#1 Reeger

Reeger

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:02

So we have two hints that Propast may be not quite what it seems:

1. The devs have stated it's supposed to look dream-like (emphasis theirs, not mine)

2. People on the street tell you to "Wake up" or "Stop dreaming"

Combine that with the "mystery towers" spread all around, and I'm thinking something strange is going on here. What if those towers are spreading some kind of hallucinogenic drug that is causing people to see a different version of the city? What if the REAL Propast is actually a hellish, nightmarish place because of the prolonged damage caused by the Dreamers (dreams moving from Stark to Arcadia but not vice versa)?

Anyway, just a thought :)

• agirlnamedbob, Dmm, Constanse and 1 other like this

#2 grantprobst

grantprobst

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:35

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"

It is a theme in Dreamfall.

• agirlnamedbob and aeonfluxx75 like this

#3 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 November 2014 - 15:17

"They have no idea what Dreamachine is really for and what is doing to the world. They don't know hat someone is stealing their dreams and use them to reshape reality"

• Constanse likes this

#4 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 16:32

The mystery towers seem to be a parallel to the mystery machines in Marcuria. Are they connected in someway or do they serve quite different purposes?

• Valiah, Constanse and aeonfluxx75 like this

#5 Reeger

Reeger

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 17:02

Nice! I did not think of that.

It is mentioned several times throughout Dreamfall that nobody really understands what the steam machines are FOR, except making a lot of noise.

We already know the Azadi and their tower are involved in the stealing of dreams, so this makes sense.

#6 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 November 2014 - 18:24

If i understand correctly:

1. Dreamachines stole people's dreams and send them to Eingana.

2. Eingana send the dreams to Dream Chamber.

3. Tower harvest dreams.

#7 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 18:35

At some point the towers are going to vomit millions of tons of Skittles into the air, completely burying the city.

• Edreamer Jamil and Riaise like this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#8 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 November 2014 - 18:44

So maybe mystery towers in Europolis and steam machines in Marcuria "load" harvested dreams from Tower?

#9 Constanse

Constanse

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationArendal

Posted 09 November 2014 - 19:59

Ooooo, I like this theory! I was intrigued by the "Is Zoë dreaming" theory, but not quite convinced. This though, I like!

- Tina the OWCUWNCIWC  -

Can I help you? I'm at your cervix!

#10 Tiago

Tiago

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:59

Apparently someone who speaks Arabic caught this reference:

Souk is the arab market across Lea Umińska's campaign headquarters. Here is the text I think the tweet is talking about (click to zoom):

Attached File  Captura de tela de 2014-11-09 22:13:19.png   772.55KB   11 downloads Attached File  Captura de tela de 2014-11-09 22:11:56.png   837.09KB   11 downloads

Since I do not know Arabic, I cannot confirm it. Anyways, here is Google's translation for "Zoë wake up":
زوي استيقظ

The smaller word to the right looks to be the transliteration of Zoë, and I think that I found it a couple of times of the text. The other word is harder, but one cannot rely too much on Google Translator. Maybe someone here could verify if the text on the screen does say "Zoë wake up"?

If this is correct, it can be one more hint that Zoë is dreaming.

My theory is that Propast is mostly real, but Zoë isn't actually there. I think that she is physically dreaming herself into Stark, in the same way that she dreamed herself into Arcadia in Dreamfall.

• Guyra and MisterMetropolis like this

نDo4gzZF.png

#11 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:19

I've been wondering myself if Zoe isn't dreaming herself into Stark from her coma or the Storytime or what have you. I know we tossed that theory around a bit after the Kickstarter when we were discussing how she might wake up from her coma. 

It'd be nice if anyone else can confirm that's what the writing says. 

Hmm... I originally wasn't sure what to make of the "Zoe's not actually awake" theory. If she is dreaming, I hope she figures that out sooner rather than later. I trust RTG, but I'm normally not big on that sort of "twist" surprise at the end. Or at least most of the time I see it done badly. 

But I'm not sure if RTG would be throwing this many hints about it out this early in the game if it wasn't going to become apparent pretty quickly. 

I need to ponder this. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#12 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:41

There's also this possible conversation path with Queenie.

