Photo

Linux x64 Bug Reports (and comparison with Windows x64) v1.1.1 up to v2.0.0 [Spoilers]

1.1.1 Linux Windows x64 steam cloud sync black artifacts SteamOS Beta settings persistence graphic glitches AMD drivers open source radeon drivers 2.0.0

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 16:59

I tried the Linux (Steam) version of Dreamfall Chapters today. It downloaded and launched ok, but there are a couple of bugs I noticed, and which weren't there on the Windows version (1.1.1 up to 2.0.0).

1. [NOT APPLICABLE TO 1.1.3 and above] Upon first launch the Settings "Visual" tab had preselected a rather weird resolution for my screen (1918x1030), which additionally is not available in the dropdown choices. (My display allows up to 1920x1080 which is the Desktop resolution I use). Update: This is not the case in version 1.1.3. Tested with Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS, Ubuntu 14.10 and SteamOS build 153. The bug was either fixed at some point, or it is an issue with LinuxMint 17.x OS, which does seem to have a few issues determining full screen dimensions for some games.
Spoiler

2. [PERSISTS IN 2.0.0]  On many scenes (starting from the first playable one next to Zoe's bed, there appear black lines where light rays should be (this could be a similar bug as the reported about black boxes, although I don't get black boxes anywhere with the proprietary drivers, and what I get is different from what I have seen in those screenshots). This occurs no matter what the Visual settings are set to. I tried everything on Low, Medium/Custom and everything on AWESOME/HIGH settings and the problem persists for all of those.  Update: The bug persists in 2.0.0. Tested on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS, Ubuntu 14.10 (for 1.1.3 version) and SteamOS build 153 (version 1.1.3 and 2.0.0). Probable reason is that some shaders are unsupported by a combo of drivers and OS.
Spoiler

3. [KNOWN ISSUE] On the starting cutscene at the overview with the burning boat, the fog glitches out and as a result part of the background scenery flashes on and off (as if the fog switches between full thick and not so thick). A video would be more appropriate to showcase this, but I haven't got a recording yet (I will as soon as I figure out how to do this on Linux). The two screenshots were taken in direct sequence and should somewhat indicate the issue. Again no difference if settings are low, medium or high (including enabling/disabling depth of field and lowering shadow draw distance). Update: Some fog volumes were disabled for the Linux version
Spoiler

4. [NOT APPLICABLE TO 1.1.3 and above] In addition - this is probably a Steam issue but I'm reporting here because you never know- the Linux version did not recover my saves (from the Windows version) from the Cloud. Meaning, either that Steam does not allow this (using the same saves from the Cloud storage across operating systems for the same account) or that for some reason this process failed for me / for this game. I actually don't know. Update: Upon first launch of the game via Steam, it will probably won't sync with the Cloud. But if you quit and re-launch it, it will sync your saves with the Cloud (across Operating Systems). Tested on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS and Ubuntu 14.10. Also tested on SteamOS build 153 with the same results (syncing is achieved only after second launch of the game)

5. [NOT A BUG FOR LINUX] On a positive note, in comparison to the Windows version, on the same system, the laser eyes bug does not occur for any character -so far- in the Linux version, no matter the settings used (tried with everything on AWESOME/HIGH (even SSAO) and it still is not there). Update: The laser eyes bug in the Windows version has been fixed for some configurations - it's not completely fixed but it's certainly less frequent/intense.

6. [PERSISTS IN 2.0.0] The game settings in the Linux version get reset everytime you restart the game. The culprit file named "prefs" should be created (for linux) under the path "~/.config/unity3d/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters/" in my home folder, but it does not even when I change the settings and press "Apply Changes", quit the game and restart. The only workaround that works is to forcefully close the game's window (quickest way would be to ALT+F4 exit out of the game). The advice in the FAQ is to change the permissions of the ".config" folder to 777 (all granted) but this is both ill advised, and is not guaranteed to work, since the ".config" is already under my home folder and I am set as the owner of it and it's contents. This bug is also mentioned here with the workaround,  also here (with the workaround) and here (with the advise to set the owner, but the folder was already owned by my user account and here on the steam forumsTested on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS and Ubuntu 14.10 (up to 1.1.3). Also tested on SteamOS build 153, where this bug is present. Update for 2.0.0 version: The workaround does not seem to be working at all now in Linux.

