Photo

Making sense of Roper Klacks' defeat (TLJ spoiler)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3101 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:41

This must have been done to death, but I really can't remember.

Is there an official or easily deducible explanation for why Roper Klacks was absorbed by the calculator? This has always bothered me.

It can't be "magic user touching technology" because the cups handler should have been absorbed as well. Perhaps Klacks tried to use magic ON the calculator but that still doesn't explain anything.

To be clear, I'm not looking for theories. I'm asking if there's something I've missed that clearly explains it, such as Tobias having said "By the way, combining magic and science is a really bad idea with unpredicted results, make sure you never ever do it, ever" (which I'm quite sure he never does) or somebody who worked on TLJ (Ragnar or anyone else) having explained it, even using information that's not in the game itself.

#2 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:47

Wrong answer for 49x11 and 603/3 challenges. Klacks made mistake, lost challenge and was defeated.

• Veen Friend and April_R. like this

#3 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 721 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:48

I think one theory was along the lines of Klacks being WAY more chaotic.

If I were a massive troll, I would say it was all explained in DF. :troll:

#4 Tiago

Tiago

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Posted 07 November 2014 - 14:52

I think that the whole "confrontation" against Klacks was played for laughs, it is not the sort of stuff that was supposed to make sense.

• toremygg, thelj, aeonfluxx75 and 1 other like this

نDo4gzZF.png

#5 April_R.

April_R.

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationA lake

Posted 08 November 2014 - 00:53

A calculator is very strong in science/logic. Klacks was very strong in magic/chaos. Klacks got really, really, really into that calculator. When strong science and strong magic strongly interact, unpredictable things happen. 

• Veen Friend likes this

#6 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:30

A calculator is very strong in science/logic. Klacks was very strong in magic/chaos. Klacks got really, really, really into that calculator. When strong science and strong magic strongly interact, unpredictable things happen. 

I agree. Klacks would use magic on math also, and think there is no match for magic. A bit naive, and that let's one think of what the man is depended on. Klacks has a personal faith/conviction.

A bit off-topic: Many would think it's normal to believe in evolution. But this is a personal faith/conviction and a choice and unfortunately it's not a fact. Then you can deside if you wan't to debate it or not. And then magic can come into play for some! This is just a fun thought, nothing else.  :)

#7 br305893

br305893

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationFairfield, CT, USA

Posted 08 November 2014 - 20:19

This was my theory also.

#8 Retodon8

Retodon8

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:35

I'm with the mixing science with magic producing unexpected results idea. It's not explained well at all by the game in my opinion, I had no idea what was happening, and why, when I first saw it. :)

A bit off-topic: Many would think it's normal to believe in evolution. But this is a personal faith/conviction and a choice and unfortunately it's not a fact.

Are you saying evolution is not a fact, because it is. I've seen people claim it's controversial among scientists, but that's simply not true. Scientist disagree about some of the specifics, but there is no question about whether or not it exists. Due to the overwhelming evidence there's no faith required. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users