Vyse

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 March 2015 - 22:03

Proper PS3 Controller support on Macs.

The game is advertised on steam as featuring full controller support but on Mac there is not a single one that seems to work out of the box! I do not know how many players on Mac play with a PS3 controller (I'd assume it is quite a few since OSX ships with built in drivers for it) but this should be a rather easy fix! Some Inputs already seem to work, the Unity Engine is capable of exporting to PS3 and other consoles and probably has sample code for this built in and pretty much every indie game I have tried (FEZ, Mark of the Ninja, Super Meat Boy, etc.) works with it out of the box. Hell, there are even tools like "Controllers Lite" on the Appstore that recognize every single button one pushes. This is not a shooter that requires 1000% perfect aiming. I simply cannot believe that this is a hard task that would take an experienced dev more than an hour to implement.

#62 gamergirl

gamergirl

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 20:25

i would appericate an option for a fixed camera, which shows the character always from the back. oh please, that would be perfect! 

• Morten likes this

#63 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:57

i would appericate an option for a fixed camera, which shows the character always from the back. oh please, that would be perfect! 

Though I see why someone would appreciate functionality like this, I'm pretty sure it won't happen unfortunately.

The reason is that there are many objects in the game that requires manual rotation of the camera to interact with. So adding something like this would mean rejiggering of a large amount of gameplay, assets and functionality.

It is very rare that a game either changes or offers alternate functionality in such a core feature. DFC is designed around this core functionality of being able to rotate the camera manually (to discover objects etc.), so I would not expect something like this to be implemented, unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Keep it coming! You guys are a great resource of feedback and suggestions. :)

• Vainamoinen and Crowboy like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#64 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:12

Though I see why someone would appreciate functionality like this, I'm pretty sure it won't happen unfortunately.

The reason is that there are many objects in the game that requires manual rotation of the camera to interact with. So adding something like this would mean rejiggering of a large amount of gameplay, assets and functionality.

It is very rare that a game either changes or offers alternate functionality in such a core feature. DFC is designed around this core functionality of being able to rotate the camera manually (to discover objects etc.), so I would not expect something like this to be implemented, unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Keep it coming! You guys are a great resource of feedback and suggestions. :)

In defense of gamergirl 's request, it's based on Accessibility Issues she has been experiencing - see this thread

due to a disabillity i'm forced to use a on-screen keyboard. :( my biggest problem is the invisible mouse.

wait, here's the link: http://www.assistive...duct/keystrokes

for example, when i click and hold W i would be able to control the character. but, of course, i need to see and move the mouse, without changing the camera. 

i can only use my left thumb to control the computer.

Whilst your response fairly answers why the specific request could not be granted, is there some other workaround perhaps that could help her here ?

• Morten and gamergirl like this

#65 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:14

Sure, there might be something we can do in the future with perhaps enabling some of the currently "locked" keybindings that makes it possible to reconfigure what controls cameras, or maybe something else.

A mouse with several available keys (like mentioned in the thread linked) might be a solution to be able to bind other actions, not currently controlled by the mouse, to the mouse (goals, journal, etc. as mentioned).

There might also be features that we plan to implement on other platforms that we could maybe consider adding for the PC version as well. One such thing may be something along the lines of auto-pathing to a place clicked. I.e.: Click on a building -> the character will walk there (closest available position relative to point clicked) automatically.

As of now, I cannot go further into how these features would work on a PC/with a mouse.

However, I can't promise anything at this point, and as I mentioned previously; I don't think we'll consider changing core functionality to a point where we would have to rethink a lot of how the game is played or how different features interact with one another. It would have to be something that is fairly easy to implement and that compliments the currently working features/functionality.

I'll try to keep this in the back of my head, and I'd encourage anyone with any ideas or tips on how we can support stuff like this, or other things of course, to post them. We're always looking for good feedback and ideas on how to improve the game and make it more accessible! :)

• Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen and gamergirl like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#66 gamergirl

gamergirl

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:23

hey morten, thanks for your answer! it's nice to see that the RTG developers are constantly communicating with the fandom.  :)

DFC is such an awesome game and i love playing it, but the camera is a huge hurdle for me and I'm sure many other people with physical disabillities feel the same. i understand that it's important to explore every single inch of stark and arcadia. i love that, too! my suggestion would be a camera which isn't constantly connected to the cursor, like in many MMOs. 

here's a example how i imagine it: i press ctrl and click and drag to rotate the camera. by this way i can find a good perspective. if i don't hold ctrl, the camera just follows the back of my character. of course, this feature should be optional. 

it's just an idea, but it would help me to control the game with an on screen keyboard. 

i'm very happy about the fact that you take my problems serious and might be able to solve the issues, because gamers with disabillities are often ignored. thank you! 