7. [KNOWN ISSUE] PS3 controller support may need some extra work from the user to work fully. dc740 has provided a detailed guide on how to get USB connected and wireless PS3 controllers to work with the game (look here and here for a dedicated thread)

My configuration:
CPU: Old: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @3.2GHz. New: Intel Core i7 5930K @3.50GHz
RAM: Old: 14 GB DDR3. New: 8 GB DDR4.
GPU: ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5-V2, Catalyst 14.9 drivers [for 1.1.1 testing] and Catalyst 14.12 OMEGA [for 1.1.3 testing] (for Linux I also use the AMD proprietary drivers*)
OS:  Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1  / Linux Mint 17 x64 [for 1.1.1 testing] / Linux Ubuntu 14.10 and 14.04.2 x64 [for 1.1.3 testing] (all updates installed)
HDD: Steam installation of Dreamfall Chapters on a OCZ Vertex 4 SSD drive (windows) and on an HDD SATA2 drive for Linux.

*. The open source drivers are horrible (still in 1.1.3) for Dreamfall Chapters (Steam already complains about them when launching the client itself). Dreamfall Chapters runs with the image covered in numerous black boxes and only a small part of it shown to the player (it is unplayable). And in addition it also has the black rays artifacts issue that the proprietary fgrlx drivers have. The fgrlx drivers that you can install via the Linux "Driver manager" are similar in performance (if not a bit slower) with the 14.9 or the 14.12 drivers that I downloaded directly from AMD's site.

Edited by ShadowNate, 19 March 2015 - 11:56.

#2 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:52

Thanks for this.

#1: It's weird that this would happen. The game is set to default to your system's native resolution the first time the game is run. So if for some reason (??) the engine thinks your native resolution is 1018x1030, then it will be saved as that until you actually change it. This is unfortunate, but must be a pretty rare case thing. :)

#2: This is a known issue on Linux. 

#3: This is because we had to disable some Fog Volumes on Linux due to some wonky bugs that came with it. That's why it looks a little different on Windows.

As a side note; Linux is the platform that has the most graphical issues. We're seeing a lot of differences between the multiple OS versions, system setups and GPU vendors/types.

But thanks for putting together this. A good overview of some of the issues for this platform. :)

• Tiago and ShadowNate like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#3 Pingouache

Pingouache

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 05 November 2014 - 19:42

Hello,

There is something about black artifacts on Linux (black rays or black boxes) in the release notes of patch 1.1. Even with patch 1.1.1, I get still many black boxes, above all in Europolis. Are you still working on this, or the problem was considered to be solved with patch 1.1? :P

I also have the same weird resolution (1918x1030) as ShadowNate proposed by default. Maybe not so rare, in fact!

I'm using the brand new openSUSE 13.2 (released yesterday) with the free "radeon" drivers for AMD graphic cards. I tested the game today. No performance issues, the game is very fast, even in Europolis, even with opensource drivers! So, excepted the black artifacts, everything seems to be okay. But the game uses the Unity engine, so does Gabriel Knight 20th anniversary edition (released one month ago), and I have some little artifacts with GK too. Maybe the problem comes directly from the Unity engine.

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:23

Maybe. :)

Regarding the weird resolution; it's as mentioned before, defaulted to the native resolution of your display, at least as reported from Unity (which in turn gets it from the GPU/Monitor). Still rare, I'd say. ;)

Black artifacts are a known issue with some GPUs (especially on Linux systems). We do not yet know if we'll release another patch for Book One or not, so I can't tell you when a fix may be implemented. It is not yet considered fixed, however, if that's your question ;)

• Pingouache likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:15

If it helps at all, as I've noted above, in a 64-bit Linux (Mint 17, all updates) the fglrx drivers don't have the black boxes issue, just the black rays/lines issue.
The opensource drivers have both. Black boxes and black rays.
Which should indicate that at least the black boxes are an issue with something missing from the opensource drivers.

