Photo

Are the hints about the effects of our choices a good thing ?

choice consequence gameplay immersion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:51

I'm puzzled with the choice to give the player regular feedback about the actions of the playable characters and their impact on the story. I'm talking about the direct notifications "X will remember that" or "The Balance has been shifted" as well as the recap at the end of the episode.

It looks like a constant reminder of the game system behind the interactive story, behind the experience. It looks like an endless tutorial that prevents me to try, to play as I wish. As for me, it means that I am less tempted to do role play, to stick to my character, to act like I was Zoë or Kian, who make choices, sometimes consciously, sometimes NOT.

I do guess those notifications have foreshadowing and teasing purposes but I think they are too many. Plus, there is a risk that we might be disappointed, that we find future events anti-climatic. It could then have the opposite effect on us.

I would have prefered a subtle approach like in Alpha Protocol. For instance :
Spoiler

What do you think about this system ? Are you rather the curious gamer enjoying those notifications or do you think this feedback on your choices is too present and breaks the immersion ?

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:41

There is some discussion about this in the thread requesting RTG remove the notifications, including replies from Ragnar

http://redthreadgame...-notifications/

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Tiago

Tiago

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Posted 05 November 2014 - 13:40

The idea of the choice system was avoiding to have a "good path" and an "evil path", or an "obviously right choice" and an "obviously wrong choice". The game even avoids saying whether your choice was right or wrong.

Every choice has its pros and cons, and sometimes you have make a judgement call about what would be the better of two evils. It should be up to personal preference, you shouldn't try to guess "what the game wants you to choose", as this isn't how the game is designed.

• Mr_Russ likes this

نDo4gzZF.png

#4 Idinyphe

Idinyphe

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 13:58

@Nanoloque

Let us not talk about the notifications, that is discussed on another thread but discuss about "getting a hint what you get"

If there is a feature like that I would not switch it on. Choices and consequences is for me a core game fun factor. Even if I get a hint I know in the end I would be disappointed.

Example:

Spoiler

So you decide for one thing and you don't really know what you get. It is Zoes version of Forrest Gump sitting on the park bench.

Not knowing what you get is one of the central things in the game :)

• Mr_Russ and Tiago like this

Unfortunately that's the story of revenge. It's messy. Never really works out the way you want it to.

#5 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 05 November 2014 - 17:06

There is some discussion about this in the thread requesting RTG remove the notifications, including replies from Ragnar
http://redthreadgame...-notifications/

I read it but I wanted to mainly discuss the recap at the end of the episode. But it is true that three topics about that are more than sufficient. :P

Let us not talk about the notifications, that is discussed on another thread but discuss about "getting a hint what you get"

If there is a feature like that I would not switch it on. Choices and consequences is for me a core game fun factor. Even if I get a hint I know in the end I would be disappointed.

I would be disappointed too. And that's how I see the recap at the end of the episode : hints at what will happen since the recap presents the choices which will have important consequences. Even if I suspect it is only a recap of all my choices, regardless of their importance, which would be a better thing yet a little pompous.
  • khh likes this

#6 Idinyphe

Idinyphe

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 19:26

@Nonoloque

For me that is OK... it only gives you an idea what matters and what has only minor impact. I agree with you that those decisions make you thinking more about your decisions.On the other side it gives you a clear hint for the replay: what exactly do I have to change to get other threads of the game? With the system you suggested this would be very hard to do... you do not know... was it a option during a converstaion? Was it an action? Many things would have no effect and you would need a gamers guide where people collect confirmed changing spots.

To be honest I do not like that internet thing where you can read everything... developers know that they exist and that most people will use them. So why not integrating this feature into the game?

Spoiler

I guess the "think about a decision" is part of the game. I do not know if I will like that, your "I just play myself" has some advantages. It will depend what the developers are making out of this feature. I guess there can be tricky new situations that can be exciting.

Spoiler

As I said it will depend on what the developers are planning with this feature.

• Nanoloque likes this

Unfortunately that's the story of revenge. It's messy. Never really works out the way you want it to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choice, consequence, gameplay, immersion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users