• Morten likes this

#67 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 June 2015 - 17:49

hey morten, thanks for your answer! it's nice to see that the RTG developers are constantly communicating with the fandom.  :)

DFC is such an awesome game and i love playing it, but the camera is a huge hurdle for me and I'm sure many other people with physical disabillities feel the same. i understand that it's important to explore every single inch of stark and arcadia. i love that, too! my suggestion would be a camera which isn't constantly connected to the cursor, like in many MMOs. 

here's a example how i imagine it: i press ctrl and click and drag to rotate the camera. by this way i can find a good perspective. if i don't hold ctrl, the camera just follows the back of my character. of course, this feature should be optional. 

it's just an idea, but it would help me to control the game with an on screen keyboard. 

i'm very happy about the fact that you take my problems serious and might be able to solve the issues, because gamers with disabillities are often ignored. thank you! 

That's a good suggestion that wouldn't require a lot of reconfiguring!

Really nice to get an example directly from you, as you know best what would work for you. :)

Adding this as a toggleable (is that a word, even? :/) option would be really easy. As I can't make any decisions like this personally, I will have to bring it up for discussion within the team.

I'll make sure to bring it up tomorrow to see what the others think.

Personally I think it's a good idea with minimal overhead and code to be written to make it work. We'll see what can be done, but I cannot give any estimates at this point. We're all pretty busy, and the biggest priority right now is to add only what's needed to get the next part of the game out. Will get back with more when I have any updates. :)

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen and 4 others like this

#68 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2724 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 June 2015 - 18:23

We're all pretty busy, and the biggest priority right now is to add only what's needed to get the next part of the game out. Will get back with more when I have any updates. :)

Are you still testing anfd fixing bugs in Book Three?

#69 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 June 2015 - 18:31

Yes. Testing, testing some more, and then a little more testing. ;)

And maybe fix a thing or two here and there.

Reminder to self: Do not make a game with a gazillion different choices, consequences based on multiple choices and insanely deep story-branching ever again. :P

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited and 7 others like this

#70 gamergirl

gamergirl

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 21:58

That's a good suggestion that wouldn't require a lot of reconfiguring!

Really nice to get an example directly from you, as you know best what would work for you. :)

Adding this as a toggleable (is that a word, even? :/) option would be really easy. As I can't make any decisions like this personally, I will have to bring it up for discussion within the team.

I'll make sure to bring it up tomorrow to see what the others think.

Personally I think it's a good idea with minimal overhead and code to be written to make it work. We'll see what can be done, but I cannot give any estimates at this point. We're all pretty busy, and the biggest priority right now is to add only what's needed to get the next part of the game out. Will get back with more when I have any updates. :)

great to hear that my suggestion would be possible!  :) to be honest, i have absolutely no idea how to develop a game and therefore i don't know what can be changed. 

i understand that your first priority at the moment is the release of chapter three, but i'm confident that your co-workers will agree to the need of more accessibility in the future. 

thank you for doing your best!  :)

• Morten, Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited and 1 other like this

#71 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3056 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:16

I played for the first time with mouse "only", and I have a couple of things to note:

1. I saw that middle-clicking isn't used for anything. Could it open the inventory? In that case it would be easier to not use the keyboard (unless you need journal or goals, which aren't really necessary). Unless that breaks anything else, like gamergirl's suggestion above.
  2. While holding down both buttons to run, if you let go of the right button before the left one (which usually happened with me when I tried to release both at once, just the way my fingers move I guess) it registered as a left click on whatever was being targeted at the moment. I think that doesn't work well, as all I had planned on doing was stop.

• Crowboy likes this

#72 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7078 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 June 2015 - 13:21

I have two things.

I would like for the goals and journal icons to only blink a few times before they go away again. As it is they don't stop blinking until you've opened the goals or journal, but most of the time I don't need to see what's been updated.

And it would be nice with a toggle for whether the character should walk by default or run by default.

• Riaise likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#73 Vincy85

Vincy85

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRignano Flaminio(RM)

Posted 30 June 2015 - 14:13

1) Italian Subtitles of course

2) April or know if she died or not

3) See Banda, Alatian and Maerum in Ge'en in Book 4 

4) Free roam gameplay as GTA Game(maybe impossibile)

#74 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 15:55

While holding down both buttons to run, if you let go of the right button before the left one (which usually happened with me when I tried to release both at once, just the way my fingers move I guess) it registered as a left click on whatever was being targeted at the moment. I think that doesn't work well, as all I had planned on doing was stop.

That was annoying as hell.

I have no patience for slow walking, so I run everywhere. Some quests had trouble with it since that caused a click I didn't intend, or worse, I lost some dialog due to unwanted click. I had to revert to keyboard + mouse which is much less convenient.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: patch, wishlist, 1.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users