Quieenie: No matter. Zoë… Castillo, was it? Do you know what that name means in Spanish? Castle. Fortress. And Zoë is Greek, and means life. Are you alive?

Zoë: What?

Queenie: Your eyes. It's like part of you is asleep or… Dreaming.

Zoë: I was sick. In a coma.

Queenie: Yes. That would explain it.

Though I don't really think there are a lot of hints. Remember that we've crowd-sourced the discovering of information, and that we've had weeks to think about it. These hints may be designed for the regular people who aren't on the forums and don't spend half their waking life in the TLJ universe

• agirlnamedbob, MisterMetropolis, Tiago and 2 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#13 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:45

These hints may be designed for the regular people who aren't on the forums and don't spend half their waking life in the TLJ universe

I don't... I'm sorry, I don't understand.  :huh:

:P

In all seriousness, though, you're probably right. Though I'm standing by my statement that I hope we figure out what's up with that sooner rather than later. 

Granted, I guess the "It was all a dream" plotline is a little different when you can project yourself into your dreams and actually, you know...do things. Have an impact. Have it be real. 

#14 Eveolene

Eveolene

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:47

I really don't buy Propast actually being a dream. The people you bump into saying "Wake up" and "Stop dreaming" could be saying it simply because it's a) an expression, b ) they live in a world where everyone is addicted to dreams and c) it's symbolic, like the "faith" repetitions in Dreamfall.

But Zoë is a Dreamer, so part of her is permanently linked to Storytime. She is essentially always partially dreaming.

The screens saying "Wake up, Zoë" in Arabic are neat easter eggs, but I wouldn't take them too literally. Given the screens in Roman's office and what they say, I'm not quite willing to believe they're really significant yet.

• agirlnamedbob, aeonfluxx75, Tracido and 1 other like this

"This story, like all good stories, begins where it ends, in a tower, in a realm that is no more." - Lady Alvane

"I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and fulfilled to follow you to the next stop on our pointless, depressing journey." - Shitbot

Dreamfall Chapters Transcript | Twitch Stream

#15 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:56

Oh ye of little faith. I'm sure we'll find out that "placeholder text" is actually a super important story-related massive clue, and we'll be kicking ourselves for not understanding it. 

• WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob, Guyra and 5 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#16 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:02

It could also be that they mean "Wake Up" in a figurative sense, rather than a literal one. Because "REMEMBER!" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, or the connection to her Dreamer self. 

I think the thing is that on their own, any one of these things wouldn't necessarily be much. But these little things keep compounding. Or...they seem to because we're crazy forum people and are mining every single scrap out of Book One, significance be damned. 

Oh ye of little faith. I'm sure we'll find out that "placeholder text" is actually a super important story-related massive clue, and we'll be kicking ourselves for not understanding it. 

Lorem Ipsum is the Prophet. 

• WorldsReunited, khh, Valiah and 2 others like this

#17 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:19

Hm. I thought people said "Wake up" when I walked into them (as in "Stop sleepwalking and see where you're going, you fool!") but maybe there's a point in all this.

#18 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:46

As for the arabic thing, a facebook guy has confirmed this as well, according to maDSaint in the "questions and theories" thread.

Quote here

Spoiler

• agirlnamedbob, MisterMetropolis, Babel-17 and 3 others like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#19 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:35

I just remembered that in Storytime Zoe says she can't influence things in the real world, only what is mirrored in Storytime (please don't nail me on this one, I'm aweful at quoting atm). So if the "wake up calls" really refer to asking her to remember what really happened and so on, who is sending the messages and how???

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#20 Tarquinius

Tarquinius

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationBruges, Belgium

Posted 10 November 2014 - 15:57

It could also be that they mean "Wake Up" in a figurative sense, rather than a literal one. Because "REMEMBER!" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, or the connection to her Dreamer self. 

That's how I interpreted it. Although why random people on the street would tell you that isn't so clear. They might've been saved by Zoë in Storytime, but even then how would they know?

I was also thinking that maybe the towers in Europolis are dormant, waiting to be used at the right time. But then, they're already releasing something into the air, so maybe not. Or it might just be in a preparatory phase. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users