It would also be interesting to find out how Nvidia cards render the same scenes (on Linux). Do they also have black artifacts?

I haven't experimented with any of the switches/variables for the drivers, but if I get sometime during the weekend I may try out a few parameters to see if there is any change at all.

Re: about the resolution thingie. From my Linux system settings the resolution displays as it should (1920x1080), so it must be something wrongly reported to or detected from the Unity Engine for some inexplicable (to me) reason.
  • Morten and Pingouache like this

#6 Pingouache

Pingouache

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 06 November 2014 - 15:18

Thanks Morten!

If it helps at all, as I've noted above, in a 64-bit Linux (Mint 17, all updates) the fglrx drivers don't have the black boxes issue, just the black rays/lines issue.
Which should indicate that at least the black boxes are an issue with something missing from the opensource drivers.

Interesting, I didn't know. But the opensource "radeon" driver is evolving very quickly, and many new features are added every month (or couple of months). I still prefer using this one than the proprietary driver. And above all, I bet that the problem(s) will be fixed more rapidly in the opensource driver than in the proprietary one. ;)

#7 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 06 November 2014 - 15:59

It would also be interesting to find out how Nvidia cards render the same scenes (on Linux). Do they also have black artifacts?

I haven't experimented with any of the switches/variables for the drivers, but if I get sometime during the weekend I may try out a few parameters to see if there is any change at all.

Re: about the resolution thingie. From my Linux system settings the resolution displays as it should (1920x1080), so it must be something wrongly reported to or detected from the Unity Engine for some inexplicable (to me) reason.

Our Linux machine has an Nvidia GPU and there we don't see any of the black artifacts at least. I don't remember what version of Ubuntu is running on it, though.

Yeah, seems like the weird resolution is reported by Unity for some reason. I don't have any idea why at the moment, but we'll have to investigate. :)

Thanks for the testing and reporting by the way. Really helps a lot!

#8 plash

plash

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:19

I noticed the 1.1 notes say that the game always syncs with Steam Cloud when the game exits, but save data isn't getting copied to my other systems when I run Steam. I only tried this after 1.1.1, so I don't know if it worked previously. This is between two Linux computers, and I haven't played the game on Windows yet.

#9 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:00

I noticed the 1.1 notes say that the game always syncs with Steam Cloud when the game exits, but save data isn't getting copied to my other systems when I run Steam. I only tried this after 1.1.1, so I don't know if it worked previously. This is between two Linux computers, and I haven't played the game on Windows yet.

A bit late update from me on this, but I still have the issue that saves won't sync between Windows (Steam) (version 1.1.3.0) and Linux (Steam) (latest version 1.1.3.0). 

Since the OP, I have checked with some other Steam games, and cloud sync across Operating Systems is implemented for the few games I checked. So it should be possible to be implemented for Dreamfall Chapters as well - or is it the case that it is implemented but not working as intended?

The second bug I mention in the original post also still persists; black lines appear where light rays should be, with the latest AMD Catalyst 14.12 (OMEGA) proprietary drivers, on the same hardware configuration as above, only this time I tested on a fresh installation of Linux Ubuntu 14.10 x64 (all updates installed). 

#10 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 February 2015 - 13:27

Black lines (graphical bugs) etc. are always caused by shaders being unsupported on a graphics device, driver, or a combination of a graphics device and OS. Basically, it's hard to please (support) everyone/everything.

Using SteamOS and Ubuntu in-office, we don't have any shader issues though.  :wacko:

We'll always try to support everything, but at this time I cannot promise anything unfortunately. 

There's no special way of implementing "platform-to-platform" syncing of files through Steam. You implement the sync-functionality, and it should work as long as you have syncing enabled. As far as the files themselves go, they're not dependent on any specific platform. They're the same files/file types/etc. no matter what platform you run. 

The synchronization functionality have always been implemented and we've made sure it has been syncing correctly between platforms before.

