71 replies to this topic

#1 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:37

I have factory-overclocked GeForce 780Ti and i7-2600K overclocked to 4.6GHz. I hoped I would be able to play Dreamfall Chapters in all its glory in highest settings in 1080p and 60 frames per second - especially after the performance patch.

Sadly, this does not seem to be the case. In Europolis I am getting drops into 40s and 50s, which causes judder and stutter (frames are displayed in an "uneven" manner) and the best part is that my GPU usage at such moment is at 50%. Which means half of my GPU power is not used at all, but the game is unable to sustain 60fps nonetheless. When I disabled DOF, SSAO, antialiasing... nothing changed. Still similar framerate and GPU usage (perhaps usage was a bit lower, but framerate stayed the same). I am able to play most games (including games with comparable or better graphics) on my rig in 1080p and 60fps - is there any chance that future optimization will make this possible for Dreamfall Chapters, or is it a limitation of Unity engine?

Here's a video I recorded which shows what I encountered - watch in Chrome to achieve 60fps playback (with drops ;) ) - the statistics in the top left corner of the video show GPU usage in the third line.

If you don't have chrome, here is the downloadable version: https://mega.co.nz/#...MyRrUqqCqp7zxl8

If you don't like mega, here is software allowing you to download 60fps video from youtube: https://www.4kdownlo...videodownloader

#2 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:06

Europolis is CPU-bound not GPU-bound.

#3 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:09

I suspected that, but I had hoped the impression that i7-2600K overclocked to 4.6GHz should be good enough. Also the temperature of my CPU during the framedrops does not increase, which means it is not working at 100% capacity.

#4 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:58

Europolis is CPU-bound not GPU-bound.

People with the same CPU (or weaker than mine) have reported way better FPS using better GPUs (AMD R9 or Nvidia GTX 760 Ti up to 980 (!)), so I am not sure that this is correct.
Also overclocking my CPU from the default @3.2 to @3.8 (didnt push it too far) yielded no noticable improvement for performance in Europolis.

#5 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:31

I don't think the game is set up to use multiple cores.

khh or Morten should be able to add more to my statement about Europolis.

#6 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:44

The issue in part is unity, it doesnt max out your cores, it seems to behave more like its operating on dual cores. So you seem to hit a performance wall around 50% on a quad core. God help RTG for the ps4 port, with its very under powered cores, but with 8(6) of them. I hope they do well with it, might not be easy.

With that said a good gpu makes the world of difference on max settings but I haven't really re checked this since the 1.1.1 patch. Seems to me the game is geared around 30fps being all you need, so as long as your there... no real issue.

Im playing on an i5 @ 4.4gz with a 980 gtx, and I get yo-yo frame rates from 40 to 200. Its not an issue unless your sat watching your fps, so I just stopped doing that after the patch.

• khh and Em_TC like this

#7 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:46

Lee-m, I get about 15 fps still in Mira's workshop - 8 core AMD and 2 * GTX 560 Ti in SLI. That's with 1.1.1.

#8 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:52

Does DFC even supports SLI?

Im playing on an i5 @ 4.4gz with a 980 gtx, and I get yo-yo frame rates from 40 to 200. Its not an issue unless your sat watching your fps, so I just stopped doing that after the patch.

I'm not sitting watching FPS, I am sensitive to frame drops, can't help it :) I immediately notice a drop from 60 to 40. That is why I will probably set a FPS limiter at 40 and leave it at that.

#9 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:54

Lee-m, I get about 15 fps still in Mira's workshop - 8 core AMD and 2 * GTX 560 Ti in SLI. That's with 1.1.1.

Taking in to account what I just said above, that doesnt surprise me. I can see it being a major stumbling block for the ps4 version... unless unity works some magic for that platform (It might do). Its unfortunate. I'd disable sli and see what happens.

#10 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:55

I think Simplex is right - it's ignored.

#11 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:56

I'm not sitting watching FPS, I am sensitive to frame drops, can't help it :) I immediately notice a drop from 60 to 40. That is why I will probably set a FPS limiter at 40 and leave it at that.

yeah thats cool. Your best plan is to just not worry about. Its not crysis 3 is it lol ? We just need to be abit lenient on the performance side given the budget and the clear ambition shown with europolis, im glad they didnt scale it back even if it costs us a few fps.

#12 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:57

I think Simplex is right - it's ignored.

