Photo

Dreamfall Chapters black areas on screen?

Graphics Linux Radeon

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Afiefh

Afiefh

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 19:34

Hello,

I've installed Dreamfall Chapters on my Kubuntu 14.10 box with a Radeon 7850 1GB card running the OSS driver. The system seems to be able to handle the load, but any scene that has rays of lights in it (such as the window in the intro) has opaque black areas instead of lights. Is there a way to fix it?

The forum complained about my screenshots being too big to upload, so here is an imgur link showing areas with black. One area that's consistently black is sleeping Zoe and some of the area surrounding her (though if I stand at just the right angle I can see the carpet and foot of the bed)

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 November 2014 - 19:45

Are your using the latest version? Do you have the game from Steam, Humble or GOG?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Pingouache

Pingouache

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 05 November 2014 - 19:52

Exactly the same things for me (but I've already said it here), with last version 1.1.1 and Steam. And with opensource "radeon" driver too.

I'm on openSUSE 13.2, so with the most recent Linux kernel and the newest LLVM library, which is designed to fix numerous graphic bugs with opensource drivers for AMD Radeon. The weird thing is that all the users who have still those artifacts on Linux seem to be AMD GPU owners (with OSS or proprietary drivers).

• Afiefh likes this

#4 Afiefh

Afiefh

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 20:03

I'm running it through Steam and downloaded an update yesterday. I don't know how to check the version of the game, but steam says the buildID is 429746.

I tried to check if a shader failed to compile by using the environment variable MESA_GLSL=log, but all the shader files (612 of them!) that were saved seemed to have compiled perfectly, at least they all have the following lines at the end:

/* Compile status: ok */
/* Log Info: */

If it is a specific OpenGL extension or bug that's keeping the game from working I wouldn't mind opening a bounty for the Radeon/mesa devs to implement it, but it would help immensely if I RedThreadGames could shed some light on what is causing the issue.

Edit: Kubuntu 14.10 doesn't have the latest kernel and mesa, but if it is supposed to work on the latest I don't mind moving to xorg edgers and getting the latest.

• Pingouache likes this

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 November 2014 - 20:28

It seems the problems stems from some shaders not being as supported on Linux as they're meant to be. I believe RTG are aware of the issue, and that they are working on it, but I would unfortunately not expect a quick resolution.

April Ryan is my friend,

#6 Afiefh

Afiefh

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 21:16

It seems the problems stems from some shaders not being as supported on Linux as they're meant to be. I believe RTG are aware of the issue, and that they are working on it, but I would unfortunately not expect a quick resolution.

Wouldn't a shader not being supported produce a dumped /*Compile status: failed*/?

It would be great if we could figure out which shader fails (and perhaps why) so the people implementing the OpenGL API on Linux (mesa/radeon_si) can implement it. There have been cases where gamers gathered a bounty to get specific OpenGL features implemented for Linux, we could do the same here as well...

• Pingouache likes this

#7 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 November 2014 - 21:31

Wouldn't a shader not being supported produce a dumped /*Compile status: failed*/?

It would be great if we could figure out which shader fails (and perhaps why) so the people implementing the OpenGL API on Linux (mesa/radeon_si) can implement it. There have been cases where gamers gathered a bounty to get specific OpenGL features implemented for Linux, we could do the same here as well...

I don't know, sorry. Shaders are outside my area of competence. Hopefully one of the devs will stop by with a bit more useful information.

• Afiefh likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#8 Afiefh

Afiefh

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 21:34

I don't know, sorry. Shaders are outside my area of competence. Hopefully one of the devs will stop by with a bit more useful information.

One can only hope, or dare I say.... dream

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Graphics, Linux, Radeon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users