in the future somehow". Choices and consequences, man!

#16 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3558 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 13 November 2014 - 13:57

But was there a choice in this case?

#17 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 14:03

In my case, it was more the realization that "oh shit, I didn't get a receipt. This will affect me in the future somehow". Choices and consequences, man!

I didn't even realise! Or if I did, I forgot. However I don't remember seeing that "choice" listed at the end...

Apparently so, if somebody did. Maybe you have to speak to the merchant again?

#18 Tarquinius

Tarquinius

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 14:04

Nope. I still really need that receipt, though.

#19 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 14:09

Oh, I misread this. Missed the "try" part.

I think I did remember while playing, and couldn't.

#20 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 November 2014 - 14:19

You can't get a receipt even if you try talking to the merchant again. So if there is a consequence, then it wasn't by choice. ;)

• toremygg likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yuan, baijiu, wine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users