#1 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 27 January 2014 - 15:15

Love the new screenshots but the latest artwork for Zoe has her wearing hoop earings. For the most part, I couldn't care less what a character does and doesn't wear. But hoop earings? You've taken a great character and made her look like she's fallen off the back of a white-trash trailer. WTF? Maybe I'm being unfair in which case ignore this but still...not a good design decision.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#2 RezaTemiz

RezaTemiz

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 16:12

You're going to love the optional nose stud. ;)

• ACID_RAIN82 likes this

#3 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 16:36

nose stud is fine :-) It's just from a cultural perspective that in the US and UK in particular, hoop earings are generally associated with white trash and the proletariat. This doesn't fit with Zoe's character bio. She's from a wealthy (or at least well-off), family currently living in Casablanca. The earings do NOT fit.

It's a bit like seeing her in a stained white adidas tracksuit holding an empty beer can in one hand while 8 months pregnant. Or generally portrayed as a female "scumbag" (WARNING - some stong language: see http://www.urbandict...hp?term=scumbag and http://www.urbandict...hp?term=knacker). To say that they're not held in high regard would be an understatement - hence my objection :-)

Piersings/tattoos in general, no prob. Just this particular type of earring. A warning to the developers - it's not a good design choice if selling the game in the US/UK market :-)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#4 Kazoo

Kazoo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 17:29

Actually.. I've been seeing a recurrance of hoop earrings.

"... so many things are possible, just as long as you don't know they're impossible."

-- The Phantom Tollbooth

#5 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 January 2014 - 18:02

I know lots of cool people who wear hoop earrings, and they're not trailer trash at all. It all depends on the rest of the personality.

Also, details, details, detaaaails :P

• ACID_RAIN82 likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#6 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 18:07

I didn't know hoop earings are a big 'no-no' in US or UK :huh:  Personally, I love them, and two of my friends are wearing them often. I think it has nothing to do with how wealthy or not is someone, but, like Tina said, it depends on one's fashion style and personality.

• ACID_RAIN82 likes this

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#7 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 27 January 2014 - 18:15

I have also worn hoop earrings for a loooong time - until I got allergic. I still like them, though, and I never knew they could have negative connotations. Not where I live, that's for sure.

In any case, Dreamfall is set in another time and place, and hence, what you can understand from a complement could be radically different from what the characters in-game feel about it.

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#8 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 18:46

Also, details, details, detaaaails :P

Very much so and this thread to be taken with a pinch of salt :) The hoopiness really does have negative connotations in some demographics but hey, I'm no style guru - I've been accused of color blindness :). If it's in, it's in.

It's also possible I have my head up my own arse.

#9 Ceridwen

Ceridwen

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • LocationNeverland

Posted 27 January 2014 - 18:57

I think it's sort of how you wear them. I very much like hoop earrings and used to wear a pair I had often until I lost them. But I get sort of negative associations if I see someone wear massive hoop earrings, pencil- thin eyebrows and a track suit. Especially if gum is also involved. But that's a personality thing. I quite like Zöe's earringed look though!

• Tina likes this

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

Finding yourself is brilliant! You desert everybody, abandon your responsibilities and relationships, and focus completely on your own personal misery. It's a douche for the soul.

#10 Shalryma

Shalryma

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 January 2014 - 19:08

Honestly,I never met with any hoop earrings opponent and I'm a girl who likes to wear them a lot :D
I think the thing is,that they are usually big kind of earrings and its easy to overweight look while wearing to much jewelry,but since Zoe has at least few artists and designers deciding,how she will look like,she definitely will look more than great! :D

Plus,I have to say that I really like new look of hers!

"I believe that some things are meant to happen.Call it destiny.Call it will of the Goddess.Call it chance.But do not call it concidence."
Kian Alvane,Dreamfall:The Longest Journey

"Every fight we ever seen could've been our last.Every bullet we ever dodged could've been the one.[...]And this time around they're just a little bigger."
Garrus Vakarian,Mass Effect 3

" It is only when you fall that you learn wether you can fly."

Flemeth,Dragon Age 2

"Nothing is lost forever,but some things are better if never found."
Lara Croft,Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light

"Broken people are dangerous.They know they can survive."

Ellie,The Last Of Us

"Man chooses.Slave obeys."
Andrew Ryan,BioShock

"There is always a man,always a lighthouse,always a city."
Elizabeth,BioShock Infinite

#11 Mawnster

Mawnster

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationBasque Country, Spain.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 20:25

Are you Gabriel Castillo from the old forum or...?

• Edreamer Jamil and WorldsReunited like this

I'm scared that I'm not myself in here and I'm scared that I am.

Hullo, dis is Maws 龴ↀ◡ↀ龴{meow?)

#12 Kazoo

Kazoo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 21:28

What the... I take this as a personal insult. -_-

As someone who wears hoop earrings?  Or someone who proudly considers themself one of the proletariat and who doesn't wear hoop earrings? ;)

"... so many things are possible, just as long as you don't know they're impossible."

-- The Phantom Tollbooth

#13 Kazoo

Kazoo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 21:57

See.. I KNEW they were coming back into style.

-- The Phantom Tollbooth

#14 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 22:09

See.. I KNEW they were coming back into style.

I sincerely hope not... ;)

0111.jpg

#15 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 22:12

But still, the hoop earrings themselves are not vulgar or anything. Of course, it depends on their size, how heavy/colorful/decorated/sparkling they are and all, but that's hardly exclusive to the hoop earrings. In Zoe's case they look pretty non-vulgar.

Very true. But 90% of the time I see hoop earrings they're on people like in the picture previously posted. Can they look nice? Sure. Just not on some people :)

#16 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 27 January 2014 - 22:13

What the... I take this as a personal insult. -_-

Actually, I thought that this was more insulting:

It's a bit like seeing her in a stained white adidas tracksuit holding an empty beer can in one hand while 8 months pregnant.

But... Then, it reminded me of Vicky Pollard -who, BTW, does not wear hoop earrings-, and it just made me want to watch Little Britain for a while XD

Anyhow, no hard feelings. I believe that the hoop earrings are there to stay, though.

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#17 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 22:19

Anyhow, no hard feelings. I believe that the hoop earrings are there to stay, though.

Yup, I think that's a given. I can hope though :)

#18 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3560 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 27 January 2014 - 22:47

But hoop earings? You've taken a great character and made her look like she's fallen off the back of a white-trash trailer. WTF? Maybe I'm being unfair in which case ignore this but still...not a good design decision.

Yeah. Because fashion's so going to be static for the next 200 or so years.

• Brita and Noviere like this

#19 Mawnster

Mawnster

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationBasque Country, Spain.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 22:54

I sincerely hope not... ;)

0111.jpg

Those are chavs or canis in Spanish. They wear hoop earrings because it's part of their clothing style (Burberry clothing, caps, too much jewellery...). This doesn't mean that everyone who wears hoop earrings is automatically a chav. Aka, Zoe's case.

But... Then, it reminded me of Vicky Pollard -who, BTW, does not wear hoop earrings-, and it just made me want to watch Little Britain for a while XD

MATT LUCAS AND DAVID WALLIAMS FTFW! \m/

I'm scared that I'm not myself in here and I'm scared that I am.

Hullo, dis is Maws 龴ↀ◡ↀ龴{meow?)

#20 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 23:03

This doesn't mean that everyone who wears hoop earrings is automatically a chav. Aka, Zoe's case.

As I said previously, I agree. My point is that I just don't think it looks good on Zoe in the artwork. I'm sorry but it just doesn't. I know others disagree, I'm just giving my two cents - which is probably worth considerably less :P ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zoe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users