• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 00:24

When playing the game on my laptop I can't use my touchpad or trackpoint. The view moves and then quickly moves back to center after I lift my finger. The odd thing is this only occurs during gameplay and the menu area seems unaffected. I tried changing the settings without any luck. I am running the latest patch from steam. What information do you need from me to debug this further? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I am running a Thinkpad W530 and the problem is with the built-in UltraNav (trackpoint+trackpad) input device. 

#2 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 17:00

Have you tried making sure the trackpad drivers are latest from the manufacturer website?

#3 Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 22:20

Just checked. I am running the latest. Again the touchpad works for the DFC menu but not for in-game play

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 November 2014 - 14:20

Just to chime in on this:

This might be due to the functionality of "hiding" the cursor when in gameplay-mode. When hiding the cursor in Unity, the engine will also reset it's position to the center of the screen (explained here if that's of any interest).

It should behave like you explained, but I guess it's an edge-case that will occur on some touchpads. The same functionality is running when using an actual mouse, but apparently there's a slight difference in how the cursor is used on a touchpad vs. a mouse. 

With regards to the trackpoint/pointing stick specifically, it might be that since it actually re-centers itself when you let go of it, that axis-movement is sent to and read by the game. If so, there's not much to do about it unfortunately.

Thanks for reporting the issue. We'll look into it. :)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 18:05

Thank you for the informative reply. Is there any debug information I can give you to ensure this is indeed the issue? I found a thread on the Unity site with a similar issue http://issuetracker....put-dot-getaxis and It looks like this may have been fixed in the following Unity patch http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-patch-releases.246198/#post-1685804 

#6 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:45

Nice, thanks for the info.

I don't yet know if the issue described in the link you pasted is related to your problem. If so we would probably see it elsewhere, but I'll definitely make sure that I'm not wrong about that.

However, we've been using a later patch version of Unity than the one you linked even since the game launched, so if the issue was fixed earlier and was related to the issue in the tracker, we would probably not see it.

I'll make totally sure, though. ;) Thanks for the report!

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#7 Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 16:38

It looks like this issue was not fixed in Unity Engine. A person identified it as still an issue with the latest bits (4.5.5f1) yesterday. 

• Morten likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: touchpad, linux, cursor, thinkpad, laptop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users