We'll look into it to see if there's something we can do on our end. :)

In the meantime I guess you could grab your savegames from Windows and manually paste them into the save folder on Linux. :)

• ShadowNate likes this

#11 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 February 2015 - 15:17

For Defender's Quest there was a race condition in the software extension talking to the Steam API leading to game sometimes not performing cloud sync ... (not saying it's necessarily the case here)

http://steamcommunit...936719124002262

#12 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 February 2015 - 18:43

Yep. I've seen that. :)

As mentioned, we'll look into it. :)

#13 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3563 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 28 February 2015 - 20:41

You do realize it's Saturday night, Morten? Are you crunching this bad?
  • Mr Moo likes this

#14 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:36

@Morten, is there a switch for launching the game in kind of a "debug" mode in order to dump any detected problems to a log file? Or alternatively, is there a log file somewhere in the game's installation folder that does this already anyway?

I would agree that it seems that for the light rays issue, the culprit is an unsupported shader by AMD's drivers (as mentioned above the open source catalyst drivers have a lot more issues with artifacts). There was another thread here that mentioned this exact a quite similar issue with Linux and AMD 78xx card (with the open source drivers) (http://redthreadgame...reas-on-screen/) and I think I saw a few threads about this on Steam as well.

I understand that it's not possible to support every particular case if it's not justified by the number of people that are facing the issue or the severity of the issue, but my perceprion was that this was an issue with all AMD cards and not an issue with Nvidia cards (on Linux). In which case we would be taking about a large number of people with this issue (essentially an Nvidia GPU vs AMD GPU issue). Maybe it's not an issue for all AMD cards but only for the HD 78xx/79xx series? Because I'd expect more users reporting this...

In any case, if I could find out exactly which shader/ error was causing this, I could forward this to AMD's support and/or you so that you have more specific details about the issue.

#15 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:25

There is a logfile in the installation folder, in Dreamfall Chapters_Data/output_log.txt

• ShadowNate likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#16 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 01 March 2015 - 15:40

You do realize it's Saturday night, Morten? Are you crunching this bad?

A lil' bit of weekend work has never hurt anyone. ;)

@Morten, is there a switch for launching the game in kind of a "debug" mode in order to dump any detected problems to a log file? Or alternatively, is there a log file somewhere in the game's installation folder that does this already anyway?

I would agree that it seems that for the light rays issue, the culprit is an unsupported shader by AMD's drivers (as mentioned above the open source catalyst drivers have a lot more issues with artifacts). There was another thread here that mentioned this exact a quite similar issue with Linux and AMD 78xx card (with the open source drivers) (http://redthreadgame...reas-on-screen/) and I think I saw a few threads about this on Steam as well.

I understand that it's not possible to support every particular case if it's not justified by the number of people that are facing the issue or the severity of the issue, but my perceprion was that this was an issue with all AMD cards and not an issue with Nvidia cards (on Linux). In which case we would be taking about a large number of people with this issue (essentially an Nvidia GPU vs AMD GPU issue). Maybe it's not an issue for all AMD cards but only for the HD 78xx/79xx series? Because I'd expect more users reporting this...

In any case, if I could find out exactly which shader/ error was causing this, I could forward this to AMD's support and/or you so that you have more specific details about the issue.

The log file can be found at the destination  khh mentioned in the previous post. :)

Initially this seemed to be an issue with some AMD cards - if not all - and from reports we've gotten, it seems to be more prominent when combined with Linux.

We did see the exact same issue on our "AMD"-machine here at the office (R9 GPU w/Windows), and fixed it so it worked on that machine.

I guess there may be some differences between the drivers for the different graphics cards on Windows, Mac and Linux(?).

Can you confirm that this graphical glitch occurs on your Windows installation as well as Linux? Or was this specific to the Linux installation?

I'm going to install Ubuntu on one of our machines today/tomorrow and then I'll see if it occurs for me again. However, that installation will most likely be on a system with an Nvidia card. :/

• ShadowNate likes this

#17 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 16:09

Can you confirm that this graphical glitch occurs on your Windows installation as well as Linux? Or was this specific to the Linux installation?

Just to clarify, the graphical issue in Linux is either black lines (fgrlx AMD proprietary drivers (the OMEGA version))  or black boxes (with the open source drivers). *

Neither of those graphical glitches occurs in my Windows installation (on the same hardware machine). 

