#41 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 11 November 2014 - 13:14

Lee-m, as things stand, you don't get 30 fps in Mira's garage with 1.1.1 + 8 core AMD + 2 cards in SLI. There's still some room for improvement.

• Lee-m likes this

#42 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 11 November 2014 - 20:38

Lee-m, as things stand, you don't get 30 fps in Mira's garage with 1.1.1 + 8 core AMD + 2 cards in SLI. There's still some room for improvement.

i'm not surprised, I think as I have stated before. I wouldn't hold out hopes any of that stuff will be supported on the pc version.

That 8 core AMD cpu has really bad single thread performance, and each core is pretty weak.

Since DFC is only going to make use of 2 or 3 cores at a push, I wouldn't expect improvements any time soon. Thats the gamble you take when buying a cpu like that. Its more suited to CoD and Battlefield AAA type games, where they have a whole team of programmers working none stop to break the whole game down in to separate threads. And I can tell you, that is a very complex, and hugely time consuming task.

However having just said all that, this would seem to be at odds with releasing a PS4 (or even xbone one) version. As they both have REALLY poor 8 core cpus (far worse than the 8350 for example) and I think only 6 of them cores are really usable for running a game anyway. So at least for the ps4 version they will have to do something about it. Your guess is as good as mine if that work will also benefit the pc version.

• Tracido likes this

#43 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 November 2014 - 20:43

However having just said all that, this would seem to be at odds with releasing a PS4 (or even xbone one) version. As they both have REALLY poor 8 core cpus (far worse than the 8350 for example) and I think only 6 of them cores are really usable for running a game anyway. So at least for the ps4 version they will have to do something about it. Your guess is as good as mine if that work will also benefit the pc version.

Presumably the people programming the unity engine are aware of this limitation, though. If they say their engine supports those platforms, I guess we'll just have to trust them.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#44 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 20:57

Presumably the people programming the unity engine are aware of this limitation, though. If they say their engine supports those platforms, I guess we'll just have to trust them.

or they could just cancel the ps4 version :)

#45 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:01

or they could just cancel the ps4 version :)

That's not going to happen. They have a deal with Sony, so...yeah. 

And even taking that aside, cancelling it after announcing it wouldn't be a good thing for them as a company. So sorry, but I have to take serious objection to your smiley face. 

• Lee-m likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#46 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:08

That's not going to happen. They have a deal with Sony, so...yeah. 

And even taking that aside, cancelling it after announcing it wouldn't be a good thing for them as a company. So sorry, but I have to take serious objection to your smiley face. 

The wii u version got shelved about a year after that was announced, so im gonna use a smiley face anyway like it or not :) heh

Are there any examples of an ambitious 3d game on the ps4 using unity ? I guess that would tell you allot about how DFC would perform, and what the scope is for better multi core support.

#47 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:16

The Wii-U version was never officially announced. They got a dev kit and they looked into it, but they never made an official "we are definitely doing this" announcement, despite what people are trying to say. Every time they were asked about it, all they said was it was something they'd like to do if possible and that they were looking into it. Which is also what they said about XBox and Playstation. Sony were the ones they ultimately went with (at least for now) for a variety of reasons. 

Sorry if I sound bitchy, I'm just getting frustrated with some of the misinformation that's been going around Re: The Wii-U. 

As far as PS4 games that use Unity, I'm not entirely sure. I rarely pay attention to what engine various games use. I'd google it, but I don't have the time right now to sort out useful info from AC: Unity kerfuffle. 

#48 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:26

The Wii-U version was never officially announced

https://www.facebook...495723240509125

At the time I took that to be an announcement. RTGs offical facebook chan and a big magazine (edge) and nintendo news, along with the words 'confirmed' and 'wii u'.

I don't intend to go over old, none relevant ground on that one, but I wouldn't say anything I have said is 'misinformation'. Clearly i'm glad its gone, or at least until after the 5 book PC run is over.

#49 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:35

I have to agree Lee-m, that does sound pretty official, given that it's on the RTG FB page.

• Lee-m likes this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#50 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:37

I missed that Facebook post. I suppose that might explain a few things. (Though I'm curious to see what the actual text of the article says. However, it's been taken offline.)

I'm just going off of what RTG has said elsewhere (Twitter, here) and also what Ragnar said the last time the Wii-U thing was brought up on the forum

#51 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:44

I believe they freely admitted it was handled badly at the time, which is fine. They just screwed up.

Just every time I say it was announced, and some one else pops up and says i'm wrong and spreading misinformation, obviously I object to that.

I was joking about the ps4 version maybe being cancelled, I thought that was fairly obvious my self.

• Tracido likes this

#52 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:52

I would just like to note that I didn't say you were spreading misinformation. Just that I was frustrated with the misinformation that has been going around (like the falsified trailers and people photoshopping the Wii-U logo on stuff.) Sorry if you felt like I was accusing you. I meant it more as "I don't want to start this up again" and "I don't want people to come here and get the wrong idea." 

