#21 br305893

br305893

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationFairfield, CT, USA

Posted 21 November 2014 - 17:27

...Don't hate me, but I just really really really feel the need to correct a common misconception here. >>; 

This is a sometimes contentious topic in feminism, but from everything I've gotten from Anita's video and from most of current wave feminism, the issue isn't women wearing revealing clothing. The issue isn't even women wearing revealing clothing in video games. The issue is objectification and the fact that when a woman wears revealing clothing, some people feel that means she can be treated as a sex object. The issue is with the treatment, not the outfit. 

There's actually a current movement trying to make it legal for women go be topless in public (in places where it's currently illegal / frowned upon) for equality reasons. ;)

That said, while I'm all for people wearing as much or as little as they want to in order to be comfortable, I personally feel most comfortable in pants. As I said. Even when it's super warm. 

Oh, and re: tourists - We sort of have the opposite game here. We can spot tourists / out of towners  based on how cold it has to be before they start bundling up. 

My uncle lives in Arizona and when he visits and the weather is even remotely cool he wears like 20 layers. 

Him: Man, I need to go to the store and buy some gloves and a hat. It's freezing. 

Me: ...It's 50 degrees. (10 C) ...Are you... ...Really?

I'm one of those people who always wears shorts, even in the winter sometimes. And yes, I'm from Connecticut, where it snows quite frequently in the winter!

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#22 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 November 2014 - 17:31

I'm one of those people who always wears shorts, even in the winter sometimes. And yes, I'm from Connecticut, where it snows quite frequently in the winter!

I went to college with one of those. Shorts and flip flops, even in the snow. @_@

To each their own. ;) 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#23 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 November 2014 - 17:44

Yup, it's a well known national pastime to make fun of tourists that show up in Lisbon like that when for us it is very cold outside :)

Then it is possible our paths have crossed this very way.

• agirlnamedbob and Bruno like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#24 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 19:14

I knew a guy who used to wear t-shirts in winter and long sleeves in the summer.

#25 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2424 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:49

Oh, and re: tourists - We sort of have the opposite game here. We can spot tourists / out of towners  based on how cold it has to be before they start bundling up. 

The world is indeed in balance, then :)

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feedback, positive, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users