Photo

Linux x64 Bug Reports (and comparison with Windows x64) v1.1.1 up to v2.0.0 [Spoilers]

1.1.1 Linux Windows x64 steam cloud sync black artifacts SteamOS Beta settings persistence graphic glitches AMD drivers open source radeon drivers 2.0.0

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:51

Regarding the issue with preferences not being saved:

The only thing we've done is thrown in another line of code that calls "Save Preferences" right before it quits the application. I wouldn't have too high hopes for this to work for those of you that are having this issue as this is what the "Quit" call does in Unity by default, but it's worth a shot. Mind you, we're not having this issue on our Linux install (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), so as of now, we don't have a reproducable case to debug.

It might be that the application does not have write permissions in the location preferences are stored, so you guys might want to check that and make sure the game can write to the directory in question. The preferences should be stored in the directory mentioned in this section of our FAQ.

We did try the System.Application.Quit call instead of Unity's Application.Quit at one point, as we had the same bug as you mentioned using Unity 4.1. However, this was not a good hack and lead to other bugs (like the application crashing on quit ++). We're using Application.Quit (Unity call) which is the correct way to quit a Unity application and it should also save preferences. That said, once a setting is changed in-game it should actually immediately write it to the settings file. 

We can't just fix PS3 wireless support in Unity by simply popping SDL in there for compatibility, as I'm sure you understand. We have to rely on what inputs are received by Unity and what kind of controllers it can recognize as this is how our input system works. There have, in later time, popped up a couple of more extensive third party input frameworks for Unity that offers better controller support across the board than what our system can do currently. However, I don't know if these systems can do anything differently in terms of supporting wireless PS3 controllers on Linux. What I do know is that it would be a major task to start implementing a new input system into the game at this point, and it will bring in a lot of new risks doing just that.

I'm sorry, but for now you will have to connect your PS3 controller via USB for it to work correctly it seems.

• ShadowNate likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#42 dc740

dc740

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 13:49

It might be that the application does not have write permissions in the location preferences are stored, so you guys might want to check that and make sure the game can write to the directory in question. The preferences should be stored in the directory mentioned in this section of our FAQ.

Thank you for your support. I have triple checked the permissions because I've been using linux for many years, and I've learned not to use root unless strictly necessary. I'm the owner of all the directories and subdirectories on my home.

I would also like to add an important detail that has shown to change things by a lot:

My disk is encrypted, and my home folder is also encrypted. You could try that on the default Ubuntu install (I'm using Lubuntu 14.10) to reproduce it. (it's the only different configuration I have from a regular install)

It looks silly but I've found bugs on some programs that save things to my home before, and moving them to a non encrypted folder solved the problem.

http://askubuntu.com...-home-directory

Here is a small quote

ncsvc> Failed to setuid to root. Error 1: Operation not permitted

The nosuid mount option is used when the eCryptfs mount is set up. This is done for security reasons to prevent privilege escalation attacks.

About PS3 support.You can simply use the wireless bluetooth connection by configuring xboxdrv like this:

https://github.com/G...oxdrv/issues/54

(don't forget to correct the axis, check the configuration I posted before and adapt it to your needs)

• Morten likes this

#43 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 March 2015 - 13:59

I'm not a Linux guru myself, but can it be that even though you are the owner/super-user, the application is not allowed to write to the directory?

Interesting thing you mentioned about the encrypted disks/directories. At this point I don't know what we could implement to get around this.

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#44 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 14:05

AFAIK, if the application is run under user X, any file created/edited by the application is saved by user X. Unless the application specifically requests some other user's rights.

• Morten likes this

#45 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 14:15

I'm not a Linux guru myself, but can it be that even though you are the owner/super-user, the application is not allowed to write to the directory?

Interesting thing you mentioned about the encrypted disks/directories. At this point I don't know what we could implement to get around this.

Morten, it's not a permissions issue, because the Dreamfall Chapters application can and does write and update the rest of the files in the same directory (one of them being the Player.log file). This is without messing with any of the read/write/execute permissions for the directory ("~/.config/unity3d/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters/"

Edit: my home folder is not encrypted, if that helps.  

Also, I think you mentioned that you are running a SteamOS installation as well. Is this bug not present on SteamOS for you?

#46 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 March 2015 - 14:37

Good to rule that one out then, guys. Thanks :)

No, as far as I know, I've not had this issue on either SteamOS or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I will have to check again, but I'm fairly sure I've never seen this happen.

I'll let you know if I find any discrepancies, but as of now this seems to be a Unity issue. Though it's pretty weird that it can't manage to save the preferences at any point other than at a point where it should not be able to...  :unsure:

#47 dc740

dc740

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 15:46

EDITED: I use to document my steps, just in case I need them for the future, so I wrote this "howto" to help those that need to use different joysticks:

http://redthreadgame...rent-joysticks/

I have an update about the wireless ps3 controller. This works (I'm using it)

1. install qtsixA to pair the ps3 controller
  2. make sure "sixad" service is running fine (check the log in /var/log/sixad)
  3. Look at these results in the command line: ls /dev/input/event*
  4. After that connect your ps3 controller via bluetooth normally.
  5. Do this again: ls /dev/input/event*
  6. Now there is a new "eventX" listed. take note!

now put that event device in the following configuration, and you are ready to go play wireless!