Which is also why I piped up about the PS4 thing. I don't want to start that rumor. Especially because I, personally, would be very disappointed if that happened. 

I wasn't trying to point fingers or attack anyone. I just don't want someone to walk away from a help thread where people are giving genuine advice and good information with the wrong idea. That's all. 

• Tracido likes this

#53 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 21:59

i'm not surprised, I think as I have stated before. I wouldn't hold out hopes any of that stuff will be supported on the pc version.

That 8 core AMD cpu has really bad single thread performance, and each core is pretty weak.

Since DFC is only going to make use of 2 or 3 cores at a push, I wouldn't expect improvements any time soon. Thats the gamble you take when buying a cpu like that. Its more suited to CoD and Battlefield AAA type games, where they have a whole team of programmers working none stop to break the whole game down in to separate threads. And I can tell you, that is a very complex, and hugely time consuming task.

This is why I love my multi-threaded 6 core, that OC's up to 5.0GHz, most games can only use a few cores and some only can use one, some of my oldies.  However, I alt tab often in the ones I can, that's what those cores and threads are for...

#54 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 22:09

I just don't want someone to walk away from a help thread where people are giving genuine advice and good information with the wrong idea. That's all. 

I understand that. But this is a discussion forum not a news feed, people will make jokes, other might even get things wrong. Having a forum mod jump all over me due to a one line light hearted comment is a bit OTT.

But no harm done, no worries :)

This is why I love my multi-threaded 6 core, that OC's up to 5.0GHz, most games can only use a few cores and some only can use one, some of my oldies.  However, I alt tab often in the ones I can, that's what those cores and threads are for...

With out a doubt with most AAA games you get excellent performance for your money, and the older games will be fine too. The off set from that is, its not always suitable for every task, and for right now (and as far as I can see, the foreseeable future) DFC will be one of them. And thats not really RTG fault (or anyone's really). Right now the difference between AMD and Intel cpus is greater than I have ever known, two totally different strategies, and thats going to be an issue for anyone who isnt a big AAA dev.

I don't see stuff like Sli/xfire support even being on the 'to-do' list my self.

As of right now the requirements for DFC doesnt even list a recommended AMD cpu does it ? the minimum spc just says or equivalent.

#55 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 22:10

Sorry if you thought I was jumping all over you. Again, definitely not my intention. Apologies. 

• Lee-m likes this

#56 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 22:16

Sorry if you thought I was jumping all over you. Again, definitely not my intention. Apologies. 

I accept :)

#57 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:05

I understand that. But this is a discussion forum not a news feed, people will make jokes, other might even get things wrong. Having a forum mod jump all over me due to a one line light hearted comment is a bit OTT.

But no harm done, no worries :)

With out a doubt with most AAA games you get excellent performance for your money, and the older games will be fine too. The off set from that is, its not always suitable for every task, and for right now (and as far as I can see, the foreseeable future) DFC will be one of them. And thats not really RTG fault (or anyone's really). Right now the difference between AMD and Intel cpus is greater than I have ever known, two totally different strategies, and thats going to be an issue for anyone who isnt a big AAA dev.

I don't see stuff like Sli/xfire support even being on the 'to-do' list my self.

As of right now the requirements for DFC doesnt even list a recommended AMD cpu does it ? the minimum spc just says or equivalent.

It's a shame really, I have this beast of a system and I can never run the full potential in my games, I have the SLI/Crossfirex ready MB made from space tough quality material, but most games don't even have the capability to utilize it. XD

However, it's also sad about AMD CPU architecture, I loved them, but after this last gen I could not upgrade into another one, I had to move on, for my games. :/

#58 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:50

Issues with AMD CPUs are why I've used only Intel since around 2000.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#59 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:49

Yeah, I've lost confidence in AMD. Their CPUs performance of the tasks I care about has been steadily falling behind Intel, and for AMD and Nvidia cards with comparable specs Nvidia seems to outperform. I don't know if this is because they've got better drivers, or games are more optimized for them. But at the end of the day I feel like I'm getting more performance from Nvidia.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#60 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:37

https://www.facebook...495723240509125
At the time I took that to be an announcement. RTGs offical facebook chan and a big magazine (edge) and nintendo news, along with the words 'confirmed' and 'wii u'.

I don't intend to go over old, none relevant ground on that one, but I wouldn't say anything I have said is 'misinformation'. Clearly i'm glad its gone, or at least until after the 5 book PC run is over.

I.. Um yeah. I knew there was a facebook post linking to an article about it (I think that's the only evidence though). And I haven't shared it, on purpose. I have a feeling it was posted by not-Ragnar and I hope it is not the reason why they parted ways with the community manager..
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users