As regards Sli, as far as I know unity sees it as 1 gpu, and what your gpu does with the data is up to your card and drivers.

#13 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 November 2014 - 15:51

For SLI, I believe others have had luck with setting the driver to force every other frame rendered on each GPU. It's mentioned here. Though I don't know if that improves performance any.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#14 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 16:31

I watched your sample video Simplex. Just to be sure, are you talking about how the buildings in the background 'jerk' a little bit in the background as you're running around the pedestal?

If so, I can say I'm not seeing this on my system. I have an i5-2600, GTX 750 Ti, 8GB RAM, all on an Asus P8H67-M Pro. I do only get around 50 fps, but that seems to be enough for smooth playback. I did notice an occasional 'jerk', but that was because I wasn't moving my mouse smoothly enough ;)

BTW, I didn't use Chrome, I used FireFox. I don't have Chrome installed.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#15 Pixeldream

Pixeldream

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 18:02

Wow, I wish the game ran like that on my computer! Anything above 30 FPS my eyes perceive as smooth anyway. 

• thearkive likes this

#16 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 19:35

I watched your sample video Simplex. Just to be sure, are you talking about how the buildings in the background 'jerk' a little bit in the background as you're running around the pedestal?

If so, I can say I'm not seeing this on my system. I have an i5-2600, GTX 750 Ti, 8GB RAM, all on an Asus P8H67-M Pro. I do only get around 50 fps, but that seems to be enough for smooth playback. I did notice an occasional 'jerk', but that was because I wasn't moving my mouse smoothly enough ;)

BTW, I didn't use Chrome, I used FireFox. I don't have Chrome installed.

The "jerk" you refer to is pronounced due to 30fps playback of a video which was recorded in 60fps. This is why I recommended watching in a browser that supports youtube in 60fps (chrome, safari).

The jerk is still there in 60fps and it happens when the framerate drops from butter smooth 60fps to 40-50fps.

#17 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 19:39

I watched the video in firefox (the only true browser ;) ) and I gotta say, it looked smooth to me, and i'm a big gamer. I play most of the AAA games. I don't think you'll see much better performance than that from DFC.

#18 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 19:47

I use firefox too, but it does not support 60fps playback on youtube. And trust me, this video is not smooth :)

For those who do not have chrome, 60fps video can be downloaded using this: https://www.4kdownlo...videodownloader

Also, if RTG wants to publish on PS4, they must improve performance. PS4 has GPU comparable to radeon 7870 and a very weak "mobile" CPU clocked at only 1.6GHz, which has 8 cores (6 available to game developers). There is no chance that the game will run acceptably if it is not properly using more than 2 threads.

Taking in to account what I just said above, that doesnt surprise me. I can see it being a major stumbling block for the ps4 version... unless unity works some magic for that platform (It might do). Its unfortunate. I'd disable sli and see what happens.

This is actually good as it will force RTG to optimize the game for multiple cores. Hopefully these optimizations will also make it to the PC version.

This is a bit similar situation to what happened with Shadow Warrior - PC version was quite demanding, and the recently released console version is better optimized (64bit, DX11) and these optimizations may be ported back to the PC version.

#19 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 19:53

This is actually good as it will force RTG to optimize the game for multiple cores.

But thats really not their fault, not on a game engine level. Thats down to unity and their devs. RTG have already shown us they can do things to improve unitys performance, but there are limits. Its not some AAA using the unreal engine where 20 hardcore c++ devs rewrite half the engine to be custom fit for purpose.

You have to be forgiving as long as they make it playable on the hardware they quoted. Which with 1.1.1 they have in my book. And its not like i'm easiest person to please. Have you read some of the other threads lol ? I'm a bit of a bastard some times ;)

• khh and Em_TC like this

#20 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 20:02

Well, Unity was their engine of choice - I am assuming they did some research beforehand and knew the consequences.

Wasteland 2 also uses Unity and this game is also criticized for poor performance.

The Astronauts, makers of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, is a dev team consisting of seven people and they most probably had a fraction of RTG's budget and yet their game looks amazing and runs very well too (they chose Unreal Engine 3). Of course I am not making a direct comparison, as TVoEC does not have thousands of dialogue lines and dozens of in-game character, but still it shows that a small indie dev on a very limited budget can make a nice looking and well-optimized game.

On the whole the game looks amazingly good for a Unity game not made on AAA budget - perhaps poor performance is the price to pay. I can accept such tradeoff :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users