* Looking through some of the Steam forum threads I came across a post by some user who reported the black boxes issue for the open source drivers and from what I gathered that issue might be fixed in a git build of the open source drivers last month (the bug report is marked as resolved in the bugtracker). I don't know if this bugfix has yet made it to the official updates for the Linux distros, because I immediately installed the proprietary drivers in my clean Ubuntu system (due to Grim Fandango remastered version demanding those - but that's another story). In that bugtracker thread, there is also a screenshot attachment from the issue with the black lines for the proprietary drivers but from what I understand the open source drivers' developers basically said that they don't support the proprietary drivers etc etc. Edit: I have since tested with the open source drivers as well, and the black boxes bug still persists for me in the 1.1.3 linux version. 

Edit 1: In some good news, ιt seems that the steam cloud sync not working was some temporary thing, maybe related to running the game for the first time or something(?). I ran the Windows version yesterday and played for a while, and today I loaded up my Linux OS and ran the Linux version of Dreamfall Chapters. This time, before launching the game, Steam prompted me with a popup about "the local files conflicting with the files in the cloud" and offered the option to either download from the cloud or upload to the cloud. I opted for "download from the cloud" and now I have access to the savegames that I had in my Windows system. :)

Edit 2: I don't seem to find any .log file in the directory that khh has indicated. (This is for the Steam Linux installation). 

#18 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 March 2015 - 16:55

Edit 2: I don't seem to find any .log file in the directory that khh has indicated. (This is for the Steam Linux installation). 

It's .txt, not .log

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#19 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 01 March 2015 - 17:42

Edit 1: In some good news, ιt seems that the steam cloud sync not working was some temporary thing, maybe related to running the game for the first time or something(?). I ran the Windows version yesterday and played for a while, and today I loaded up my Linux OS and ran the Linux version of Dreamfall Chapters. This time, before launching the game, Steam prompted me with a popup about "the local files conflicting with the files in the cloud" and offered the option to either download from the cloud or upload to the cloud. I opted for "download from the cloud" and now I have access to the savegames that I had in my Windows system. :)

Great to hear!

We've experienced that this is sometimes the issue with Steam. I.e. when opting in for a beta branch in Steam, we generally have to restart Steam for it to register the new branch files. This may be the same for syncing. I've also read somewhere else that you sometimes will have to run the game once, as you mentioned, for it to start synching savegames. Thanks for testing and (somewhat) confirming this. :)

Also good to know that the graphical issues are Linux related. I'm currently in the process of installing Ubuntu 14.04.2. Just tried installing 14.10, but for some reason (most likely some corrupt files) it kept crashing on me. :P

• ShadowNate likes this

#20 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 17:53

It's .txt, not .log

Yes, I noticed that a few moments after I made that edit, but the case remains that there is no output_log.txt or any .txt file in the "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" folder in Linux (I checked and the ownership of the folder is my user account as expected so this shouldn't be due to a write permissions issue). Windows has it, Linux does not :(

This may be the same for syncing. I've also read somewhere else that you sometimes will have to run the game once, as you mentioned, for it to start synching savegames. Thanks for testing and (somewhat) confirming this. :)

Also good to know that the graphical issues are Linux related. I'm currently in the process of installing Ubuntu 14.04.2. Just tried installing 14.10, but for some reason (most likely some corrupt files) it kept crashing on me. :P

I tested again and this does seem to be the case. I need to run the game once for the first time after installing it (it will not sync with the cloud), then exit and re-launch it, and it will sync with the Steam Cloud.

Edit: I removed my Ubuntu 14.10 installation and installed an Ubuntu 14.04.2. On an offtopic note, Ubuntu 14.10 has a nasty bug, whereby it causes CPU load to skyrocket to 100% when you are editing a text file in gedit (the support response from Ubuntu for this bug is pretty much "not applicable in the upcoming 15.04 lol" :huh: . This bug does not seem to affect me in the 14.04.2 so far.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1.1.1, Linux, Windows, x64, steam cloud sync, black artifacts, SteamOS Beta, settings persistence, graphic glitches, AMD drivers, open source radeon drivers, 2.0.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users