Photo
- - - - -

Game lag even at lowest setting, mac spec is higher than recommended spec for game

Dreamfall lag unplayable help Mac

Best Answer agirlnamedbob , 05 November 2014 - 05:18

1.1.1 is the latest patch, so if that's what version you're showing, then you're up to date. There have been some issues with Yosmite, as khh said. Some of those seem to be issues on Apple's end. Not to say that's necessarily the case here; I don't know enough about your situation. 

There may be another patch in the future, but we have no idea when that will be as it stands right now.

Make sure you don't have any background programs running while you're trying to run the game. Since 4GB of RAM is the minimum requirement, that might be why you're having lag. ...I can't remember if there's any Mac specific tips for helping with that.

Can you give some more detail about the sort of lag you're experiencing? Is it everywhere, or just in Europolis? Also, if you visit the FAQ I linked above, it'll tell you how to get system diagnostic / log files that RTG can use to help diagnose your problem if we can't find a work around. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aurorabliss

Aurorabliss

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:06

I need help with the game, because of how bad the lag is i feel like i have bought a game completely unplayable. Especially in europolis it lags every turn i make even walking not running. I tried to set the the lowest resolution low visual uncheck depth etc but the lag still continues. I would like to know if there may be future update to fix this? I really want to play this game but i cant cuz of lag!! I realize through searches for solution to this lag issue that i am not the only one suffering from this, seems like many ppl struggled with the lag and even crashes..lowest of the lowest setting doesnt even do much to help too.

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:10

RTG are working on a patch 1.2, but they're taking the time to hunt down the more troublesome problems for that one, so it could take a while. I can't promise if it will help with your specific problems. 

What are your system specs?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:10

Hi Aurorabliss - 

I assume you're playing on Mac based on the title. Can you tell us what platform you have the game through? (Steam / Humble / GOG)

GOG is still waiting on a patch that has fixed a lot of performance issues for other people. If you've got the game through GOG, the patch will hopefully be available soon. 

If you're on Humble, make sure you've downloaded the updated game file. If you're on Steam, make sure your copy of the game is up to date. 

I also recommend taking a look at the FAQ, as it has some suggestions for improving performance. 

If you've done all of the above, please post your specs. We might be able to help give some specific trouble shooting advice if we know more about your machine. 

EDIT: Ninja'd while being all thorough and junk. :P 

• khh likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#4 Aurorabliss

Aurorabliss

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:35

Im playing this game from steam just downloaded this 6hrs ago.
Specs as follows,
Osx 10.10
2.7ghz intel core i5
4gb 1333mhz ddr3
Amd radeon hd 6770m 512mb

Hope this helps? Not sure what to do at this point then hope that someone could help me out.
Tks again for the prompt respond.
If my spec could be the issue pls let me know tks

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:42

Those specs should run the game fine.

However I seem to recall that there's a problem in Yosemite with the amd graphics drivers. When you put the computer in sleep mode they get improperly loaded on restore, causing crap performance in all 3D applications.

A cold reboot (that is actually turning the computer completely off before turning it back on again, as opposed to just selecting reboot) should help with that. Worth a try.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 Aurorabliss

Aurorabliss

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:02

Tried n still same issue, pretty much at a lost. May i ask is the 1.1.1 a verson after a patch? Did this game get a patch for lag issue before? If thr are anymore suggestion/solution regarding the lag issues i would like to try it out

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:18   Best Answer

1.1.1 is the latest patch, so if that's what version you're showing, then you're up to date. There have been some issues with Yosmite, as khh said. Some of those seem to be issues on Apple's end. Not to say that's necessarily the case here; I don't know enough about your situation. 

There may be another patch in the future, but we have no idea when that will be as it stands right now.

Make sure you don't have any background programs running while you're trying to run the game. Since 4GB of RAM is the minimum requirement, that might be why you're having lag. ...I can't remember if there's any Mac specific tips for helping with that.

Can you give some more detail about the sort of lag you're experiencing? Is it everywhere, or just in Europolis? Also, if you visit the FAQ I linked above, it'll tell you how to get system diagnostic / log files that RTG can use to help diagnose your problem if we can't find a work around. 

• khh likes this

#8 Aurorabliss

Aurorabliss

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:50

It lags the most in europolis i can move normal for a few second and suddenly it becomes choppy and laggy especially when i rotate the view with my mouse. Ive had nothing running in my background when i play. How do i find the diagnostic file if my game is from steam? And is this possibly an issue with my computer or the game itself because i play other games that require higher spec etc and honestly never lag much if not not at all.

#9 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 16:25

It lags the most in europolis i can move normal for a few second and suddenly it becomes choppy and laggy especially when i rotate the view with my mouse. Ive had nothing running in my background when i play. How do i find the diagnostic file if my game is from steam? And is this possibly an issue with my computer or the game itself because i play other games that require higher spec etc and honestly never lag much if not not at all.

I'm going to quote directly from the FAQ here: 

For anyone having graphical / performance issues, we advise you do the following which helps us a lot to debug and find out what's causing the issues:
Output log:
You can find the game's output log in the location that the game is installed in a folder named "Dreamfall Chapters_Data". For Steam users, this can usually be found in your Steam installation folder under "...\SteamApps\common\Dreamfall Chapters". In the "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" folder, the output log file is called "output_log.txt".

System Diagnostics:
Windows: Open "dxdiag.exe" (best found by typing "DxDiag" in your start menu or through the Run-option). Press the "Save All Information" button at the bottom of the Window to save the diagnostics file.
Mac: Open your Apple Menu (press the Apple logo in the top left of the screen), go to "About This Mac" -> "More Info" -> "System Report". In the application that launches, choose "File" -> "Save".
Linux: Open your command terminal and type "sudo lshw -html > sysdiag.html". This will create a file called "sysdiag.html".

I bolded the parts that I think should apply to you since you're a Steam / Mac person. It's possible that the lag may be in part because you're on the minimum end in terms of RAM, but I'm not sure. 

What specifically do you have all of the game's settings set at? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dreamfall, lag, unplayable, help, Mac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users