[axismap]
-Y1=Y1
-Y2=Y2
-DPAD_Y=DPAD_X
-DPAD_X=DPAD_Y

[buttonmap]

[device-name]

[device-usbid]

[evdev-absmap]

[evdev-keymap]

[modifier]

[relative-axis]

[ui-axismap]

[ui-buttonmap]

[evdev-absmap]
ABS_X=x1
ABS_Y=y1
ABS_Z=x2
ABS_RX=y2
ABS_#12=lt
ABS_#13=rt

[evdev-keymap]
BTN_TOP=start
BTN_TOP2=start
BTN_TRIGGER=y
BTN_THUMB2=tr
BTN_THUMB=tl
BTN_BASE5=lb
BTN_BASE6=rb
KEY_#302=a
KEY_#301=b
BTN_DEAD=x
KEY_#300=y
BTN_TRIGGER=back
BTN_A=guide
BTN_TOP=start
BTN_TOP2=du
BTN_PINKIE=dr
BTN_BASE=dd
BTN_BASE2=dl

[xboxdrv]
evdev=/dev/input/event15
evdev-debug=false
mimic-xpad=true
mimic-xpad-wireless=false
silent=true
detach-kernel-driver=true
dpad-as-button=false

[calibration]
RT=0:127:255
LT=0:127:255

[xboxdrv-daemon]

If some button doesn't work, set this: evdev-debug=true, then start xboxdrv again, press that button a verify which key it tells you it's pressing, then change the value in the configuration above to suit your needs.

Note:

• Setting dpad-as-button breaks everything and the buttons stop working
  • Using mimic-xpad-wireless instead of mimic.xpad also breaks everything
  • If you can't get the buttons to work after you configured them using the debug option, start playing with these two options, but only as a last resource!
  • I'm not able to go left and right using the dpad, I don't know if it's the game. The joystick works though

PS: remember, to use the configuration you have to start xboxdrv like this:

sudo xboxdrv -c xboxdrv_wireless.config

• Morten, khh and ShadowNate like this

#48 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 18:26

Regarding the issue with preferences not being saved:
The only thing we've done is thrown in another line of code that calls "Save Preferences" right before it quits the application. I wouldn't have too high hopes for this to work for those of you that are having this issue as this is what the "Quit" call does in Unity by default, but it's worth a shot. Mind you, we're not having this issue on our Linux install (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), so as of now, we don't have a reproducable case to debug.

(...)
We did try the System.Application.Quit call instead of Unity's Application.Quit at one point, as we had the same bug as you mentioned using Unity 4.1. However, this was not a good hack and lead to other bugs (like the application crashing on quit ++). We're using Application.Quit (Unity call) which is the correct way to quit a Unity application and it should also save preferences. That said, once a setting is changed in-game it should actually immediately write it to the settings file.

I just tried the 2.0.1 beta (on SteamOS). The prefs file is now normally updated when quiting the game, (no workaround needed), as expected. Yeaheeeee!!!! Whatever you did must have fixed it. The official prefs file is also somewhat different from my custom prefs file :D

Edit: (more info). The 2.0.1 beta is capable of reading and updating an existing prefs file (the one that I mashed up using settings from the Windows registry) and also of creating a new one from scratch if it doesn't find an existing one. 

Note, that the prefs file doesn't get updated whenever a setting is changed (eg when you turn off subtitles or change the spoken language, or change a visual setting and hit "Apply changes); the file only gets updated when quiting the game. So I don't think that what Morten mentions in that last sentence is supposed to be the case for Linux. However, this is totally fine, since while in-game any changes that don't need relaunching the game are applied as expected (even though they are not directly written in the prefs file).

• khh and dc740 like this

#49 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:18

Thanks for testing and confirming,  ShadowNate . :)

It's good to know that it at least saves on exit now, and it might very well be as you mentioned; that the preferences aren't supposed to/capable of being saved at runtime on Linux.

• khh and ShadowNate like this

#50 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 18:36

Not sure if this means anything or could help to resolve the issue with the black rays, but the glitch effect has... shifted a bit from 2.0.1 (and previous) version to 2.0.2 (beta). It now seems like there is a light colored border around the black lines. 

From this (2.0.1 beta and before)

Spoiler

to this (2.0.2 beta)

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1.1.1, Linux, Windows, x64, steam cloud sync, black artifacts, SteamOS Beta, settings persistence, graphic glitches, AMD drivers, open source radeon drivers, 2.0.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users