#61 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:51

I.. Um yeah. I knew there was a facebook post linking to an article about it (I think that's the only evidence though). And I haven't shared it, on purpose. I have a feeling it was posted by not-Ragnar and I hope it is not the reason why they parted ways with the community manager..

They never retracted it, so I have always treated it as it stands.
Largely irreverent now of course.

Would be interesting to know what performance is like currently on that ps4 cpu I must say.

#62 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:48

I keep wondering if there are trigger element choices that RTG have made that mean there are hidden elements taking up processor power for no reason. But I'm not a programmer. :P

#63 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:50

I'm not sure I understand you post, but even if there were some "hidden" (?) elements then they would be visible on the CPU usage graph.

#64 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:56

But the CPU is being maxed out in some cases, for no apparent reason? What I'm, in my small mind, thinking, is that there are non-visible elements that should not affect calculations because they only trigger on movement of items (Zoë/Kian/Saga) across them, but are still considered for light processing reasons and thus taking up power unnecessary.

Yeah, I'll stop now. Too clear, even to me, that I don't know what I'm talking about. :P

#65 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 12 November 2014 - 20:41

tore:, your basically talking about occlusion culling (http://docs.unity3d....ionCulling.html) and I think its been brought up before. Thats one of the major speed improvements implemented in 1.1 (and 1.1.1), also stopping the actions off things of screen.

But why it still runs like a dog for some people in the workshop is maybe more of a mystery. Thats a separate map thats loaded in, and is only a small area.

• toremygg and Mr Moo like this

#66 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 21:58

But why it still runs like a dog for some people in the workshop is maybe more of a mystery. Thats a separate map thats loaded in, and is only a small area.

Yes. From the complaints one would suspect that the workshop has a ton of elements in it, but there don't appear to be that many from what a player can see. It's a bit of a mystery. But then, video game engine optimisation is black art anyway.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#67 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 12 November 2014 - 22:24

But what about the well-DING?

#68 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 13 November 2014 - 00:30

This seems to be the relevant part of Morten's post -

how many different textures are drawn here

#69 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:36

Textures certainly could affect performance.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#70 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:28

Yeah, but then it should be related to the VRAM and RAM sizes, which I don't think we've seen.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#71 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:38

Yes. From the complaints one would suspect that the workshop has a ton of elements in it, but there don't appear to be that many from what a player can see. It's a bit of a mystery. But then, video game engine optimisation is black art anyway.

Hmm, so Pandemonium still has severe frame rate issues, interesting, maybe I should hop in and test FPS, I was waiting till 1.2 at this point...Yep still has frame rate issues in there, odd.  I mean I still get minor bits of what I was getting, it's noticeable as it was previously dropping to 24FPS (on my system) and playable but, it shouldn't do that.

Ah, very strange, it's hitting 55+FPS but dips to 37FPS (right by the fridge above the silent one ;) ), it is not as bad, at least for me.  It's improving, that's certainly noticeable, I have the figures here now, just needed to be sure.  I think I'm more confused as to what would cause the frame drops in such a small space...

#72 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:59

On my computer I get the expected performance in Pandemonium - that is to say the same as I get in other rooms of the same size.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users